Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just got a Sizzix on ebay for $30.00. It's the original one and it also includes converter for sizzlet dies. Now, I've never used one of these so this will be a new experience for me. I have a question about the converter. I know I can use Sizzix and Sizzlet dies, but can I use Cuttlebug too? For any of you that have the original Sizzix, I would love any info you can give me about dies/converters. Also, where can I purchase the dies and cutting pads for a good price?
    Thanks for your help!
    Diana
    Proud Grammy of Maggie Lane
    War Eagle!!

Check out what's happenin' at my blog:
    http://www.dianasausomecreationsetc.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just got a Sizzix on ebay for $30.00. It's the original one and it also includes converter for sizzlet dies. Now, I've never used one of these so this will be a new experience for me. I have a question about the converter. I know I can use Sizzix and Sizzlet dies, but can I use Cuttlebug too? For any of you that have the original Sizzix, I would love any info you can give me about dies/converters. Also, where can I purchase the dies and cutting pads for a good price?
    Thanks for your help!
    Diana
    War Eagle!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Michaels and ACM has the dies and pads. Most of the stuff is on sale as Sizzix is being discontinued except for thr Big Cut, I think. One of the ladies on the board has her sizzix on sale on ebay. Her name is fotonana. You can pull her up and see what she has. Go to the swap and sales thread and ask for what you want, then anyone selling their stuff will find your request and contact you by PM.
    Judith

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Judith. I've been trying to research all the info, but it's somewhat confusing. First, there are at least 3 types of Sizzix, then I keep hearing about converters. I'm not sure if the converter I got is all that I need, or if there are others. Then, I'm thinking I may need more than one cutting pad.....the questions are endless! But.....I really wanted this machine so I can cut thru chipboard.
    Diana
    War Eagle!!

Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can use Cuttlebug dies with the original Sizzix but I don't know if you also need the ADAPTER which is different than the converter.

With the ADAPTER you can also use QuicKutz and AccuCuts Zipemate dies.

Sizzix Adapter

And don't forget that the newer Thin Cuts are the same as Sizzlits and can be used in your Sizzix along with the new Original dies.

Our Joann's has stocked a LOT of the new dies now and I noticed that right on the package they are now listing which machines each die works with. That will take the guesswork out of it when shopping.
    "Welcome to reality would you like some popcorn?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Flo! I was also wondering - on the thin cuts - can I use those to cut out chipboard? I was thinking that if the die is thin, I probably can't do that. But, I'm hoping I can cut out chipboard on the regular sizzix and sizzlets dies. Can I?
    Diana
    War Eagle!!

Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Diana,

The REGULAR SIZZIX dies (small, med, and large) can all cut chipboard. The SIZZLITS and THIN CUTS cannot (a Sizzlit and Thin Cut are the same thing). They were made for cutting single layers of paper or cardstock only.
    Suggested Materials a Sizzlit/Thin Cut can cut at one time: (1 each)

Adhesive-Backed Paper
    Cardstock
    Paper
    Vellum
    Film

I have used those same thin dies to cut fun foam, heavier foil/holographic papers, thin craft/embossing metal, textured cardstock, and other specialty papers as seen in some of the examples below but it does take a little more effort.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the info Flo. Love all your die cuts. One other question - do you need a special converter or adapter to use the embossing folders? I saw a card that Cass did where she used one, but I'm not at all familiar with those. Have you used those?
    Diana
    War Eagle!!

Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yes, I haves loads of embossing folders. All you need is the converter to use the embossing folders.

You can also easily emboss with regular brass stencils using your SIZZIX machine WITHOUT the use of a Sizzix embossing folder. Here's how:

You'll need an old mousepad and the Sizzlits converter. Then layer your items like this:

1) Sizzix cutting pad
    2) cardstock shims (number depends on how deep an impression you want)
    3) mousepad piece cut to the size of the cutting pad or just slightly smaller
    4) your item to be embossed
    5) your brass stencil

Put on the sizzlits converter and emboss. You can get a light impression or a heavier one on how many shims you use. The brass stencil edge will leave an impression on your paper, so you'll either need to trim your item to the size of (or smaller than) your stencil or be prepared to trim afterwards.

*REMEMBER - The embossing folders made for the Sizzix are made to fit COMPLETELY under the pressure plate.
    If any of your stencil is protruding out from under the pressure plate it will result in a bent stencil.
    If done properly you shouldn’t have any problems. But…..if you do end up bending a stencil, just turn the stencil upside down and place it under the pressure plate again and press to flatten.
    The images below were done with regular brass stencils using the technique above.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WOW Flo! That's awesome! I can't wait to get my sizzix and try all of these new things!
    Can you purchase the embossing folders at HL or Michael's? I know I've seen the sizzix dies, but I've never paid much attention because I didn't have the sizzix. I see alot of the Coluzzle stuff too. Is that another die cut machine? Can you use those dies in the Sizzix? Sorry for so many questions, but I don't have a clue!
    Thanks for all of your help!
    Diana
    War Eagle!!