Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I need help from someone who uses Photoshop.

If I design a 12 x 12 page in 300 dpi, how is the best way to resize it for posting here? I have tried doing it in Photoshop, changing the dpi to 72 and making the size smaller, but by the time I get it down to posting requirements it's really small. The ones you all have been posting look so good.

Can anyone help?
    Lynn

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the "Save for Web" feature.

Under Settings, I choose JPEG Medium.

Under the Image Size tab, in the Percent box, I choose anywhere from 35% - 50%, to get it to around 600-700 pixels or so. Once you apply it, you get a good idea of the size it's going to be.

Then you just save it. Once you do that, you still have the original PhotoShop file on your desktop so you can save that too (as a PhotoShop file).

The Save for Web feature automatically changes the file to 72dpi. Don't do what I've done in the past: Change the file to 72dpi THEN use the Save for Web feature. You lose a lot image quality that way.

Pam
    Red Rubber Designs
    www.RedRubberDesigns.com
    ~*~*~*~

Senior Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Pam - I'll try that - tried that feature and didn't work first time, so I'll try with your instructions. Will post if it works.
    Lynn

Senior Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK Pam - I tried that and when it finished, it had the same dimensions, etc. that your post did (I saved it to check), but when I try to post, it says the file is too large 300+ dpi and has to be under 100. What am I doing wrong? This is the same problem I was having last night. If I continue to shrink size so it's under 100, it winds up just over 3". Help! Thought I knew something but this is making me crazy!
    Lynn

Senior Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got it to work finally at 19%. Thanks
    Lynn

Senior Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't bother with percent resize.
    First I save my PSD file so I don't destroy anything.
    THEN I 'merge all visible layers' under the LAYER menu
    Now I RESIZE IMAGE, but change the percent in the pull down menu to pixel and set to 600 pixel width (be sure 'constrain dimensions' is clicked
    NOW go to 'save image for web'
    You should see several possibilities from 'low' to 'very high' qulality. Choose the one that gives the proper file size (you can see this at the bottom of the picture--most of my digital galleries require you to keep the size to 150 kb or less)
    That should do it. (I am in PSE4 for Mac, so directions may need to be modified for your version.
    Oh, and close the file WITHOUT saving. Or before you start playing with sizes, duplicate the file and work on a copy to be safe!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just love how helpful everyone around here is!! Some of these questions require an indepth answer and you all take the time to explain it to one another. TY!

As for resizing...I do what Pam does, but first I save the original as my 12x12 and leave it alone, etc. Then I change the size of the one that is still displayed in PSE to what I want it to be where I am going to post it (usually 6x6 or 7x7). I then use the save for web feature. This time when I go to save it change the name of the file by adding... ftw...at the end of the same file name I used for the 12x12 that I already saved. The ftw stands for FOR THE WEB. Now I have a 12x12 that I can someday print, and I have a smaller version saved for posting on the web. By adding the ftw at the end of the same title, the 2 LO stay together in a file in alpha order.

Senior Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks ladies. I've got it now. I just wasn't using the save for web featuring - trying to resize it in Photoshop and that was not working - size when displayed was to small by the time I got it to the resolution it required to post.

And, yes, I always save my psd file, flatten it and then save as .jpg for resizing. Thanks for the help everyone - think I've got it now. The one I posted turned out pretty good.
    Lynn

Senior Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was reading a piece on saving your pictures and layouts. It said never use the original because everytime you use it it breaks down and pretty soon it isn't any good. It also said to make the 12/12 and if you want to print it out to resize it at 8/8 and print it out. There is some more but i am trying to decifer it. I think this is what I was trying to say was to keep the original (picture you take and make a copy to crop and play with) On the lay out she said to make a layout a 12/12 and if you don't have the bigger printer Make a copy of your 12/12 and reduce it to 8/8 to copy on your printer

Senior Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's right Oniska. You can always go down in size without loosing resolution, but you cannot go up without loosing the resolution of the graphic.
    Lynn