Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

User Tag List

Thread: Cooking for one

Junior Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In case you all don't know I live with a friend and her family right now. They have entirely different eating habits than I do. I was cooking meals for the whole family at first, but they really enjoy eating out. So, I started cooking for just myself. First, I made the recipies as they were but found that I could not eat all the leftovers by the time they went bad. I froze some, but there's not a lot of freezer space for me. Then, I reduced the servings in the recipies and found that the leftover ingredients (half a can of diced tomatos, etc.) would end up going bad before I could use it. To make this long story short, I need some recipies that don't cost an arm an a leg that are made for one person. TIA of any help.

Senior Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are some sights that might help you:

Cooking For One

Effecient Cooking For One

Also, at All Recipes when you choose a recipe you can type in the number of servings and it will automatically recalculate the recipe for you.

Food Network- Table For One

Cooking For One Forum on the Thrifty Fun Message Board

Hope you can find something helpful!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love www.allrecipes.com

They probably have something for one. Or Cooking for 2 and than have it for lunch the next day.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All I can say is good luck, lol. I'd never make it cooking for one. I always have food leftover.
    Cindy
    Independent Beauty Consultant
    www.marykay.com/cynthiaalarcon

Senior Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use to cook for one, and found that the small George Forman grille is wonderful. It's a healthy way of cooking and you can do one piece of chicken, pork, steak and also then pop on your veggies just before it's done. Make a salad and wala you're done and no leftovers. There were times I would make two pieces of chicken and the next nite just put the other piece in a nice salad.
    hth and also those sites that were posted are really great.
    Donna

Watch your thoughts; they become words. Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits. Watch your habits; they become character. Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.

Quote by Frank Outlaw

Senior Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Donna-Ditto for me- I love my Foreman grill! One of the best things I ever got. I do chicken, turkey bacon, burgers etc. And it makes wonderful panninis! DD Rachel is always after me to make her a pepperoni mozzarella pannini. I have to admit it is YUMMO!

Junior Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! Thosesiteswere helpful. I also got some good ideas with a search for healthy dorm room cooking. I've been in a cooking frenzy today. I made 3 different meals. One I divided in half and froze both halves. Another is for lunches for the next few days and it is in the fridge. The third one is in the crockpot right now. We will be eating it in a little bit, the rest will be divided up and froze.
    The crockpot one took forever in the prep work, but it will serve a lot. With me working (hopefully soon) I'll have to save those kinds of meals to make on the weekend, or my day off.
    You guys reminded me that I have a teeny tiny electric skillet! My Dad gave it to me in my early 20's. I never really used it then, but it'll come in handy now! It'd be great for a single peice of chicken or beef!