Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

need some prayers

We have a 10 yo Queensland Heeler/Corgi mix that has always been very active & energetic. He start started slowing down a couple of months ago but nothing too major so we chalked it up to age & the temp getting warmer. Then last week he stopped eating so we took him in. The initial blood work was positive for tick fever but negative for Valley fever. So we started him on an antibiotic & prednisolone. Not much change but doing ok. Then this morning he didn't want to move, wouldn't eat or drink so back in he went. They did an x-ray this time & the radiologist thinks the mass they found IS Valley fever because of where it is, size, shape, etc. So he will have to be on an anti-fungal for quite a while. Everything I read on the Internet says up to a year. We pick him up at 6:30 so will be able to ask more once this has sunk in. Just pray that, if it is Valley fever, we caught it early enough to cure it before it does any damage.
    Carol
    born & raised desert rat
    The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start. John J. Bingham

Senior Scrapper PaperPossibilities's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, how worrying. I love my dog, Teddy, and am always devastated when he gets sick. Thinking of you and your dog, Carol. I will pray.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vet said it was actually advanced enough to have walled itself off was why we got the false negative. So far not much change. Barely got his medicine down him this morning. Won't touch the food the vet sent home but would eat hot dogs so that's what he got. I am really worried because all I read is that the treatment is almost as bad as the ailment, & even then, it doesn't always work. It's a widely held opinion that you can't live in Arizona for any length of time without getting valley fever. I'm a native &, as far as I know, I've never had it. Just feel so bad for him.
    Carol
    born & raised desert rat
    The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start. John J. Bingham

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aww. Hug n prayers for your friend and you! They are part of the family! We will pray all will go great n not like you've read!
    Clarinda

Mom of three
    Nanna of three

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are still battling his nutrition issues. He's lost 6.2# since Feb. (& he only started at 28.8#). We picked this bad boy up from the vet this morning (it's 60 cc). We're using it to push a slush of prescription canned food & broth into the side of his mouth. Got 15 cc in this morning.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Carol
    born & raised desert rat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Between the cat & her meds & the dog with his food & meds, we're starting to look like a pet pharmacy. And, we have no life. One or the other needs something every 2 hours or less. The price we pay for getting & keeping them healthy.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Carol
    born & raised desert rat

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On! When my kids were little I never took the pets to the vet! They were muts n very healthy! Lol now I never took the kids much either! I always tried home remedies first unless I figured they needed meds! Lol. Now I take my pets each year for their shots... guess I can pay now for it n where we live we have heart worms so bad I don't want to be the cause of them! Our oldest at 14 has lost almost all his hearing this year. I've taken him to the vet lately for a cough ... well he has lits of fluid around his heart! He takes meds each day now too n if I forget he starts in that coughing! Last night when he coughed I thought well I need to go get him some more medication!

So i totally understand your love n dedication to them! Your a good pet momma! Hugs!
    Clarinda

Mom of three
    Nanna of three

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most of our pets (& we have had a FEW) have been very healthy.The only other one that needed medication was a 18 yo DSH that had high blood pressure. Other than that, they just go in for annual check ups & vaccinations. I live in the desert so Valley Fever is fairly common. The saying is "If you've lived in AZ for any length of time, you've probably had it".
    Carol
    born & raised desert rat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, after almost a month of force feeding & medication he is still losing weight. So we took him to an Internist today. He's there now getting more bloodwork, x-rays & an ultrasound. Hopefully we will know what is actually going on after all this. Poor baby!
    Carol
    born & raised desert rat

Senior Scrapper PaperPossibilities's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So sorry he is still unwell. I hope the Vet can figure out what is happening. It's heartbreaking, isn't it.

My little dog has Pancreatitis and gets very unwell at times. He needs to go in and be put on a drip and have painkillers and antibiotics when he has an attack. It's a life threatening condition. He is just such a sweet little dog.