Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a link to an article I found on another board:

http://alum.mit.edu/ne/whatmatters/2...y&auid=2797099
    bonnie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not a SAHM and I have to say that sometimes I wish I was and sometimes I'm glad I'm not. I give all you SAHM so much credit. I don't know how you do it. I have some weekends where I can't wait to get back to work on Monday so I can relax! lol.
    But seriously, it's a lot of work to be home with them. I would love to, but not everyday. For me my ideal situation would be to work 3 days a week and still get medical benefits. Unfortunately with DH being disabled and not working, we can't afford that. I think each persons situation is different and you have to think about all aspects. Would there be anyway to take of about 2 years and go back without any career damage? I found that in daycare in the first two years the babies get sick from eachother pretty easily, but it seems to get better when they are a little older. Also, by the time they are two or three I think they really love going to "school" and interacting with their friends. My DD had a really easy transition to kindergarten and I think it was because she was used to going to daycare.

Stampin' Up! - Please PM me to order
    My Blog

2014 cards(4)
    2013 layouts (0), cards (86), other (3)

2012 layouts (3), cards (188) 7/6, other (51)
    2011:layouts (6), cards (142), other (23)
    2010:layouts (7), cards (139), other (113+)

[IMG]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bonnie thanks for that website...That was a good article and Cass I totally know what ur saying about the can't wait to get back to work thing...I did that with my first son, but I don't feel like that so much now, I can't explain why, I think it might have alot to do with the fact that I know this is my last child ..and my oldest is going to b 3 in sept....it's like time has flown by and I can't recapture it....I've already missed out on so much....U guys and ALL ur advice is very welcome ...THANX YA"LL!!!
    Come visit my blog.... Highlandeyes

Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There a couple other options too if you find that you need to work. I would love to be a SAHM but DH recently got a new job with lower pay and I needed to find a job so I decided to go seasonal. I'm not sure how it works in the states but here if you have a seasonal job with a certain amount of hours you can collect unemployment insurance for the times of year you don't work.
    Another thought is to get a job that allows you to be with your kids, like if you don't need that much money but could really use some extra maybe try driving a school bus. Here school bus drivers are allowed to strap in car seats and bring their own kids along, that way you're with them all day and are still making some money.
    I think I'm going to end up combining the 2 because I don't think I'll get enough money on unemployment alone to keep us afloat, so when my seasonal job is over I'll drive bus and cut out daycare and it'll all be great. (I'm an optimist!)

GOOD LUCK!
    Melissa

To scrap or to cook, that is the question!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There a woman who brings her daughter to my son's daycare that does that drives a bus, too. It works out great for her. She makes a good amount of money for it. She drives in the am then goes to her full time job. I think she drives with her kids sometimes, too.

Stampin' Up! - Please PM me to order
    My Blog

2014 cards(4)
    2013 layouts (0), cards (86), other (3)

2012 layouts (3), cards (188) 7/6, other (51)
    2011:layouts (6), cards (142), other (23)
    2010:layouts (7), cards (139), other (113+)

[IMG]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey I am a new SAHM. This is my first time ever. I have a son who is 10. We planned on it so it was an easy transision. We made sure that one of our cars was paid off and we got rid of some cards and other things. We tighted our budget a bit. So far smooth sailing. I am happy right now....My baby is not here yet but my house has never been cleaner. It is so nice to fold the laundry and put it away as soon as it comes out of the dryier. I have more time to actually cook a meal and not get something fast and we are saving a boat load of money on not eating out....I am also making my husband a lunch so he can only eat out 1 time per week at work...I have also been making breakfast and he said he isn't as hugry during the day...The only thing is I have asked my husband for a gym membership for after the baby so I can have a place to go and loose the baby weight..They have a daycare inside....We are saving on gas....OH and I no longer have a cell phone...I have a phone conected to my husbands...and all calls made to him are free...and I purposely didn't give anyone the # and my part of the cell bill has been less than 10.00 per month...Where as before it was around $150.00...

I have been talking to alot of freinds who have been SAHM's for quite awhile...They call me all the time to go here and go there..I have not been critical of them but they go out and shop and go to eat lunch and get there nails done go to the zoo and movies, amusement and water parkds...They are constantly on the go spending money...Then they complain about finances. I keep my mouth shut becasue it is none of my business. And I love to treat myself here and there. And I look for coupons and my son and I have gone out and done things but in moderation... But as a SAHM it is so much better if you actually stay in the home....When you get out you spend $$$$ You should allow yourself a budget. My husband and I have a deal. I cut cupons and get all of the adds and I have been taking them to my Local grocery store and saving no less than $25.00 on my bill...Anyway our budget is $100.00 per week and whatever I save I can have...2 weeks ago I saved $45.OO in coupons...YOU HAVE TO BE ORGANIZED..and not shy because when your in the grocery store and your in line and you have 4 adds and you have to do the price compareson thing...The cashier and the people behind you will get mad...but I don't care...I need more eyelets...

Do what is right for your family everyone is diffrent and one size does not fit all...I read your note earlier because I knew what advice I would give but I wasn't sure if it sounded old fashion...it sounds like I am saying. Stay home clean your house and cook your man 3 square meals....and I am but....I love it...but I know I am going to get teased about it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think my hubby would die if I cooked something. 1st from shock and 2nd from the food itself

Ziggy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh I am not a good cook and my husband was shocked....My idea of a home cooked meal usto be Boston Market...took me a little over a month to get it together...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have two comments:

1. It is really hard to transition from a working person to SAHM. I had to have help with that one because I felt trapped and worthless for a long time. It was 9/11 that sent me home to have children because I thought to myself, "What does all of this really matter?" Now I have two boys who are 17 months apart so I am needed at home and DH is a colonel in the AF so I am their stability. I must stay home but I struggle with being happy about it. Just be patient with yourself in whatever you decide.

2. I am irritated at the thought of the state not funding the services that your first child needs. It's because he's turning 3, right? At age 3, the child is covered by the local school system and they don't always offer what Early Intervention does. You stand firm and don't give up until you get what you need for your son. Don't sign that IEP at the school until you're happy. They have to offer what's appropriate. Keep me informed about that one. I used to work at the state and at a local school system.

Laura
    "Thank ewe, thank you so much." Brenda Lee Johnson, The Closer