Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: soda pop tops

Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When we were at the Arlington Convention, one of the classes used soda pop tops painted and threaded ribbon through each end. Would anyone host a swap where we each send a dozen or so pop tops painted in different colors? If anyone doesn't use cans with pop tops, just let me know and I would send you some so you can join the swap and paint them the color of your choice. Doobie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got a ton of those and a friend of mine was saving me some for a while.

Hmm, last swap I sent these in though I was told my acrylic paint would come off because I didn't prime it first. But I've got alchol inks which worked great.

Ziggy

Senior Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doobie, I've been wanting to host a swap and would be willing to do this one if everyone is OK with that. Can you give me some ideas on how we should do it? - how many for each and should we just make a list of different colors for people to choose? Would you make it small groups. Thanks for your input and let me know if it's OK for me to host this one.
    Lynn

Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Lynn, I have never been brave enough to host a swap yet, but I think I would limit it to about 5 or 6 to a group and make 10 or 12 per person. Let each person state their color, so there are no duplicates. I am curious about the other post regarding if the paint will stick. The ones that we used were painted brown and it looked like just the regular paint we use when we paint brads for a swap. It certainly won't cost much, since the pop tops are free and a can of paint goes a long long way. Shipping would also be cheap, they weigh next to nothing. Let me know what you decide. If you do it, please sign me up for forest green and if there is more than 1 group I will do black also. Doobie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmm I had acrylic paint and I did one later and could tell some of the paint would rub off. Just have to check it and see I guess. I'm trying to remember who told me you had to prime or do something to it.

5 to 6 for a group would be good too

would you specify too if the person was doing paint or alchol inks?

Would you want them all one color? I know with the alchol ink you can blend. Also, on some of the pop tops I did I tried to make them look like Easter Eggs so I had dots and lines trying to go on there too so maybe a multi color or is that getting too complicated

Ziggy

Senior Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I've read somewhere that the best thing to do them with, except for the alcohol inks, is finger nail polish. Let me do some more checking and I'll get back to it.
    Lynn

Senior Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doobie, here's the info I found on the pop tabs. It seems there are 3 ways at least that work for these tabs.

1. embossing powders
    2. Nail Polish
    3. Alcohol Inks

Here's one article I found.

You will need:
    Clear embossing ink
    Soda pop tabs
    Colored embossing powder
    Heat embossing tool
    A pair of tweezers
    Directions:
    You will first coat the soda tab with the embossing ink (I do the fronts only.) Second, using the tweezers, dip the soda tab into the embossing color of choice. Third, hold the soda tab with tweezers and heat the tab with the heating embossing tool until powder is melted.
    Be VERY CAREFUL...it WILL be HOT! You will need to repeat these steps 2 or 3 times for a good coating.
    These can be used as "buckles" for any craft project.

Doobie, why don't you go ahead and do the swap since you are the one that thought of it? I think you would get lots of sign ups.
    Lynn

Senior Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    never thought of embossing powder - wish i would have thought about that before i bought those alcohol inks yesterday

i am going to try that embossing powder today !
    My treasures do not ching together or glitter. They gleam in the sun and neigh in the night." - Arabian Proverb~

Senior Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let me know how it turns out - are you interested in this swap?
    Lynn

Senior Scrapper Penster (pjwlee)'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ladies,
    I did a swap for painted or flocked brads and I used nail polish and it worked great.the cheper the better.
    Like the ones with glitter in the polish.

I'm in this swap 2 groups pink pearl for sure not sure about the 2nd color.
    Penny(pjwlee)
    penster
    "Always shoot for the moon, even if you miss you'll land among the stars!!!"
    "Be the change you wish to see in the world. " Ghandi