Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

User Tag List

Junior Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, fellow scrappers!

I am starting my first 'family' scrapbook, meaning I am doing one of a whole year of the life of my family. I am feeling overwhelmed. Before this I have only done small scrapbooks, baby's first year, my son's little league years, etc. Where should I start and what tips do you have for me?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Sunshine
    I've been doing "annual" family albums for the past several years. I usually start w/the year in order. You can tackle this project this way and keep it somewhat chronological OR you can sort your pics and look for "themes" such as a child's sports, changes in hairstyles,
    friends, etc. I went back to "catch up" on my annual albums and recently went back to 1998 and more than finding events, I found the "themes" throughout the year such as my dd playing dress up, both my children in various "jammies", and pics of them w/both sets of grandparents as well as great aunt and uncle.
    So those were the themes I found in those older pics.
    Hope this helps.
    TALLIES 2017
    1. SCRAPBOOK PAGE TOTALS: 6
    2. CARD TOTALS: 3
    3. CARD KITS:

4. MINI BOOK:
    5. OTHER ALTERED PROJECTS: 1

"Dull Women Have Immaculate Houses"

Maria

Senior Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My tip would be...don't stress. I've always ONLY done family in chronological order, and I don't worry about keeping a year in one album...or several years in one. I WAS accomplishing nothing, simply because I never felt organized enough. Now I am using top loading albums instead of strap hinge...I scrap whatever layout I'm in the mood for, and when I get enough to fill an album...I insert them in sleeves.

You may want to be a bit more organized than that, but I still think if you know the overall 'feel' you want, you can make layouts now and do your final organization when you are ready to put in albums.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with illinmom, do your on thing. It is your scrapbook and your creation, you don't have to follow any rules.
    Mickie

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree don't stress. But the thinking through is always the hardest part for me also.

Take a big breath, sit down and jot down things that you know your family does each year. B-days, holidays, vacation(s) than put those pictures in order and see what else you did in that particular year and insert where needed. Than have fun....

I know easier said than done...LOL.

Clarinda
    Clarinda

Mom of three
    Nanna of three

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I first started scrapbooking, like most of you, I was YEARS behind. Since all my photos were still in the photo packages I started putting everything in date order - YUK! I thought "if I have to do this I'm not going to scrapbook". Then a friend told me to just make my pages, put them in a large envelope holder (made for 12 x 12 pages) then when I was done with a year I could organize! I loved it. Each package of photos was a surprise and I finished my albums in record time. I'm not sure it is the conventional way - but it works for me.

And like everyone else has said - RELAX! This is suppose to be fun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    clarinda that certainly breaks it down so you don't feel so overwhelmed. i will certainly keep that one in mind.
    *Mary*

Junior Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    baseball mom- I love that tip! That really takes the pressure off! Thank you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am just begining my son's book, he is now 2 but I was overwhelmed too so I never started it. I bought for it though!! I finally realized they were going to scrap themselves and even if I disliked the pictures or never ahd just the right shot, so what at least I have pictures!! Some people have very little pictures of their past. I sit down and TRY to do about one a day if not more. I have tons of other subjects too to work on so when I feel like I am at a stand still with baby photo's I work on something else for a while. He has his own book and so does my stepdaughter, and hers is no where in any kind of order. THere are pages I have done and she has done and things from her brother to our wedding to playing outside.

LIke the others said just take a deep breath and relax and have fun!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmmmm. I have a hodge podge. I have theme albums- one for Thanksgiving and Fall, one for winter, one for Christmas, one for heritage, one for each DD, one for our farm life, etc..

I just scrap the pictures that I want to do and then put the pages in the corresponding book. Eventually I can go back and organize them in whatever order I want, but for now it keeps me somewhat organized.