Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fiber ??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want to paper piece this and use fiber for hair - does anyone know what kind of fiber / yarn I would look for for individual curly strands?

Thank you.
    bonnie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would just suggest regular black yarn. That is a super cute pic. I can't wait to see the finished product.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Boucle Yarn would work really well and it is easily available. Joann's carries a brand of it for like 3 or 4.00 It's already curly and a little poofy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the craft section at WM you can find doll hair. It's curly and comes in different colors. What color do you need? I have a light brown/blond and red that I used several years ago for ornaments for my DGK. Be glad to send you some.
    Carol
    Carol
    born & raised desert rat
    The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start. John J. Bingham

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeh, Bonnie, You can find some wonderful curly yarns at Walmart, Joanns, or most any place that sell yarns.
    Judy

A MERRY Heart Does GOOD Like a Medicine!

check out my blogs: http://scrappers.me.com/bitaglitz
    http:judy-forthemoment.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by sprout:
    In the craft section at WM you can find doll hair. It's curly and comes in different colors. What color do you need? I have a light brown/blond and red that I used several years ago for ornaments for my DGK. Be glad to send you some.
    Carol
    Thanks for the offer Carol.

I stopped at a yarn shop on the way home, I don't plan on spending $15+ for one skein of yarn, thank you. They also did not have any in the store that I pictured in my head working for this project.

I will check tomorrow at M's after I hit the grocery store for holiday food shopping.

I am anxious to start this project, but first I am working on another snowmen sampler.
    bonnie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bonnie, if you get just regular Red Heart yarn and 'untwist' it, you will get a curl similar to the picture you posted. When you untwist the one strand, you'll get four strands of curled strands. Does that make sense?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have another suggestion. Cheapy yarn like redheart is acrylic so you can mold it a bit. Wet it, tape top to a dowel or pencil, wrap down the pencil and tape at the bottom. Now use your hair dryer to blow it dry, you might be able to use your heat gun if you stay back and keep it moving you don't want to melt/burn the acrylic. You can also just leave the strands to dry on the pencil and they will come off curly. If you want them kind of kinky like is in your example you could take your strands and tape top to a bullitin board then zig zag the yarn down the bullitin board using straight pins to hold the zigs and zags in place, and then tape at the bottom. Let dry. I hope that makes sense, just think of those string art things from the 70's Speaking of that if you wanted to use nails into a scrap of wood that would work to and you could just tie a knot around the top nail, zig back and forth, to the bottom and back up as many times as you'd need to and tie off on the bottom or top nail when you think you've made enough. Can't wait to see it when your done.

Senior Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was going to say exactly what Lori says
    Lynn

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a yarn for my santas and angels hair. I looks like your hair in the photo. I got it at ACM and paid about $2.79 a skein.
    Judith