Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Punch is stuck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I need some help, my punch is stuck! I was using my favorite MARVY Uchida 3/4" round punch the other day and when I punched down on it, it would "unpunch" (does that make any sense?). I tried beating it on the table and even sticking it in the freezer (boy did my DH think I had lost it then!) but nothing worked. Any suggestions on how I can "un-stick" it????

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmm can you spray some WD-40 in it? then after that get some wax paper and punch through that to get it working again.

Hope you can get it fixed.

Ziggy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tap it all sides and sometimes you have to tap HARD to get them to unstick. Then use waxpaper and punch several to lube it up again. Then if it not improve then use aluminum foil to punch a few and that should do it. Good luck!!

Diana
    Diana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i also have had to push down in the middle on the punch side - metal - not button side to unstick, then wax paper and it is good as new. I wouldn't put wd40 on it you'll never get that off of it
    Janelle
    HAPPY SCRAPPIN'
    Janelle
    http://scrappinscrawcrow.blogspot.com/
    2010: 206 pages - 124 nns; 45 cards - 41 nns
    nns: No new scraps!
    4 best purchases: my lightbox, my Crop-a-dile, ATG, and my Sit-On-Top kayak!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've tried banging it and kinda pushing on the inside of the metal part, but I was afraid to do it too hard for fear I would break it. But at this point I don't care. I'll push harder this time. Keep your fingers crossed. THANKS!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had this happen too, sometimes with a successful outcome and other times not. I usually take my scissors (not a good pair) and tap on the metal side where the punch is stuck (in the middle of it) until it releases. Good luck and let us know what happened.
    bonnie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many, many thanks to you all! After a lot of beating with a screwdriver and a hammer (don't ask ) I finally got the darn thing unstuck! I think punched a lot of wax paper and I think (fingers are crossed) that it is working again! Thanks a bunch!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Karen glad it is working again!!

Diana
    Diana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh I am so glad - remmeber to use wax paper from time to time and hopefully it won;t happen again. I have only had one punch actually break - and it was huge punch and it exploded! no fixing it - and since I got it off Ebay.....
    Anyway, wax paper and alum foil to sharpen should keep them in working order
    Janelle
    HAPPY SCRAPPIN'
    Janelle
    http://scrappinscrawcrow.blogspot.com/
    2010: 206 pages - 124 nns; 45 cards - 41 nns
    nns: No new scraps!
    4 best purchases: my lightbox, my Crop-a-dile, ATG, and my Sit-On-Top kayak!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a little tip for you all. I took a punch back to the shop where I had got it because it was stuck bad.. he took a large screwdriver and held it by the blade... turned the punch upside down and while holding it it started tapping it on the base.. that is NOT over where the actual punch goes through.. but on the base around it.. I was amazed.. after a few minutes it just righted itself. He didn't tap real hard either..
    Now.. having said this.. I've tried it since and it does work however.. I tried it on one particular punch and it didn't. So I guess it's one of those things you try when there is nothing else to try

Another thing though that works in those 'desparate' times is to take the punch apart. I was once too scared to do this but hey.. what have you got to lose.
    I'm thinking these instructions must MIGHT help.. perhaps put them away in a folder called JIC = Just In Case

love.. Angie