Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought some watercolor pencils from HL on saturday? they were on sale. But I bought the ones with the AP label and not the specific ones that said Acid free. I e-mailed the AP label people and got a pretty quick reply that they don't test for acids. It is non-toxic and wouldn't harm you if you ate it but they aren't testing archival quaility.

Ok so if I use the pencils on a piece of paper and find wherever the heck I have my acid testing pen should the pen be able to test the acid content in what I colored?

Ziggy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well now Ziggy... I don't know the answer to this one.. however.. a couple of years ago I was talking to someone.. too long ago to remember who.. and they said that although some pencils, chalks etc. had 'acid free' written on them.. there was really no need because they were all acid free.. of course this doesn't help you but I thought I would put my 'ten cents' worth in here
    I suppose if you did as you say.. tested an area where you had put the pencil and if it comes up clear.. then I guess it would be safe to say it is ok. Who could we ask???
    Let me know how you go..
    love.. Angie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you can ask me! lol You are exactly right Angie, watercolor pencils, chalk, paints, none of that is acidic. Acid is a paper product thing. Think of it like this remember when the "no fat" craze hit? You saw the label "non fat" on things like hard candy and licorice-funny thing was they never had fat in them. The only thing you need to worry about are paperproducts, but you do need to worry about things like plastics, styrofoams because although they aren't "acidic" they do give off fumes and have chemicals in them that can harm your photos.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ah ok I thought so but wasn't sure. Wasn't sure if the acid free on the other set of pencils was just to get sbers to buy them

Ziggy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that is exactly what is going on when you see acid free on a scrapbooking item that is not paper lol. Like acid free ribbon! That one cracks me up.