Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do you organize all your scrapbooking files do you have good way of doing this...???? I just downloaded lots of things... but need some ideas of how to keep things straight and know what I have...
    Nancy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am new at saving these files/kits, but so far, I am organizing mine by kit. I title my file by the name of the designer and then name of the kit. Ex: Rhonna Farrer_Treasure

I would love to hear how everyone else is organizing theirs.

Senior Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interestingly enough, I asked a similar question on the GottaPixel forum earlier today. My conclusion is that there isn't really an ideal way, but I have a few less than ideal things to try.
    Meanwhile...here is a link to the discussion...
    http://www.gottapixel.net/forum/show...446#post197446

Senior Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't figured out yet. I have most of mine in a digital folder. One woman said to put them in a folder with subfolders of the designer and or the company. i got a lot from shabby princess or scrapgirls etc. I have also kept my zippfiles in a folder for backup. They also said as you get more files get a external drive for the files because they can take up a lot of space. Suggestions would be appreciated

Senior Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I"m going to tell you what I do, and what I've tried that isn't working (for me), hoping someone can modify it into a system that WILL work...

I also put mine in a 'digital elements' folder, subdivided by web site, and then by designer, or challenge prop, or whatever. This helps me keep track when crediting.

But all too often, I find that while I usually use a kit for a page, I want to add JUST ONE MORE THING! Like the other day I wanted a red flower. I KNEW I had one SOMEWHERE and ended up spending 20 min browsing every kit for that flower. So obviously, the folder system alone doesn't work.

I tried using Bridge (part of PSE5 for Mac)to assing keywords. It SEEMED like a good idea, but I found out that Adobe 'doesn't support XML for PNG files' meaning I couldn't add a keyword to those. Even more important, while researching, I learned that when Adobe ADDS keywords to jpg files, it actually modifies the file, and over time, if modified enough, the quality degrades. Iguess that could be overcome by unzipping again, but then I'd have to add all the keywords again, and some would still be unsearchable that way.

I also experimented by opening the PNG in PSE and saving as TIFF or PSD, which would accept keywords, but the files increased in size by about 10 times, so not really an option unless I want to invest in a lot of hard drives!

Another possibility is to use a program that WILL allow XML to PNG so I can assign keywords (iPhoto for Mac or Picasa for Windows are some choices) This COULD work, but my problem here is that first, it would take a LOT of time to assign keywords, and second, it would mean keeping ANOTHER copy of the files on my harddrive. I could probably work around that by deleting the original unzipped files, but until I am ready to commit to spending the time to assign keywords consistently, I'm not going to start it.

So that leaves me with this....
    I am keeping my files in nested folders as described above. It seems like most, but not all, designers put the type of element in the file name, like'carls_148_ribbon.png' So I can use Bridge to browse kits or 'find' any file name within my 'digital elements' folder containing 'ribbon'. It is not a perfect system, because it gives me EVERYTHING with ribbon, and not just one color, and it MISSES ribbons that aren't named that way. But if I find an 'unnamed' ribbon, I can modify the file names slowly, and maybe add color.

It is the best I've come up with. But if any of you have any suggestions, I'd be happy to consider if they will work for me.

If you've read this far...THANKS!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I save mine to Cd's. I have different categories such as, masculine, feminine, general, holiday, vintage, retro, etc. I also list the name of each kit on a piece of paper and keep it with the corresponding CD. I have a case of just digi kits. I have well over 40 now!
    As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no idea what to do. I was going to try to organize them through the PSE program, but now it doesn't seem like a great idea from what I'm reading here.

Stampin' Up! - Please PM me to order
    My Blog

2014 cards(4)
    2013 layouts (0), cards (86), other (3)

2012 layouts (3), cards (188) 7/6, other (51)
    2011:layouts (6), cards (142), other (23)
    2010:layouts (7), cards (139), other (113+)

[IMG]

Senior Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cass,
    From what I read, Organizer is NOT really the same thing as Bridge, so it MIGHT work for you. And things may be different in the windows version. My info came from a Photoshop Elements discussion on the Adobe web site.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have photo shop elements, do I have this bridge or organizer? And where do I find it if I do?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use picassa it is free...with gmail. It organizes your files the same as photoshop elements plus you can post them a free on a free website. Mine is posted below.