Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know if there is any way to solve this problem, but hope someone has some suggestions. When I was visiting my parents last year, I scanned a number of old photos including their high school graduation photos. I had given my mom my old scanner and computer so it was not a state-of-the-art scanner by any means.

When I try to print out the photos, the most deeply shadowed areas print with an undesirable effect that I can best describe as similar to a crackle finish. Although a novice user, I have PhotoShop Elements 5.0. I've tried doing a Quick Fix, converting the problematic color photo to black and white, using the blur tool in hopes it would soften the shadow and eliminate the crackle problem, etc. If I print the photo in color directly from Elements or Microsoft Photo Editor, it will print without the odd "crackle" effect, however, then there are distracting horizontal bands. I've cleaned the printer nozzles and had other newer photos print nicely so it doesn't seem to be a printer problem (Epson CX5400).

I spent over 30 minutes last night just trying to get a decent print of my dad's picture and I'm wasting time, ink and photo paper at an alarming rate. It's so frustrating! I was able to use the clone stamp to get rid of the unattractive shadow under Dad's nose, but couldn't use the same technique for the left shoulder of his suit. (I'm sure there is a way, but with my limited knowledge, I couldn't figure out how to get it to be similar to the opposite shoulder, but darker.) This will be my first scrapbook attempt so I'm not off to a great start!

Thanks for any help you can provide...

Frustrated in Texas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know enough about PSE to help, but I was thinking that maybe you could e-mail someone like like Linda Sattgast (she does all the tutorials, etc.)

Stampin' Up! - Please PM me to order
    My Blog

2014 cards(4)
    2013 layouts (0), cards (86), other (3)

2012 layouts (3), cards (188) 7/6, other (51)
    2011:layouts (6), cards (142), other (23)
    2010:layouts (7), cards (139), other (113+)

[IMG]

Senior Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont' have elements 5.0, so am not sure of the features, but it is probably new enough for most of this.

First...work on a copy.

Now...did you try the noise filter? You can try the 'dust and scratches filter and play with the tolerances to eliminate some of this. Also try the 'despeckle' filter.

You will probably have some of the larger cracks show. Try the 'healing brush' for some of this.

For things like the left shoulder, you might use a technique similar to what I did today to lighten the shadow under the bill of my son's hat. I used the lasso to select JUST his face, and then under layers, got an 'adjustment layer and lightened JUST his face. You have to be careful with this to lighten just enough and not make it obvious that you worked only on a small part of the photo.

In the future, when you scan, make sure you scan without the 'unsharp' mask...you can sharpen later in elements.

I doubt much of this will hep you iof you are trying to get prints in time for Christmas, because it will take practice and patience. Good luck with it!

Also, just saw this on Sony101. I don't know if they are using elements, but it is only 2 lessons, so may be of some help.

Photo Restoration

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, ladies. Gives me some stuff to try. My mom doesn't have Elements on her computer and I was at her house when I was doing the scanning. That old machine really didn't have a lot of custom options. Pretty much point and click.

I think I did try the despeckle, but will try some other filters, selective lightening, etc. Just frustrating to have the rest of the photo look decent, but then have the darned crackle effect on half of his suit jacket and his tie presenting such a distraction.
    Thanks again for sharing the tips!
    Victoria

Senior Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let us know how it works for you!