Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, My husband came home yesterday and asked me "Where do you want to move??" Well, we were pretty certain that his company was closing his plant at the end of the year, but they moved it up to Aug. 31 for sure! So we will have to move. Luckily they have almost 100 plants we can relocate to, but mostly in the west, midwest, and north, only 2 others in the south which is where we are now. So it's going to be major. We are both 60.
    My quetion is....can you tell me good things and bad things about your state in general...economy, housing, taxes, weather, etc.
    I really think it would help us in our decision. And of course, I want to be near some scrapbook stores!
    Thank a bunch, Marsha
    life is uncertain, scrap first

Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, My husband came home yesterday and asked me "Where do you want to move??" Well, we were pretty certain that his company was closing his plant at the end of the year, but they moved it up to Aug. 31 for sure! So we will have to move. Luckily they have almost 100 plants we can relocate to, but mostly in the west, midwest, and north, only 2 others in the south which is where we are now. So it's going to be major. We are both 60.
    My quetion is....can you tell me good things and bad things about your state in general...economy, housing, taxes, weather, etc.
    I really think it would help us in our decision. And of course, I want to be near some scrapbook stores!
    Thank a bunch, Marsha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have lived in the Los Angeles sine I was 3 and there are some great advantages and some great drawbacks. Property is off the charts, taxes are high, traffic is ridiculous, and people are not always friendly. On the other hand you can't beat the weather, access to activities, ocean or mountains in an hour, and did I mention no hurricanes or tornadoes. I can't wait to retire!!!!

And maybe move to North Carolina

Gail
    Hugs to all of you!
    Gail

So little time, sooo many projects!

Stop by and see me at my blog:
    www.gailgsgoodies.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been in North Carolina for 14 years (transplanted from Pennsylvania) I love just about everything here, the weather is great 10+ months out of the year, the pace is slow, people are friendly, the cost of living is low, and we are 15-20 min off the beach! Raleigh and Wilmington are full of culture. On the downside I miss the color of the change of seasons and sometimes we do have hurricanes. Lisa
    The greatest test of courage on earth is to bear defeat without losing heart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">did I mention no hurricanes or tornadoes </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    LOL! Yeah, but don't you have earthquakes ?

I like everything about where I live in Mid-Missouri. Compared to the rest of the country, land costs are not so bad and the taxes aren't bad either. Cost of living is cheaper than a lot of other states. Living just outside of Columbia, in Columbia there are three stores- Hobby Lobby, Michael's, JoAnne's, and then we have Target and three Super Walmarts, plus two LSS, but those are within 20 minutes drive. People are generally very friendly, which coming originally from the east coast, was quite the culture shock at first. About 45 minutes away is the state capitol of Jefferson City. There is a Hobby Lobby there too. Just over a two hour drive will take you to either St. Louis or Kansas City and both have scrapbook stores and both host scrapbook conventions. Love all the seasons here! The humidity is lower than the ocean side states. We are home to Mark Twain, Daniel Boone, Laura Ingalls Wilder, Jesse James...to name a few, we have caves, the Lake of the Ozarks, lakes, camping, craft shows and festivals all over the state, state fairs, farmers markets, art galleries, museums, theater, outdoor music and movies in the park... lots of things to do here. Housing is abundant and Columbia is growing. Plus our state is clean! You don't see trash on the roadsides or on the streets, the roadways are all maintained nicely, etc. I can't think of anything that I don't like about living here.

My suggestion would be to contact the different government agencies of the states that you are interested in for more information about each particular state. They could send you brochures and other information that you would need to make the best choice for you and your DH.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in Michigan. As much as I love it here, I wouldn't recommend moving here right now. Alot of companies have left here in the last few years. Hard to get a new job and hard to get your house sold and make any money on it. But if your husband is just relocating and has a job, you would be able to get a good deal on a house! In my area or within an hour there are lots of SB stores.

Senior Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in the St Louis area and echo what thecountryrose says. Except I like being part of the metropolitan area. So much to do...museums, amusement parks, access to world class health care, stage productions and symphony, and SPORTS! We get every kind of weather you can think of...except maybe hurricanes. But we can get the rainy aftermath of a strong one. We get cold in the winter, but not like Chicago, for example, where the cold hangs on once it gets there. We get a lot more up and down...freeze a few days, then warm, then cold. Whether that is good or bad is something you would have to decide. We DO get hot in the summer, but probably not by your standards if you are from the south. Lots of 90's and usually at least a couple of triple digit days in late July-early Aug. And here we DO get humidity...maybe from the rivers? But 90-90 days are not unusual in the summer months. We don't get a lot of earthquakes and when we do, they have been pretty mild, but the bootheel is on a major fault, that they say is due for a big one, so....
    Other than that, maybe you should tell us all what you like about where you are, and what you don't like...and maybe what your choices are, and we can give some details.

Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm leaning/and trying to push hubby toward the midwest. I used to live in Branson, MO. There are 3 plants in MO. I know Columbia....midway to everything! He's from the north country, Chicago & Michigan, but his son is in PA. We have too many options!
    Thanks for the imput so far....I'm going to print this off later and show it to him.
    Marsha

Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    after reading again, CountryRose, you should work for the Visitor's Bureau!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think I would recommend the deep south unless you or your DH are from here. Georgia is a great state with lots of things to do and see but Alabama doesn't have much uh . . . except for tornados!