Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Family Trees

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guestion. I am trying to figure out how to do a family tree-type of layout for both sides of our family. Have any of you made one? I am intimidated. Any ideas? I do not have photos of grandparents any further back than my grandparents. But, I do have an extensive list of names that take us back to Europe to a now extinct Jewish Villiage and to an Indian Princess from a tribe that inhabited Long Island (My father's side) and back to European Royalty (Mom's side)? Do I include all these twists and turns or do I just keep it simple? Or do I do a pape-by-page lay out of each individual until I get to the 'lists'?

Judy
    Judy

A MERRY Heart Does GOOD Like a Medicine!

check out my blogs: http://scrappers.me.com/bitaglitz
    http:judy-forthemoment.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guestion. I am trying to figure out how to do a family tree-type of layout for both sides of our family. Have any of you made one? I am intimidated. Any ideas? I do not have photos of grandparents any further back than my grandparents. But, I do have an extensive list of names that take us back to Europe to a now extinct Jewish Villiage and to an Indian Princess from a tribe that inhabited Long Island (My father's side) and back to European Royalty (Mom's side)? Do I include all these twists and turns or do I just keep it simple? Or do I do a pape-by-page lay out of each individual until I get to the 'lists'?

Judy
    Judy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good questions! I just got information while I was back home this time and that is the one thing I wanted. Can not wait to hear what the ladies suggest. My list is not as far back as yours but I hope to get it done when I stay home for awhile. Darn I want to stay home and get things done. But I have to go with DH for a month or he will be unhappy and feel unloved. Could I clone myself and then I can do both!!I don't think the world is ready for 2 of me!LOL

Diana
    Diana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    aww you're making me wish I got that book now. Hmm can't remember what it was called it had a few family tree things but not that elaborate. I remember a very pretty one that had tree branches of two different types of trees representing each family.

I think the page by page LO of each person would be a good idea and then do the 'lists' maybe have a little embelishment representing where they're from and all?

Ziggy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems to me that doing a single layout for each individaul relative would be fun because I could put all the little memories and information passed down through the family about them. On the other hand, it will be a HUGE project!! But, the "tree" idea means that I have to figure out how to fit them all on a double layout and be readable and not overwhelming, visually. Like you, Diana, I am hoping for some good ideas on how to approach this.

Then we can discuss how to scrapbook all the military photos I have of my mom and dad from the days of WWII!!!!!

Judy
    Judy

Senior Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://genealogy.about.com/od/free_c.../fan_roses.htm

Here is a site for a gen chart I don't know if this will help but it is pretty

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    judy, i just took out a book from the library...Family Tree page ideas for scrapbookers. it by memory makers. haven't had a chance to really look it over well. but it does seem interesting with some good ideas.
    *Mary*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could do the "tree" part as the title page, with page numbers by the individual branches. That way, if someone wants to look up grandma jones, they follow the page number. Sounds like a big job, but worth it when you're done.
    Laura

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was going to suggest the same thing as Laura. I saw it somewhere, but can't remember where. If the tree is too big, maybe you can do a separate tree for each side and then use the number system.

I would def. include all that Indian Princess info. That would be very cool for the future generations to read and pass down about their heritage.

Stampin' Up! - Please PM me to order
    My Blog

2014 cards(4)
    2013 layouts (0), cards (86), other (3)

2012 layouts (3), cards (188) 7/6, other (51)
    2011:layouts (6), cards (142), other (23)
    2010:layouts (7), cards (139), other (113+)

[IMG]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Judy and other ladies..
    This is a good question that you ask.. I was talking to a friend the other day who wanted to know the same thing and I told her I'd give it some thought. I want to try come up with something different but effective. Family trees are all so different and therefore all too often the designed layouts for doing a Family Tree doesn't work.
    Before I became partially disabled and got into craft I was a full time Genealogist and worked for myself for nearly 15 years... I'm a published author of two local history books here in Victoria (Australia).
    When I was forced to retire from my work I thought that one thing I could do was to design different types of family trees to suit the individual families... so... thankyou for your question here.. you've got me thinking.. If I come up with something useful I shall let you know.

love... Angie