Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since my dd & dgks are with me this Christmas season, I thought that a nice lo would be with our Christmas eve candlelight service. I can just picture 6yo Jacob's face lit by the candle but I've never taken pics like that before. What is the best way to get a good pic? With flash or without? Special settings? Special film? My camera is a Canon Sure Shot, not fancy but usually takes good pics.
    Judy

Check out my scrappy blog at http://scrap-a-doodlestamping.blogspot.com/

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a digital girl. Can't you gte high resolution film though for reg cameras? Like fast film. I think 800 speed or even 1600?? for low light.

Here is a suugestion by a pro.
    If you're trying to stop action at low light levels, you must use a flash (not always desirable because of its artificial look) or fast film or digital settings (ISO 400 or higher), which is very sensitive to light. However, the quality of fast film is less than that of slow film. You can "push" film by rating it at a higher speed than that suggested by the manufacturer. For example, you can push ISO 400 film 1 stop to ISO 800 or even 1600. Just remember to mark your film canister so you can tell your custom photo processor what you've done. Remember, a film that is to be push-processed must be exposed at only one film speed; you can't change the exposure meter's ISO setting to a different film speed in the middle of a roll.
    Oh and the link too.
    http://www.sederquist.com/clanight.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine is digital too and I don't use flash in cases like you describe because I want the light source to be soft and warm looking on the photo. My camera has a low light setting on it and I sometimes use it and sometimes I use auto mode. Does your camera have a low light setting on it? My DD's each have a Canon Rebel and they have low light settings on theirs too even though they are film cameras. Can you take a few pics in/on different settings/low light and get it developed by one hour photo and see how they come out? Then you'll have a better idea on photographing the Christmas Eve service.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And..most churches do not permit flash photography during any service. So be sure to check with your pastor before you take any flash photos. I use 800 film in my 35 mm camera when I have low light, but I've always used the flash. Hope it works out so you can get those shots. They should be great.
    Judith

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the Picasa photo program (free download) in the basic edits, you can use their 'fill' button and it will help you fill in more light to show your photo more clear. And you can also go into the advanced effects tab and use a 'fill', 'highlight' and 'shadows' tab to adjust the picture. And one more thing. You can use the 'sharpen' button in the advanced section, too. And if you don't like any of the changes you make to your original photo, this program allows you to go back and bring the photo back to what you started with. It works really well.
    Judy

A MERRY Heart Does GOOD Like a Medicine!

check out my blogs: http://scrappers.me.com/bitaglitz
    http:judy-forthemoment.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used 1000 speed film before and it works great without the flash. The secret is a steady camera and it is a bit difficult without a tripod.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll see what I can do with it.
    Judy, I did a search & found the Picasa program & download with no trouble. Thanks.
    Judy

Check out my scrappy blog at http://scrap-a-doodlestamping.blogspot.com/

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Baseballmom:
    I've used 1000 speed film before and it works great without the flash. The secret is a steady camera and it is a bit difficult without a tripod.
    I know with my tree I was trying to get one with no flash and it took propping my camera on a chair to get a steady shot. Hopefully you can prop it on something.
    Also when i was in Hawaii to take pictures of the city lights...No flash at night...ALWAYS had to prop the camera up.

I used the top of the car many times.

*thinking about it* I need a tripod LOL