Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

User Tag List

Thread: ? about inks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought some of the clear stamps at M's today and was trying them out. When I used a permanent ink pad the image was much better than when I used a dye based ink pad. What's the difference and when do you use what?
    Carol
    Carol
    born & raised desert rat
    The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start. John J. Bingham

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought some of the clear stamps at M's today and was trying them out. When I used a permanent ink pad the image was much better than when I used a dye based ink pad. What's the difference and when do you use what?
    Carol
    Carol
    born & raised desert rat
    The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start. John J. Bingham

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Carol I don't know if this might be the cause but it's something I have noticed with acrylic stamps. You kind of have to prime them I ink them and stamp on scratch paper and then re-ink. Also Permanent ink black in does seem to me to be more of an intense black but the Memories black ink is a real dark black as well. Really the only time you should need to use permanent ink is if you are stamping something that you then want to use a wet application over (ex water color)and your worried about it bleeding or your stamping on something that is slick (glossy cardstock, glass, plastic, transparency,tiles) HTH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Carol I don't know but I wish someone who knows about the ink would explain to me. What would be the difference between permanent and dye?
    Mickie

Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I noticed when used regular dye ink that it didn't stick real well to the clear stamps. I have an ink pad that come with the celestial stamps kit and it works great with the clear staps. I don't know what type of ink it is, but the actual pad is more 'spongey' looking than my dye inks. The dye inks that I have have a 'tight' look to the top of the pad. You know what I mean? Any ink that I have that has that spongey top seems to work better with the clear stamps. Like the chalkletts inks works awesome with them. I've gotten the best image from those with my clear stamps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.artwithoutanxiety.com/inkinfo.html

here is a link with some ink info but if you don't want to take the time, the spongy pads are pigment inks rather than dye inks and that ink is thicker, try dabbing it onto a slick surface and you will see what I mean. It therefore sticks to your acrylic stamp better.

Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Regular dye ink won't stick well to clear acrylic stamps because it is waterbased. The permanent ink you used that worked better was probably solvent based. Pigment ink will also work well with clear stamps - pigment ink is what I use most.

DYE INKS are waterbased and are usually used for stamping on all types of paper. Because they are waterbased they will fade with time.

PERMANENT INKS are generally solvent based (but they can also be waterbased) and they are used when you want to stamp images on surfaces such as glass, shrink plastic, metal, terra cotta, glazed ceramic, and wood. They can also be used on paper and will not fade, run, or bleed. This makes them great for stamped designs you want to fill with color using watercolors, Twinkling H20's, Pearl Ex, other paint, etc.

PIGMENT INKS are thicker, richer and fade resistant. These inks are usually best used for embossing because they have a slow drying time.
    "Welcome to reality would you like some popcorn?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Flo, you are such a fount of information. Thank you all ladies, will look more closely when buying ink pads as to what kind they are.
    Carol
    Carol
    born & raised desert rat

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you ladies! This does help alot!
    Cindy
    Independent Beauty Consultant
    www.marykay.com/cynthiaalarcon