Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My DD, who is in Kindergarten, seems to have lots of teachers: her main teacher, her teacher's aid, a student teacher, she spends a lot of time with the other K teacher and she has a special class once a week. Do you give gifts to the teacher's aide and to the student teacher? What about the gym teacher, music teacher, art teacher...? How much do you give?

With all my DS preschool teachers, my DD teachers and her afterschool school, I may need to take out a second mortgage to get everyone a gift. LOL. I would like to express how much I appreciate what they do with my children but how much is too much? What have you done? I plan on giving gift cards. Is that tacky?

And if you are a teacher, what have you received that you liked or disliked?
    "My mother said, 'You won't amount to anything because you procrastinate.' I said, 'Just wait.'" Judy Tenuta

I'm thankful for piles of laundry. It means my loved ones are nearby.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about just a nice thank you note telling them you appreciate what they do. Do teachers really expect a gift? Did they chose that profession to be given a gift at Christmas and at the end of the school year? I think not.

Both my brother and his wife are or were teachers, my SIL being an elementary educator. I don't recall them ever saying they expected a gift.

If you want to get them a gift (and yes, I did get my son's teacher (not teachers) a gift for the holidays, especially kindergarten because I helped out in her class alot with parties. However, I made the gift (so I did have to buy supplies). From there on out, I don't believe any of his teachers were given a gift for the holidays.
    bonnie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the past when my boys have had more than one teacher I always got the "main" teacher a gift and than the other teachers/aides a homemade card with a kraft bag decorated with homemade goodies inside. I love to bake so this is fun for me. I do this for the music teacher, PE teachers and the office staff and admin, also. I work at the school and believe me they love the goodies just as much if not more than the gifts since they tend to get so many gifts.

Here are some ideas for goodies...

*Rice Krispie made with those red and green holiday marshmellows.

*The pretzel/rolo thing is always good. You take the bite size pretzel and put a rolo on top of it--put them in the oven long enough to warm the rolo (2 minutes) and than take it out press it down. DONE and OH SO GOOD!!

*Marshmellows dipped in white chocolate and then put holiday sprinkles on them.

*Gingerbread Cookies

*Snowmen Hats---Oreo w/big marshmellow on top dipped in chocolate.

I could go on, but running out of time. H0pe this helps you out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think any teacher expects a gift but I know from experience that the regular education teachers at my school rake in the goodie and the special education staff gets little or nothiong. We don't do the job for the goodies but the appreciation is very nice. Handmade notecards, home baked goodies, a tree ornament, any thing from the heart, even a decorated can for pencils. Just some ideas.

Gail
    Hugs to all of you!
    Gail

So little time, sooo many projects!

Stop by and see me at my blog:
    www.gailgsgoodies.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Luann - I only give a gift for the main teacher in elementary school, not the art teacher, gym, etc. I would give the teacher's aide a little something, too, but not as big as the main teacher. I know some people buy for the bus driver. I have a bigger problem at daycare for my son, he has two teachers (one is the lead), then there are a few college age girls that help out in the afternoons, the Director and the other woman that is more of the accountant or something, but she's always around. It gets a little crazy. Last year I made all the main teachers (he had three in that room) sets of handmade note cards that were personalized with their names along with a little bag of chocolates. The helpers just got the bags of chocolates. I made all the bags with the Cricut Tags, bags and boxes cartridge....lots of fun. I think I'm going to give his main teacher a Michaels gift card because I found out she's a crocheter, knitter, scrapbooker and just generally crafty and lives across the street from Michaels. Not sure what to do with the others. maybe the candy thing again.
    One year I did the cookie and muffin layered mixes in Mason jars and decorated the tops.
    I could use some creative ideas for this year.\

That pretzel rolo thing sounds good, I never heard of that. Do they come out like chocolate covered pretzels with caramel in there somehow?

Stampin' Up! - Please PM me to order
    My Blog

2014 cards(4)
    2013 layouts (0), cards (86), other (3)

2012 layouts (3), cards (188) 7/6, other (51)
    2011:layouts (6), cards (142), other (23)
    2010:layouts (7), cards (139), other (113+)

[IMG]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Cass17:
    That pretzel rolo thing sounds good, I never heard of that. Do they come out like chocolate covered pretzels with caramel in there somehow?
    You just barely push the rolo into the pretzel so that when hardens they stay together. They are so good--the salty and the sweety tasty goody together!! haha!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Kids had lots of teachers and the kids expected to take gifts to all the teachers. I usually made each of them an ornament and a special card. Or another year, I did the goodies and notes.

When I taught, I got lots of cologne, soap, etc that I had no use for or could not use. I really appreciated the handmade ornaments and gifts. I still have some of those ornaments today, even 30 years later.

Baked goodies are always appreciated as I didn't have time to bake a lot until I was off for the holidays.

Hope this helps.
    Judith

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gifts in a jar are good for giving too. You know the mason jars with all the dry ingredients to make cookies (or whatever) along with the recipe to go with it. Easy to do assembly line fashion too.
    bonnie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was just thinking about how I was doing the big veggie cans as teacher gifts and filling them with goodies. You could do smaller cans (from home) for the aides or extra teachers and than they could use them as a pencil holder after they eat all the goodies. You could make a special tag that read something about goodies for now a pen holder for later. I don't know..

Look at sample under altered items--altered fruit/veggie cans.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been teaching pre-K for over 12 years now and I have to admit, the gifts I love the most are the homemade ones or personal notes. I once received an ornament from one of my students that she actually made herself! It was a clear glass ornament that the Mom pour several colors of paint in and the child swirled it around. I treasure it! Simple yes, but I knew the child did it herself.