Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

User Tag List

Thread: Some Trivia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you ever wonder how greeting cards came about? Wonder no more ! We're listed too (see red highlight)!From Wikipedia:

The first commercial Christmas cards were commissioned by Sir Henry Cole in London, 1843, and featured an illustration by John Callcott Horsley. The picture, of a family with a small child drinking wine together, proved controversial, but the idea was shrewd: Cole had helped introduce the Penny Post three years earlier. A batch of 1000 cards was printed and sold for a shilling each.

Early English cards rarely showed winter or religious themes, instead favoring flowers, fairies and other fanciful designs that reminded the recipient of the approach of spring. Humorous and sentimental images of children and animals were popular, as were increasingly elaborate shapes, decorations and materials. In 1875 Louis Prang became the first printer to offer cards in America, though the popularity of his cards led to cheap imitations that eventually drove him from the market. The advent of the postcard spelled the end for elaborate Victorian-style cards, but by the 1920s, cards with envelopes had returned.

Cards continued to evolve throughout the 20th century with changing tastes and printing techniques. The World Wars brought cards with patriotic themes. Idiosyncratic "studio cards" with cartoon illustrations and sometimes risque humor caught on in the 1950s. Nostalgic, sentimental, and religious images are once again popular, and reproductions of Victorian and Edwardian cards are easy to obtain.

"Official" Christmas cards began with Queen Victoria in the 1840s. The British royal family's cards are generally portraits reflecting significant personal events of the year. In 1953, President Dwight D. Eisenhower issued the first official White House card. The cards usually depict White House scenes as rendered by prominent American artists. The number of recipients has snowballed over the decades, from just 2000 in 1961 to 1.4 million in 2005.[1]

Modern Christmas cards can be bought individually but are usually sold in packs of the same or varied designs. A revival of interest in paper crafts, particularly <span class="ev_code_RED">scrapbooking</span>, has raised the status of the homemade card and made available an array of tools for stamping, punching and cutting. Advances in digital photography and printing have provided a more technological way to personalize cards with photos, messages, or clip art.

Technology may also be responsible for the decline of the Christmas card. The estimated number of cards received by American households dropped from 29 in 1987 to 20 in 2004.[2] Email and telephones allow for more frequent contact and are easier for generations raised without handwritten letters - especially given the availability of websites offering free email Christmas cards. Nonetheless, with 1.9 billion cards sent in the U.S. in 2005 alone, they are unlikely to disappear any time soon.[3]

From the beginning, Christmas cards have been avidly collected. Queen Mary amassed a large collection that is now housed in the British Museum.[4] Specimens from the "golden age" of printing (1840s-1890s) are especially prized and bring in large sums at auctions. In December 2005, one of Horsley's original cards sold for nearly 9000. Collectors may focus on particular images like Santa Claus, poets, or printing techniques.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! Can you believe that the White House sent out 1.4 MILLION cards in 2005? Now 'that's' a card list, lol!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeh, and I bet that they did not hand make them, either!! So, tho' my Christmas card list is shorter, it is BETTER because they are handmade! Viva le Scrapbooking! Woooo-hoooo! We're the best!

Judy
    Judy

A MERRY Heart Does GOOD Like a Medicine!

check out my blogs: http://scrappers.me.com/bitaglitz
    http:judy-forthemoment.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL Judy we need blinkies that say Viva le Scrapbooking!

I'll be lucky if i do Christmas Cards this year

Ziggy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ohh but you can half way cheat and buy a box and add your own stickles or quilling

Ziggy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, so if the White House sent out 1.4 million cards in 05, why didn't I get one? I'll looking for my card from George this Christmas. HA!
    Judy

Check out my scrappy blog at http://scrap-a-doodlestamping.blogspot.com/

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with you Judy, where's my card. LOL
    Mickie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder who paid for the postage on all those cards. Do you think the Prez. did or us.

Donna
    Peace is the cure for all!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is great! I did get one of those christmas cards, I didn't keep it since I know it wasn't personal and how the heck did I get on his mailing list!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No kidding! Did you get a White House card once or do you get one every year?

Maybe we just need to email the White House and request to be put on the Christmas card mailing list, lol!

LOL! I don't think the Pres. pays for the postage. Somehow I don't think the USPS 'donates' the postage either. Hmmm, since we pay for the postage and probably for the cards, we really should get a card from the White House !