Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

User Tag List

Thread: melting crayons

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2 1/2 YO who has discovered breaking crayons in pieces and I know there is a way to melt them down to make a bigger multi colored crayon. I would like to know what is the best way to do this. Like what temp to melt them? What kind of pan to use to melt them in?

Thanks for you help in advance!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/cr_paper/article/0,2025,D...3771_5214163,00.html

lol had to go to the 'other' board. Craft Lab is finally all new and I like their show set up better now. They just did a crayon show so I looked that up for ya

Ziggy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you so much ziggy!! I never even thought to go there LOL!! I even have some of the throw away aluminum pans too. I think i will try this this weekend withmy stepdaughter her to help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was a kid we used to put the shredded crayon pieces in between wax paper and then iron it - we made bookmarks out of them. I know that wasn't your question, but it just reminded me of that.
    I think Crayola makes a crayon maker that you use leftover bits of crayons with. I saw it a few years back and am not sure if they still sell it.

Stampin' Up! - Please PM me to order
    My Blog

2014 cards(4)
    2013 layouts (0), cards (86), other (3)

2012 layouts (3), cards (188) 7/6, other (51)
    2011:layouts (6), cards (142), other (23)
    2010:layouts (7), cards (139), other (113+)

[IMG]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I generally put the broken crayons in paper muffin cups and put in the oven at 400 degrees. It doesn't take real long for them to melt and the muffin size is just right for little hands. Lisa
    The greatest test of courage on earth is to bear defeat without losing heart.

Senior Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a way to make new crayons from the old by melting down & molding or cutting w/ cookie cutters.

Cookie Cutter Crayons

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do this all the time for my class at school and they love it. I use old glass jars to melt the crayons in a pot of hot water (don't mix the colors, but you can put different shapes together, it won't matter). DO NOT MELT THEM IN THE MICROWAVE!!!!!!! Just do the old double boiler thingie and it works great. I use all kind of things for the molds. Look at the plastic packages that cookies come in, the ones that the manufacturers don't won't to get squished, and you can find some really fun shapes. I also make layered crayons by letting the colors harden (in the fridge) before adding the next layer of color (old ice cube trays work great for these, the cheaper and thinner the tray the better). If you have a candy or cake making store near you, you can find cute candy molds in the shape of stars and hearts. They have all kind of different shapes and the children love using them. Good luck and have fun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all so much for all these great ideas!! I can't wait to do something with all these broken crayon's I have stashed! I do have quite a few of the cant molds too from my candy making days. Faster plaster and candle making molds that I just couldn't bring myself to throw out. Glad I didn't!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This was a good idea. I'm going to make some of these for my DGS. He'll love them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I brought home a big box of crayons that one of my co-workers found yesterday. I finished the hardest part which is peeling them last night and I've already started melting them. Which is why I am writing this now. BE SURE TO TURN ON YOUR EXHAUST FAN of your range or OPEN SOME WINDOWS, the smell is a little strong for some. It smells like your nose is stuck in a big box of crayons