Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

User Tag List

Thread: What size card

Junior Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What size card would I use for a standard size envelope? I would like to get into card making but don't know where to start.
    ~~~
    Patty

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Patty, I mostly cut an 8.5 by 11 in half on the 11 inch side. When you fold the two pieces in half, they each fit nicely into an invitation sized envelope. If you have enevelopes already, you can just measure them. Double the width of the envelope so you can fold it ( though you will want to shorten it about 1/4 inch to make sure it fits without getting the top edge bent) and cut to length, again taking off just a smidgen. That's how I got the size for the long cards that I made from one of the challenges. Or, you can buy plain cards and envelopes in a package together and you just decorate. HTH. Happy Card Making!
    Cindy
    Independent Beauty Consultant
    www.marykay.com/cynthiaalarcon

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I buy the packs at HL when they go on sale. It's like 50 for $4.50. Than just decorate the front and the inside of the envelope. I'm the kind if I can open the can or box to make something I will... this is the can of sbing...LOL.

Clarinda
    Clarinda

Mom of three
    Nanna of three

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The office supply stores sell boxes of the size Cindy is talking about. I got a box of 100 for about $7 at Office Depot. They are perfect for 1/2 of a standard 8 1/2x11 cardstock. I typically make square cards thought and will be ordering a box of those env. online.

Stampin' Up! - Please PM me to order
    My Blog

2014 cards(4)
    2013 layouts (0), cards (86), other (3)

2012 layouts (3), cards (188) 7/6, other (51)
    2011:layouts (6), cards (142), other (23)
    2010:layouts (7), cards (139), other (113+)

[IMG]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also buy the plain white cards that come with envelopes and decorate the outsides. I also did pick up a pack of colorded ones at Joann's one day and use those too.

Then if I make a card with out an envelopes, I use my kreate a lope form QVC. I love that set, I had an old one form 10 years ago and ordered the newer one at christmas time. It does cards and the envelopes to match sizes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Create a Lope too- so handy and you don't have to do any math . And, if I'm taking the time to make a card, I want to make the envelope special too. But, you can buy premade envelopes and cut your cardstock to size. I would just make my card measurement about an 1/8" less wide and less tall than the inside dimensions of the envelope.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have taken a envelope apart carefully and used it for a pattern to make my own. I try not to buy envelopes anymore. I always have to much paper around so I just use it or when I buy special paper to do a card I buy one for envelope to match.

Diana
    Diana