Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't disregard this because it says Stamping, it applies to all forms of crafting.

Stamping Disorders By Trish Bayley

'Look At It Disease'
    There is an epidemic spreading through the stamping world at a rather alarming rate.

I had to do a case study of this disease if only to reassure rubber stamp artists out there who are afflicted that they are not alone!

It is called the 'Look At It' Disease, I'm mentioning this cos I feel it is a very serious illness which has until now been overlooked.

The look at it disease affects many stampers, old and new, and can strike at any time without you knowing it. As yet there is no cure.

It is a very hard illness to live with and sufferers usually end up with a large collection of stamp items they cannot use.

Look At It Disease can strike when you buy something new for the very first time.

Picture the scene, you send away for something via mail order and wait impatiently for days and weeks for it to come.

Finally the day arrives! The post man has brought it!! You rip off the packaging to reveal a brand new shiny stamping item..could be radiant pearls, pearl ex, pop dots, peel offs, very nice paper...anything.

You hold it in your hands and you fall in love with it, all you want to do is LOOK at It!

You don't ever want to use it incase you might run out of it, so you save it for a special occasion.

Of course that special occasion never comes.

Every so often you get out your buys and stare a while at them and LOOK. God forbid you should use them!

There might suddenly go into liquidation and they might not make it anymore..better to be safe than sorry...just LOOK at it for now...

As you can see the Look At It Disease is a difficult illness, one which all reasonable thought is thrown out of the window. And one which can strike you at any moment! Be safe! Protect yourself from the look at it disease and USE all your stamping items incase Look At It comes to get YOU!!!

This was taken from one of my favorite blogs, when I read it I had to laugh because Donna and I have talked about this several times. I have made it my own personal challenge to use my stuff, I still have room to improve so I am issuing a challenge for you all to post what you items you are just looking at...keeping for something special etc. then use it and post what your work. If you can't post at least come back and tell us what you did and how you feel about it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ROFL!! oh dear me! Yeah don't have that with stamps I have that with BG!

Ziggy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well I don't have it real bad with stamps only a brand new art rubber stamp (hate to get it dirty for the first time) but you don't use up a stamp, it's the things that are used up that I have more of a problem with. A pretty ribbon that I only have a yard of, printed paper, embelishments, fabric oh the list goes on. So now Ziggy are you going to cut a piece of BG???? This is a good challenge because not only does it challenge you to use your stuff it challenges you to do great things with it because nothing less would do now would it?

Senior Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want to address this at great length lat but I am in a hurry. It is a genitic thing. When i was younger we would buy my grandmother things for Christmas, birthdays, Mother days and the list goes on. We would ask why she never used the panties, hand lotion, the toliet water. I know that you are thinking. those are things that a grandmother would smile and give you a kiss and then hide it, and take it out to look at once in a while but that isn't true. It was the same with everything, she would say she was saving it for Sunday. Sunday was like tommorow it never comes. It got to be a little joke with everybody. But then She died when she was 91 years old and when they went through her treasures there all our things and it was a little sad.
    More later

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please hurry with the later!!
    Mickie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree! and I bet it was more than just a little bit sad. And it brings to light the seriousness of the problem, life is too short to not be enjoyed! Even though your grandmother had a long life 91 is great! It would have been nice if she could have got even more enjoyment by using what she had. And on a lighter note, who is seriously going to cherish that really pretty unused paper if something were to happen to us tomorrow? But if we make it into something today there is a good possibility it would then be cherished as something we had made. I certainly wouldn't cherish my Mom's yarn stash (although I would keep it,since I'm a craft supply hoarder lol)but I will certainly cherish the afhgans she had made

Senior Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is so much to say about my grandmother. the reason she was a rat pack was she not only in the depression but she was hit very hard by the Dust Bowl. her and my grandfather had land in Oklahoma, and she had to pickup with her three small kids head to California and lived in tents. She was a Sooner when it wasn't a nice word. But she survived and was also a Rosie the Riverter, or (She was Dora Gertude the Welding operator). They hung onto the land and eventualy moved back. I could really tell some good rat b pack stories, but that is for another time.
    What I am saying is that was one of our leagacies from her. I am a pack rat galore. But I have been changing a little at a time. Three years ago I divided up my giant christmas collection and gave it to kids and stepchildren. I have given precious mementoes to the younger generation so they could enjoy them. It is hard and I have a long way to go but it will be a ongoing thing.Thanks for listening and ther will be more later

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh so true, so true! But I think that the anticipation of having/using of "something" can bring joy as much or more than the "thing" itself.

sam

Senior Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so true

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm also a pack rat, and a product of my mother, whose father lost their farm in the depression. When she died in 1999, my sister and I cleaned out her home to get it ready to sell and to help my brother to divide up the stuff between 6 of us. She loved Emerude dusting powder and we found 14 boxes in her dresser drawers. Now the unusual part of the story. Only 3 of the boxes held powder...the other 11 were full of coins. They weighed a ton. I'm surprized the bottom of the drawer didn't fall out. After my brother cleared out all the coins to divide, I took the boxes and decorated them and sold them in a craft fair. Guess you could call them altered Powder boxes!!

I am improving as I am selling out most of the craft supply stash I've held onto since I closed my craft business in 2000.
    Judith