Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have any of you done a class for making cards...I need to know how to do this... I have had lots of folks ask if I would do a class and show them how to do some of my cards... I don't know where to begin.... HELP!!! Any suggestions would be great...
    Nancy

Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have any of you done a class for making cards...I need to know how to do this... I have had lots of folks ask if I would do a class and show them how to do some of my cards... I don't know where to begin.... HELP!!! Any suggestions would be great...
    Nancy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having taught punch art classes in the past - my advice is to have everything pre-punched (not put together), but punched prior to the class. Have all of your papers precut (straight cuts) and ready to go. Make sure the students bring materials not necessarily provided for by the class itself - their own scissors, pens, their favorite adhesive to work with, etc., unless you are providing these things for them.
    bonnie

Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bonnie,
    Ok say someone wants to do the flower cards I do... do I just make everything for the card ...would I do all one color or different colors and let them pick the color ...so I have a ton of stuff left over... or are people happy with all doing the same color?? Maybe I could do 3 colors at least a limit of colors.... I am sorry but I am sure there will be tons of questions I will have until I get this figured out...
    Thanks for your help,
    Nancy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How many students will you have? If you have say 10 - it might be easier for them to pick out their own colors and punch/cut out their own items. Can you show me a picture of what you want to teach?

If TIME is a factor, then prepunched would work better, although believe me it is a lot of work for the teacher to prep.
    bonnie

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I say don't worry about the color. Pick what you want. I think that they are there wanting to learn the techniques to do more at home then they can pick the color they want.

The easier and quicker they can put it together they will try again.

Just my opinion... I have only taken a couple of classes and they were mostly to get me to try things that I said I was going to do (and may even have the supplies...LOL.)

Clarinda
    Clarinda

Mom of three
    Nanna of three

Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am thinking about doing a card or maybe even the coffee filter album. I am thinking about 10 people. They would like to pay a flat fee and I bring everything... I think that I would ask that they bring glue sticks, pencils, pens and scissors too and the rest I could furnish. If I would do the card flower I could just set up a bag and place in each bag the card stock cut to card size, the other paper for the front of the card have cut to size with a bit of over lap where they could trim to fit the card. Add the flowers which I would cut to round circles and they would just have to cut petals out and add brads... make each with different papers that match and then all they would have to do is pick out a bag and go with that color...maybe put all the bags in a box and have them draw out a bag of supplies each without knowing what the colors are... then if they want to exchange with each other that would be fine with me. Does the make sense to you???? Same would go for the coffee filter album too but the only thing with that would be I would only supply enough to do about three tags but they would get the idea and could finish up at home... I would take more tags to show different things they could do to give them more ideas... would that sound ok???? Or do you think they would be upset if they had to finish later? I might have to charge a bit more for a project like the coffee filter album then they stated because of all the embellishments. Tell me what you think so far... I am just going at this blindfolded... never I have done anything like this before thanks for your help
    Nancy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nancy,

I have taught small crafts classes for seniors for several years. I make a kit for everyone. Everyone makes the same thing as they want to learn the technique. If you give them color choices and/or the chance to exchange with each other, you will spend a lot of your time making selections. If the kits are exactly alike, then you can spend the time on technique. If you do any succeding classes, you can give them 1 choice the second class, 2 the third, etc. This makes teaching the class easier on you. Also, your students need to learn technique before they have to think about choices. You didn't say if any of these people already SB. If they do, you could have them bring a solid piece of cardstock in a specific size and a coordinating print in a specific size and the you make the embellishments in several colors for them to choose.

I hope this helps. Teaching for the first time is a little scary. Even tho I was a teacher at one time, teaching a craft is a little different. I hope however you choose to do it, it works out well. You may have a new vocation in the making.
    Judith

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nancy.. all the ladies have given you good advice. For what it's worth.. this is what I do.

My flowers are completely different to yours.. if I'm teaching a flower as well as putting it on a card then I keep the flower realtively simple and I have the cards all cut out.. plus any mats etc. I do a variety of colours, and if appropriate, shapes etc. When I say a variety.. Perhaps three or four colours and shapes.
    As for the flowers.. I cut out the shapes so therefore I choose the colours but I do a few different colours. I put all the punched shapes into little zip lock bags. Then they can pick the colour flowers and I've got the others for another class etc..
    I ask them to bring there own tools but I provide adhesives. I do this mainly because the glue needed for the flowers is runny and it saves them bringing a bottle of something.. You know.. sometimes it's far easier to provide everything, material wise, because that way you don't get anyone saying "oh I forgot to bring that".
    Back to the flowers.. I punch out the shapes but I don't trim them where needed.. that is part of the class.

You know.. another idea depending on supplies etc. If I don't think the people concerned will have tools of their own.. I have plastic boxes with a complete set of tools. Each tool in each box is marked with a number. For example.. Box 2 will have a complete set of tools and each tool in that box will have the number two on it. I put a list on the lid what is in the box and get them to check when they're finished that everything is back in the box. This works well. HOWEVER.. I would never have more than four people in a class.. only beacuse the flowers I make can be intricate and being in four places at once can sometimes be hard enough
    From what I've read and what the others have advised.. I'm 100% you'll do a wonderful job.

Good luck.. I look forward to hear how you go.

love.. Angie

Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thank you everyone... for all the good suggestions... and if anyone else would like to add to this I am all ears... I need all the help I can get... thanks again... I will have to start working on setting up some kits and see how it goes. I sort of wish it was at my house but I just don't have the room but it would make it easier for me not to have to take all my tools away from home...As for if they are scrapbookers... I do not know any of these ladies ...all I know is that they work with my daughter and they all love my cards and things I have done for my daughter. Maybe I should tell them that I would do something very easy for the first time and suggest that we do another session in a month or so and see how that would go... so I can get to know them a bit and find out how much scrapping/card making they do.
    Again thanks all,
    Nancy