Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have, say, leftover cardstock that is less than 8.5 x 11 inches, how do you print on it? I have an Epson CX5400. Someone suggested taping the smaller paper to a regular letter-sized sheet. If you do that, do you just use regular transparent tape like you would have in your office or do you use removable tape or repositionable adhesive or what so that the paper doesn't tear?

Also, for those of you with Epson printers, do you change the little paper thickness setting to Envelope when you print on cardstock? I've noticed that sometimes when I leave the setting in its regular position, I get smudges of ink on the envelope and I'm concerned the same thing will happen with the cardstock and heavier weight papers.

Following up on some earlier notes, I finished my PhotoShop Elements class. WOW! I was blown away at what this program can do given its relatively modest price. My class was a total of 18 hours and I feel like we barely touched on all the program's many features. I can also see that, like scrapbooking in general, the program could be very addicting. My dogs probably feel like I already spend too many hours in front of the computer!

Also, I did order two magazine subscriptions via E-Bay. Obviously, too soon to know if I will be happy with my experience, but both sellers had excellent track records. I got a year (9 issues) of Memory Makers for $9.17 and a year (8 issues) of Scrapbooks, Etc. for $6.48.

Finally, I ordered a subscription to the Digital Scrapbooking Magazine directly from them after confirming that my mom will buy it for me for my birthday. Now I just need to find the time to actually make my first scrapbook page!!!

Victoria

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well your class and subscriptions sound awsome!!

I don't know about your printing issue, I've never tried it before. Just heard that you can do it.

Ziggy

Senior Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Victoria - I have an Epson 1400 printer to which I just upgraded from an 890 (it wore out!). I have found that the settings offered by the printer vary depending on the software I am using - both the paper type and the paper size; however I have used even very small (as small as 4"x4") and have had no problems. One of the 1400's settings is "user defined" which solves any problems. If you are getting smudging, try printing your cardstock on a matte photo setting instead of envelope, if you are offered that option. Good luck - Ginny

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most printers allow you to print envelopes which generally are not as wide as paper. I just move the paper guide over to accommodate smaller paper (or an envelope) and run it through like a full sized sheet of paper. Just make sure what you are printing fits on the smaller paper.
    bonnie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do this quite often and this is what I do.

I type whatever it is that I want on my scrap, tag, ribbon, etc. and then print it on a plain piece of paper.

After it comes out of the print I use removable adhesive to attach the scrap, tag, ribbon, etc. onto the same piece of paper, making sure it is where I want it to print.

Then I put that piece in the printer and print again. Works great. I don't have a paper thickness guide on mine but this works every time.

Gail
    Hugs to all of you!
    Gail

So little time, sooo many projects!

Stop by and see me at my blog:
    www.gailgsgoodies.blogspot.com

Senior Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like Gail, I do this all the time as well, but don't have any removable tape. All I do is place the regular tape on my pants to remove a lot of the stickiness from each piece.

Senior Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try looking in the printer settings and see if you can set up a custom paper size. Also, some will allow you to choose type of paper, so you can choose cardstock.

Here's something else that MIGHT work. I did this years ago before printers were so versatile and I needed to print on index cards for a test I was giving. I 'fooled' the printer by setting larger margins. For example, in word...I would tell it I was printing on 8-1/2 x 11 inch paper, but set my right margin as 5-inches (so it would leave a 1/2-inch margin on a 4-inch index card) and bottom margin for 7-1/2 inches (again assuming I wanted a 1/2-inch margin on a 4-inch tall piece of cardstock.) I don't know how well this would work with modern printers, but it may be worth trying.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, everyone. Some good ideas to try!

Victoria

Junior Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where did you take the Photo Shop Elements Class?

Jan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took the class at our area community college. As it happens, I teach a couple of beginning classes there (Word, Excel, Intro to PCs) so while I had to buy the book, the class itself was free. Even absent that benefit, however, most community colleges are very reasonably priced.

There are some good books out there that have DVD tutorials and when you buy and register your Elements 5.0, you also get links to some free on-line tutorials, however, I found that other things kept cropping up (no pun intended with the word cropping!) so I really needed the discipline of a class to stop procrastinating on developing a knowledge of the software.

Some school districts offer PhotoShop Elements classes at area high schools through their continuing education programs, too, so that's another avenue to explore. Good luck in finding a class!

Victoria