Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In your opinion, what makes a great lo? We have several ladies on this board who do really great los. Mine are ok but most of the time they are a long ways from great. A lot of page maps that you see these days have lots of layering. Does that do it? What about colors? How many of you use a color wheel & do they really help in making that big splash? What about embellies? How do you choose the perfect embellie? How do you go from ok los to great ones?
    Judy

Check out my scrappy blog at http://scrap-a-doodlestamping.blogspot.com/

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Judy I am with you... I would love to know what is going on in the mind of other scrappers. I like clean lines...doesnt happen. I try a little of everything and seems like I have not found the secret of a great page.

The only thing I can say if you like it then it is a great page. no matter the styles of others if you like yours then you have just made a great page.

I must Say Jusy are are right up there with the other great ladies on this board. you are to hard on yourself.
    SAS is 5 years old... please join in the 5day online crop!!!!

Senior Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Judy, First let me say I love your LO's. I see nothing wrong with them and think they are Great!!
    Second, I think everyone has a style that makes each one different. It is the person that makes them great because that is what they are feeling when they make the lo.
    We are very judgemental of our own work and sometimes can't see how wonderful it really is because we see our little "boo boo's".
    A LO that cost $1 to make can be more wonderful and beautiful than one that costed $20.
    Put love into the LO and its "GREAT".
    I scrap to please myself and that makes it wonderful.

I love using brads, eyelets, and the latest items, but I don't worry about others...

So I guess you could say in my opinion what I think make a great LO is making myself happy by doing what I want.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't say my LO's are great, but I do use a color wheel sometimes. I like to make my own embellishments since I don't really like what is available in the local stores and I'm not a big sticker person either. It's very rare that I see any stickers that I like.

I do know many rules of art though and the eye needs a place to rest, your eye should be able to travel around without going off the canvas, but more in a circular manner or one thing leading to the next- a path to travel visually, and there needs to be balance of weight and color, etc. for it to be pleasing to the eye. Texture adds visual interest as well. You can choose bold, soft, flowing, etc. and you can mix some of these, but one should be the predominant statement or you end up with a hodge podge affect that isn't pleasing to the eye. Does that make sense? There are other rules too, but these are what come to mind right off hand.

But I agree that it should be pleasing to the maker. Every artist expresses him/herself differently.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since we all have different tastes and likes and also different abilities, I think a great LO is what appeals to you. I try to keep my LOs simple. I don't want my photos to be overpowered with stuff. But that might not be what others prefer. I do use stickers, but a lot of them are 3d ones. I try to be selective, and I don't like everything I see.

I will say that I haven't seen an ugly LO on the board. And I have scraplifted some of them. But also, there are different styles and I appreciate that. I may not have done the LO exactly as another did, but it always stimulates my ideas. I have learned so much.
    Judith

Senior Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I echo what has been said. Everyone has a style, and what is great varies. I can appreciate a lo and think it is beautiful, but it may not be ME and ma not be something I would ever personally duplicate.
    But I think what makes a lo outstanding to me has a few things in common.

The photos are the focus....regardless of how beautiful the elements are, my eye should be drawn to the photos.

It should convey the memory. It may be enough to have a simple title and date, but it should have enough journaling and detail for my family to pick up the page and know a little about what was going on at that point in time.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me ... now, I feel that the journaling, a focal photo, and a small, unexpected detail that helps to convey the style &/or story make a LO great.
    I don't know if my LO's do all that... but I feel very compelled to journal... I missed the importance of that in my earlier years of scrapping and wish I had written more and stickered less!! LOL!!
    TALLIES 2017
    1. SCRAPBOOK PAGE TOTALS: 6
    2. CARD TOTALS: 3
    3. CARD KITS:

4. MINI BOOK:
    5. OTHER ALTERED PROJECTS: 1

"Dull Women Have Immaculate Houses"

Maria

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a degee in graphic arts, but anyone can get a book on basic layout design. The most important thing to me is ballance. If a page is off ballance, it's not going to apeal to the eye no matter how many cute embellies you have on your page! A common mistake I see over and over is not enoght on the page or too much. Color is probably the easiet to master, but they should be appropriate for the mood of that particular page. We want the photos to be the focaus of our layouts, not the paper it's sitting on. I do think that clusters of embellies look nicer than a lot of junk scattered all over the place. The eye needs a place to rest, as someone above stated. Get some books on basic design, and your pages will POP! Good luck, ladies! Have fun with it!
    As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To me a great layout is about the pics. I want to be able to see the picture(s) first and then everything else makes it pop.

Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Karen: Great pictures = great pages.
    "If it's unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!"