Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, so gross...but if your toddler holds it for days and it goes on for a long time, you too will be searching the world for the answer. I guess the dr said it's not that uncommon and maybe it's even a control issue which my son deserves to have since we just moved out of The States.

But save yourself the hassle and the trip to the dr and try this over the counter magic medicine for constipation and other bowel issues. Miralax with the purple top - is now over the counter said my pediatrician. (I found it at Target.) Give it liberally mixed into the drink (can't taste it) until you see how it works with your child and then "dial it back" as my dh says.

Praise Jesus. No more Fleet enemas at my house.

Okay, back to less gross talk. 'just thought another mom might be struggling out there too.

Laura
    "Thank ewe, thank you so much." Brenda Lee Johnson, The Closer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Laura what a funny thing to have in common with you. You know you've heard of being soul sisters when you feel a strong instant connection with another female, but what do we call this? LOL My dd's issue I think is some of a control issue (independent cuss, don't know who she could have got that from! but also she seems sensitive to dairy and starches. Pediatrician told me about this a couple of weeks ago and things are much improved!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My son too has this issue. He is eleven now and still doesn't go on a regular basis. Part of the problem is he will not drink enough liquids, doesn't eat much, and simply doesn't want to take the time away from whatever activity he is doing to take the time to try to go. I have used the miralax, pedi said to give it daily to make him regular, but sadly I forget to sometimes, but it does help.
    ~Carolyn

Pretending to be a normal person
    day after day is exhausting!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh and another poop sister comes to join the club lol. you know what I have found works great I mix the miralax into the smallest amount of apple juice I can get it to dissolve in, like 4oz I think and she has to drink it while I stand there. Because if I leave her to drink it on her own she won't finish it. I don't use it everday because it is so expensive, but I watch her like a hawk and if we are halfway through the second day of not going I give it. I also don't allow her to have cheese or milk until she goes. Ours is definetly a dairy issue along with not enough fruit and fiber

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Laura, I think this is more common than you might think. See, men talk about poop, etc., but it's us who find ways to make it work!! My oldest had problems so bad, he was "backed up for miles," so the doc put him on lactulose. Now my youngest is having problems, so he gets some "green, sparkley medicine" as well. I have to make sure we don't have too much dairy here as well. If my lactulose runs out, I know who to ask without being ashamed!!
    Laura

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, we continue to struggle with Big Mike. Funny, my dh says that our other child is annal retentive but that our Michael is really the annal retentive one. You know?

So the Miralax is expensive but we have to have it. And get this! We have to have it shipped overseas AFTER we pay for it! It doesn't matter though. Otherwise, I'm chasing him around with an enema. Thankfully, I brought several boxes of those from the US just in case.

I'll try the apple juice and standing there thing, Lori. I think that might regulate our schedule with the meds better.

Motherhood...

xoxo, Laura-Beene

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might also try looking for a cereal over there that has a minimum of 14 grams of fiber in it and give him a bowl every morning. There is a cereal here in the states that has that much. I'll have to look at the name of it next time I go to the grocery store, but it also has yogurt bits in it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Barb, the problem when you have a kid that has this issue is a bowl of fiber cereal a day isn't going to cut it even if you can get them to eat it lol. Because the problem is a combination of things, like with Elise increasing fiber does it but only when I also completely eliminate dairy. She loves dairy so I don't have the heart to do that, so that leaves us to do the balancing/juggling act.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make sure they get plenty of liquids! That is the problem with my son. He takes med for ADHD and that keeps him from eating very much, but it is the drinking....I can not get him to drink enough!
    ~Carolyn

Pretending to be a normal person
    day after day is exhausting!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It has nothing to do with what's going in...it's that he won't let it out! The dr said it's a common struggle and to brace myself for it. Thankfully, Miralax is over the counter now.

lb