Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just wondered if anyone has tried making templates of stitches or templates for other things? If so, how did you do it? What materials did you use and how did you cut through it?

I know there was a technique years ago when stenciling was really popular and people were making their own stencils.

Just wondered if that technique would work the same?
    Dawn

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just wondered if anyone has tried making templates of stitches or templates for other things? If so, how did you do it? What materials did you use and how did you cut through it?

I know there was a technique years ago when stenciling was really popular and people were making their own stencils.

Just wondered if that technique would work the same?
    Dawn

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I often make templates.. well sort of templates if you can call them that. What I am talking about is this.. If you get some acetate and using hand held punches (also called plier punches) and punch out shapes you want to use.. then get some graph paper and trace those shapes at different intervals to form a pattern for a border for example.. then you attach to your cardstock with temporary tape or whatever and using hand punches upside down punch through your pattern/template and card. You'll get the perfect pattern/border.
    Now.. did any of this make sense? Well I know one thing.. this gives me an idea for something to add to next months newsletter. I'll get out my samples and show you how
    If I've been talking double dutch.. put it down to me being in a convalescing state and that's my story and i'm sticking to it!!
    I do other sorts of templates but to figure out how to explain might take some thinking.. I'll get back to you on it.

love.. Angie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Angie, as well as being tallented, you are also funny. I understood, so the explanation can't be too bad, cause I "ain't always the swiftest chick on the block" when figuring out directions as I am a hands on learner. LOL.
    Judith

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've made some templates using plastic sheets made for quilters (in most fabric/craft stores). It's a bit hard to cut and now I use any sturdy plastic used for packaging. I've used my die cuts; alphas, flowers, etc. to chalk or stencil. Otherwise I've used an exacto knife & scissors to cut out freehand designs. It's easy to mark measurement/center marks on the plastic for lining up patterns or multiples.

Good question and a nice reminder of this technique -- TFS sam

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    can you use the plastic sheets teachers use for overhead projectors - the stuff they right on and ripe off?
    Dawn

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you were making basic shapes then the transparency would work okay, but I wouldn't want to do anything very detailed (or if you thought you'd be using it a lot) because they are pretty fragile. If I wanted something detailed I would get stencil making acetate, you can usually find it in with the stencils. If you don't care if you can't see through it, cardstock works great too easy to use decorative punch on or your craft knife.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I save (along with EVERYTHING else, LOL) all the clear plastic from packaging. It is fairly easy to cut. Use a sharpe to draw pattern and cut.
    Mickie