Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

User Tag List

Thread: What to have?

Junior Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok I'm new to this scrapbooking thing. I have a few templates (friskars), the starter cutter, some stickers, photo corners, and a 12" paper cutter. What else do you suggest for a beginner to have on hand?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A tape runner and make sure everything is acid free. You will need 12" and other paper for matting. Make sure you buy two papers that go together so when you do your pages they will flow better. Those two papers will be facing each other when you open your book.

Diana
    Diana

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you've got a good start going. I would start with what you have and then slowly branch into other things. Don't go crazy buying stuff. You wouldn't want to go out and spend $50 on ribbon only to find that you really don't like to use it, ya know? If you have an LSS near you, it might be helpful to go to a few crops there. Generally, scrapbookers are extremely nice and will show you how to use some of their things and will let you try it as well. But the most important thing is to have fun and do it so that YOU like it. Welcome to the board!
    Cindy
    Independent Beauty Consultant
    www.marykay.com/cynthiaalarcon

Senior Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Echo the 'buying too much' thing. But if you haven't used ribbon, etc. you might consider joining an 'element only' swap next time one comes up. A good way to get a variety of new things to play with without a huge expenditure while you are discovering your tastes!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ditto on the not buying too much, speaking from experience. It is very tempting to buy all the gadgets and then you find out you really don't need them. Use your creativity and make your pages "your own". Good luck.
    Mickie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I totally agree - don't buy too much right away. It's really hard to know what you're going to like using. I remember buying things that I thought would be great and then ended up returning them or they're sitting in my stash not getting used.
    Of course I have to suggest doing the weekly sketch challenges on the board. It's a good way to get started scrapbooking because the design is already done. Just pick your photos, paper and embellishments and follow it. You can use it exact or just loosely follow it and add as much other stuff to it as you want. It's also great to see everyone else's interpretation of the sketch. There's a layout one and a card one each week.

Stampin' Up! - Please PM me to order
    My Blog

2014 cards(4)
    2013 layouts (0), cards (86), other (3)

2012 layouts (3), cards (188) 7/6, other (51)
    2011:layouts (6), cards (142), other (23)
    2010:layouts (7), cards (139), other (113+)

[IMG]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats! You have entered a world full of fun!
    I totally agree with the other ladies however for me half the fun is shopping for all the pretties so it can really start to add up$$$.
    My biggest suggestion would be sign up for Hobby Lobby, Michael's, JoAnn's and your local scrapbook stores for their weekly sales ad and save and use your coupons!! Don't splurg on paper at regular price because they have 5 or 6 for a dollar sales all the time.

Have a blast!
    A cup of coffee shared with a friend is happiness tasted and time well spent.