Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw this Color Cutter on HSN the other night and it looked really cool. It cuts and colors the edge of the paper or photo so it has a colored edge on it!

The man demonstrating had all sorts of curvy rulers to use w/ it. He did all sorts of cool things with it. But you know how that is- it always looks easy on TV!

If anyone has it I would love to hear what you think of it!

Senior Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw this Color Cutter on HSN the other night and it looked really cool. It cuts and colors the edge of the paper or photo so it has a colored edge on it!

The man demonstrating had all sorts of curvy rulers to use w/ it. He did all sorts of cool things with it. But you know how that is- it always looks easy on TV!

If anyone has it I would love to hear what you think of it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Christi.. I saw these at a craft show a couple of years back and yes.. they looked good and looked easy to use. After doing a little research into them this is what I found out..
    Firstly.. the ink in the pens doesn't last too long and once the pen has dried up then it's only good for the trash can. At the time these were priced over $10 Australian.. so for something that isn't going to last too long I didn't think they were really worth it. Secondly... you would have to buy one for each colour you wanted. For me.. I thought that to be rather pricey especially seeing they wouldn't last all that long.
    I had a friend who bought two of them.. one in a red and one in a blue.. she opened the blue one and used it half a dozen times.. three months later when she went to use it again it had completely dried out.
    I don't mean to be so negative but that's what I found out about them. Why pay out that much money for something that isn't going to give you value.. oh and I almost forgot.. the wavy rulers you buy to go with them are not cheap either and only really good to use with the pens nothing else.
    Now.. having said all this.. others may disagree and have had good reviews of them.. my knowledge on the subject comes from a little research and what was passed on by two friends.. so who knows..
    Such a shame because they looked a good idea.

love Angie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just went and looked again at the link you gave Christi.. I suppose the manufacturers may have changed things since when I first saw them. Your link shows a kit of rulers.. well when I saw them you could only get the rulers in a single purchase... however.. the cutter pens look the same.
    My friend Cheryl.. who is standing behind me as I type just commented that her sister's little girl cut her finger badly on one... I am gonna ZIP MY LIPS on this one.. for the life of me I cannot imagine why one would let a child play with one in the first place.. but I'm old fashioned and as I said.. I'm gonna ZIP MY LIPS

Hope all my rambling is worth something.. love, Angie

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow that looks cool i just watched the video and i can see how you want it, i do. and i think the guy does make it look too easy and i just think it is awesome that it colors the edges i always want to ink the side but never come out right. seem dummy proof but i bet once you get it it will be hard and you never use it. looks to easy and to good to be true. they should have gave you two pens black and white.

Angie I am with you this doesnot seem like a kids toy,i will shut my mouth but WHAT WAS SHE THINKING???

let me know how you like it when you get it. tee hee hee.

Janice
    SAS is 5 years old... please join in the 5day online crop!!!!

Senior Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh poor little tyke- she was probably thinking it was just a plain old marker-ouch! Her Mum should a little v-8 smack on the forehead (ok a BIG v-8 smack)!

Hmmm, I am wondering if the product has improved over time- I don't think he mentions how long the marker's last. I was a little surprised to see the kit only includes 1 marker- and no option to get others...

Sneaky Janice trying to trick me into getting it first!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen those before. I kept thinking why bother when I can chalk or ink the edges? I have more color options that way, and I can use a 40% coupon if I don't have a color I decide I want.
    Cindy
    Independent Beauty Consultant
    www.marykay.com/cynthiaalarcon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen demo's of these too and thought they seems so easy. But I agree with Cindy about doing it like she said cause of not knowing anyone that had these I did not want to invest in them. Let us know how they work if you get them.
    I agree with you ladies about the woman whose child got cut what was she thinking leaving them down for the child to get too. Now I will zip my lips!

Diana
    Diana

Senior Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I kept thinking why bother when I can chalk or ink the edges? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good point & I thought that too at first, but this is a very thick line that gives the cropped item the look of a mat layer.

But you guys are right - probably not worth the investment, especially since the kit only comes w/ a black marker!

I saw an online site selling the markers for $5- too rich for my blood if they dry out that fast!

Thanks for all the input ladies I think you saved me some $$! Now, I'll have to go find somewhere to spend it!

Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I'll have to put my 2 cents worth in here.
    I have a collection of these pens - the basic and the metallic colors - and I like them. And they not only work on paper media but some other materials as well such as thin craft metal, plastic, fun foam, and more. I like them not just for the fact that they cut AND leave a colored edge but the marker is permanent on other non-porous surfaces such as glass, ceramic, plastics, etc. so I've used the markers on those surfaces for other projects. They are a simple way to create a quick mosaic look and can add extra 'oomph' to a simple double or triple matted photo.
    As for the other comments made here...

-a young child should not have been using these markers in the first place -after all - they do contain a sharp blade.

- The link to the kit above shows the TEMPLATE KIT which is just one color cutter kit of many HSN usually carries. They have other sets of pens at reasonable prices but they just had a string of scrapping shows and probably sold out of them. And the prices on the pens have gone down.

- I've had my pens for 2 yrs. (some of them may be older) and every one of them still writes. Granted I don't use them on a daily basis but I have always stored them like the rest of my specialty pens on their sides in a cool dry place and not one has dried out - yet.

I only bought the pens, didn't see a need for the ruler templates...you really don't need them. And the first time I got them I DID find them as 'easy as it looks' to use.

The following link can show you some more examples of how to use these pens.

Color Cutter ideas

Just my opinion.
    "Welcome to reality would you like some popcorn?"