Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm seeing some beautiful card lo's on here. We are thinking of doing home-made cards for our card ministry at church...figuring it would also be a good fellowship thing. But one question I have. How much postage are you having to put on these cards. There are beautiful, but I'm not sure we can do the postage for everyday use.
    Thanks for the input.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure of the exact postage, but I use two stamps because I know one isn't enough. But you really only need about ten cents extra. And I think some of it depends on how bulky the envelope is as well.
    Cindy
    Independent Beauty Consultant
    www.marykay.com/cynthiaalarcon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have not made or mailed any of the square cards, but I know those cost more. Thicker lumpy cards (with pop dots or thick chipboard) cost 17cents extra. that is all I know. Maybe someone else can chime in with their experiences.

Senior Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WEll, 2 years ago the postage for our 40 Christmas cards was over 50 cents each- DH came home from the Post Office and said YIKES! (actually that is the PG version of what he said )

I try to keep it under control when designing a card, but this year I made them heavy again, so to solve the money problem - I am only sending the handmade ones to closest family & friends.

The rest are getting printed ones I designed on the computer and embellish lightly with stickles.

SO postage if it is an issue, is something to keep in mind when designing and assembling your cards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did cards for my church's pastor to use and just kept them fairly simple. Here's a link to one of them. simple card
    I've also used photos of sunsets, flowers, etc. with card corner punches.
    HTH
    Carol
    Carol
    born & raised desert rat
    The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start. John J. Bingham

Senior Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the input. Keep it simple, huh? Actually 17 cents isn't bad. For some reason I was thinking it would be about $1.70 to send, and that would be way too much for church.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't realize that if the cards weren't oblong they would take more postage, I saw it on the news the other day! So I will only send the handmade ones to special people. I asked at the PO on Monday and she said it would be the .17cents. So, guess I will have to get a bunch of them too.

Very pretty card too!
    Grandma to Hunter, Autumn and Xander!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This week I also found out that heavy cards, over 1 oz., are also the extra .17 cents even if they are standard envelopes. But it takes alot to make a card that heavy. Mine had been stuffed with a shaker box and a clear stamp- so I paid .17c for the hand cancellation for thickness, plus .17c for extra weight, in addition to the .41 cent postage!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the growth in handmade cards is going to save the Post Office!
    Cindy
    Independent Beauty Consultant
    www.marykay.com/cynthiaalarcon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The PO has a template that they use to determine if something is within normal postage stamp range. Anything over an ounce or over the template size gets charged an extra $.17 over the $.41. It would cost you $.58 to mail one over the template, one ounce guideline.

I bought a handy little PO template (none of ours had an extra one ) at Greensneakers.com. When I make my cards I know right away if it's going to cost me more . You can see the template here:
    http://www.greensneakers.com/R77510
    costs $1.00, make you wanna holla, lol!