Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, I'm officially dreading summer, because I'll have both my boys 24/7. What are some free and/or cheap things to do to keep them entertained? They are 5 and 2 1/2.

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>library
    do Thomas trains at stores that have the train tables[/list]

any other helps?
    Laura

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometime you can find a cheap matinee which could be good for a rainy day. One of our theaters has a specific day that I think may even be free, but you don't get to choose the movie or time.

Playground

Take them to the free craft events they sometimes have at ACMoore if you have one of those. Joann's has some, too.

Set up play dates with other kids and you can socialize with the other moms or take turns supervising so you can have some free time.

I'll try to think of some more.

Stampin' Up! - Please PM me to order
    My Blog

2014 cards(4)
    2013 layouts (0), cards (86), other (3)

2012 layouts (3), cards (188) 7/6, other (51)
    2011:layouts (6), cards (142), other (23)
    2010:layouts (7), cards (139), other (113+)

[IMG]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take them to a neighborhood or city park. Get them one of those little kiddie pools. Do they lke to draw? You could get them a big chalkboard. It beats having 5 billion pieces of paper all around the house, lol. The library may have some free events over the summer like story time, ours does science things. Check any local museums and see if they might have something special going on where kids are half price or something like that. Michael's may be doing something, I know ACM is. If I think of anything else, I'll let ya know.
    Cindy
    Independent Beauty Consultant
    www.marykay.com/cynthiaalarcon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My son and I use to "paint" out driveway almost every day and he loved it. All we used were old (and I mean old) paint brushed and water mixed with a little water color paint. He had the best time painting designs all day. As soon as a rain came it disappeared. Oh, by the way DO NOT do this to the siding of your house

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The sprinkler!
    bonnie

Senior Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CHeck your local newspaper for special FREE summer programs.

One summer I got my DD's into a really cool dance program (modern dance) which was free and given by one of the best (& most expensive) dance instructors in the area.

Libraries are a great idea like CIndy said- ours has a Summer Safari Day where the kids bring a stuffed animal and a bag lunch, and also a Teddy Bears picnic day for the kids to bring their T-bears, as well as other special events through out the summer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our local news had a top 5 free/cheap things to do in the city, so I got the details from that;

Home Depot has "clinics" the first Saturday of every month for free. They also let you do kid's birthday parties there as well. Cool, huh?
    Laura

Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finger paints, homemade playdough, nature walks, gardening, bug/flower/leaf/rock collecting, baking... that's all I've got for the moment, will post more later if I can think of any. Good luck!
    Melissa

To scrap or to cook, that is the question!

Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    local zoo
    go to the park
    watch the planes take off and land near the airport
    collect flowers
    go to a state park
    fishing
    fairs, festivals, field days

I guess it all depends where you live...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The painting the driveway ALWAYS words well for mine. We use the crayola Paint Chalk that washes away with water. and then the regular paints.

You could even have them go on a Treasure hunt in the back yard. Hide something like; chalk, bubbles, water guns....etc then draw up a map of your back yard, pick a few different areas and draw a picture of them to go to the next one.. (ie. have them start at the back door, with a pic of a swingset...they go to the swingset and search for the next pic which could be....another toy, tree.. etc and so on until they finally get to the TREASURE..) the searching could keep them busy for some time then the joy of playing with the treasure they found will keep them busy even longer.

My kids also like to search for different types of bugs, put them in a jar and watch them, then let them go. You could have them see who collects the most bugs and do a prize, then also a runner up prize....