Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Junior Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a friend who has asked me to make a book of her son from birth to graduation. I've never scrapped someone else's stuff before. I will be working with photos she put together in an album awhile back. She cropped and glued the photos to neutral cardstock with no embellishments or matting and assembling the pages with no themes. Then, she put each 81/2 x 11 page in a protector and put it in a three ring binder. There are some memorabilia type items (such as medals and ribons) that she has taped into the book that could be removed very easily. She has given me a 12x12 album to put all the photos in to. Rather than "undo"ing all those pictures, I figured I'd just cut them out of the cardstock and use them that way.
    I'm not really sure how to go about arranging this album. When I scrap my books, I make a book for each year for each child and one for family per year. Each page has a specific theme (First Haircut, Roller Skating with Grandma, etc.) I don't have enough pictures of any one event to make LO's like that.
    She basicly has them in chronological order, so I thought I could make the theme by year with some years having more pages than others, but some photos she can only guess his age in.
    I'm feeling a little unorganized and out of my box right now. Could anybody help me figure this out?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would not get too hung up on themes and times of the year. Those are memories are your friend's and she did not record her stuff with that in mind. I think that I would just take each photo or photos and put generic, upbeat titles to them with fun quotes and such. If you can decipher as to what holiday or celebration is happening in the photos then do that theme. Just take a deep breath, start with the first photos and work from page to page. Don't let the 'big picture' of your project overwhelm you.

I would be concerned about the quality of the glue on the old cardstock, however. With twenty years or so of passing time, my photos in those old 'sticky-paged' albums started to turn my stuff yellow, oragnge, and green. So, if the glue she used is not acid free, even though you redo her photos on such, that old glue and carstock may still cause her pictures to turn.

An album does not need to have a color theme all the way through, either. You will have much more freedom in doing an eklectic album that is full of color, patterns, and designs. Each page turned can reveal a new sense of adventure with using whatever color scheme you desire!

Since you are going to get paid for doing this, it might be wise to take the time to "undo" each of her photos. You don't want her to come back some day and ask why her albums are fading.

It sounds like this is a big project but a fun one. You will figure out a system to the whole thing and it will look great, I am sure!

Judy
    Judy

A MERRY Heart Does GOOD Like a Medicine!

check out my blogs: http://scrappers.me.com/bitaglitz
    http:judy-forthemoment.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    THat's a tuffie. I would do the same as you are planning as far as just cutting them out of the cardstock she already has them on. I also agree with the chronological order. Will she help you along as far as when you're working on it, like giving you some more details so you can do some sorts of journaling?
    Cindy
    Independent Beauty Consultant
    www.marykay.com/cynthiaalarcon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know, mommaidwf, she could just plan out tags, and mini envelopes and such for her friend to journal in after the album is done. This way, that part of the album would not be a worry. Anyway, the journaling is best left to the person of whom the memories belongs.

Judy
    Judy

A MERRY Heart Does GOOD Like a Medicine!

check out my blogs: http://scrappers.me.com/bitaglitz
    http:judy-forthemoment.blogspot.com

Senior Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree i would sat down with her and look at the pictures and see if some memories come back.When i look at pictures I always remember something. It might have to do with the clothes theyre wearing or maybe something they did at school. Nothing sparks a few memories like pictures. Then work with the generic. i think she has seen the love you put in and maybe uncounciously wants that also

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did she give you any idea about what kind of look or feel/style that she wants or do you have total freedom? It may help to get some of her preferences, etc. ahead of time.
    Also, discuss with her ahead of time if she would want you to leave journaling blocks for her to fill in herself or if she can write up something that you can then type up for the layouts.

Stampin' Up! - Please PM me to order
    My Blog

2014 cards(4)
    2013 layouts (0), cards (86), other (3)

2012 layouts (3), cards (188) 7/6, other (51)
    2011:layouts (6), cards (142), other (23)
    2010:layouts (7), cards (139), other (113+)

[IMG]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by bitaglitz:
    You know, mommaidwf, she could just plan out tags, and mini envelopes and such for her friend to journal in after the album is done. This way, that part of the album would not be a worry. Anyway, the journaling is best left to the person of whom the memories belongs.

Judy
    Thats exactly what i was thinking too. I did a Baby shower album for my friend and left spaces out for journaling and the pics, I am now (since she loved that one soo much) doing one of her sons baptism (he's also my godson so this is my gift to him) that i will be putting the pics in and letting her do all the journaling. this way she can put her memories and thoughts and make it that much more meaningful to her son.
    I would just put the pics on pages and do each page as its own LO. (that way she can also rearrange the pages in the book if she wants) and leave alittle space on each page for her to journal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    on the album I need to get started on

My Aunt sent me some pics and then I asked her for info about each thing so I'm going to journal a little bit in it. Then I plan on having some spaces for her daughter to write some thoughts in and maybe some other places as well

Ziggy

Senior Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do scrapbooks for my doctor of his Medical Mission Trips and when he gives me the pics, he always writes on a sticky note and puts it on the back any comments he has. Then, (if I can read his writing), I can go ahead and add the journaling. I'm not crazy about designing and page and putting a journaling box on it because with my luck, it would always be too big or not big enough for whatever they wanted to journal.
    Lynn

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know I don't scrapbook much but I guess my personal feelings is that I would want to do the journaling cause this is my child and I know what happen and how we felt at that time better then the person I hired to do the book. So doing like Judy said I would like alot better. But I guess the sure way to know what to do is to ask the lady how she would like you to handle that part of the LO. Sounds like alot of work but I am sure like Judy said take one page at a time and it will come to you. I would also remove the pictures from anything from the old book cause you do not know if they are acid free and putting this kind of work in it would be heartbreaking to have the pictures turn yellow. I guess I would look at this like if this is my photos and pages would I do that?? Just my thoughts good luck!

Diana
    Diana