Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Junior Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why does everything have to be so difficult and time consuming anymore? I am trying to get a job, any job at this point. All of the little nothing retail jobs have all converted to the kiosk system where they not only want your lifes history, but they give you these stupid questionares that rate you. It's not that I can't do them, it's that they take so long to complete! By the time I complete a couple of them I feel tapped for the day! If they don't have a kiosk they want a resume. I've never had to have a resume in my life, nor have my job skills warranted one (Stay at Home Mom... there's a job title for ya.) My actual past work history is obsolete now, and it was piddly retail jobs anyway. I never did anything worth writing home about at them. So, I'm sitting here trying to write myself a resume and BLOCK. I can't think of one thing to fluff it up. Whatever happened to the days where you just went in and talked to the boss and they gave you a job?
    Thanks for putting up with my vent.

Senior Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I understand your frustrations, but those days are long gone.
    Lynn

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey! Just stay positive and focus on the good! It is hard to go back to work after being at home with you kids--everything is different, but we are still the same. My first job I went in and talked to the owner for 10 minutes and started the next day--that doesn't happen today. Try doing a resume search at yahoo or google. They have resumes for everything now---probably even someone heading back to work after staying home. Just relax, take a little me time to get yourself sorted have a good long talk with the Lord and than get a good nights rest. We are here for you and praying for you!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems these days that applying for and actually getting a job is harder than the job itself! Yes, it's a pain but it's necessary, unfortunately. There are all sorts of places online that can help you with your resume. A resume doesn't have to be complicated, it's just a way to tell someone what your skills are. Be creative, but honest! It may help to concentrate on your ultimate goal (a job with spending money, or whatever your goal is) rather than the process of getting there (that's just the means to your end).

Keeping a good attitude - although sometimes difficult when going through this process - is a must. Not only will it help you, it will put your best face forward to your potential employer. You can do it!! Good luck!!
    Red Rubber Designs
    www.RedRubberDesigns.com
    ~*~*~*~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing to remember to add to any resume are your volunteer jobs - at your kid's school(s) for an example & esp. if you chaired a group. Another suggestion would be to add a small paragraph about your interests like scrapbooking, etc.

Good Luck - You'll get there sam

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Getting a job now is a catch 22 situation. Any job worth going for wants you to have Experience. If you don't have experience you don't get the job, Now if you don't get the job how do you get experience. What a pain in the @$$!
    Don't give up just keeping pushing and you will be able to find the one job that works for you.

As for the resume, do you have Word processing programs on your computer (most computers have them installed when you buy them)(ie. word perfect, ms word...) these programs usually have resume templates in them that you just have to fill in a few things and your done, they also give you an example (Sample) of what to put on a resume.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take a deep breath ... it will be ok. I couldn't see what part of the country you are from.... but around here we need good workers and you could get hired today...LOL.

We have our own business but we are part of a corporation... they have you fill out those questions because they can do a personality evaluation based on it and believe it or not they come out right most of the time. Because we are a independent store we have the right to do this or not. They charge for each one. To big retail stores it's a necessary evil.

Remember a resume is a way to sell yourself on paper... paint the picture good! LOL. Honest - trustworthy- punctual- hardworker these are things you know about yourself that these people don't you have to tell them. And they are good attributes to have mention that your can give personal references to back it up.

Good Luck!

Clarinda
    Clarinda

Mom of three
    Nanna of three

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another way to get yourself out there is to volunteer, esp. for a non-profit, such as a charity, church, hospital, etc. That way, the people know your work, and you know if that's the kind of place you want to work. Even if it's stuffing envelopes, it counts as grown up time, and a way to just be out there. Or you could try a home-based business such as Creative Memories, Close to My Heart or Stampin Up!
    Laura

Senior Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have any computer training? i.e., MS Word, excel, etc.? If not, it might be worth taking a course in these while you are looking,

As for the home-based businesses, just be sure if you decide on that that you are going to be very careful, or you can wind up owing more than you make - like my sister did with creative memories.
    Lynn

Junior Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks gals. I got fed up with it last night and ended up just going to bed. I went to the local unemployment office today and they gave me some great tips. I'm incouraged. I'm going to a resume workshop next week. Till then I am using the spotty one I made up today (if they want a paper one) and the electronic one I made with the office.
    I am in the process of trying to find a class I can take for certification in Office. I know most of the programs in it, some better than others, so I think that I could possibly just test for it. But, to do that costs $$ and ya don't have $$ without a job. Catch 22!
    I have thought about doing a home based job, but I can't drive so that kind of limits my ability to obtain a customer base. Plus I really don't know many other people around here that scrap (if I decided to go that route).