Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

User Tag List

Page 35 of 43 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL....depends on who you ask....

Quote Originally Posted by tlc3plus View Post
    What a wonderful photo....

Love the story.... what you mean brown cows don't produce brown milk! lol

Clarinda
    0---altered items
    0---cards
    0---layouts
    0---recipe pages

Cyndi....

Put "eat chocolate" at the top of your list of things to do today. That way, at least you'll get one thing done.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love the chickie pictures and the story about the kids.
    0---altered items
    0---cards
    0---layouts
    0---recipe pages

Cyndi....

Put "eat chocolate" at the top of your list of things to do today. That way, at least you'll get one thing done.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awww, they are beautiful! I've never held a chick either, not that I remember.
    So I have to ask, why do the all the stores have mostly white eggs? What kind of chickens lay those?
    TALLIES 2017
    1. SCRAPBOOK PAGE TOTALS: 6
    2. CARD TOTALS: 3
    3. CARD KITS:

4. MINI BOOK:
    5. OTHER ALTERED PROJECTS: 1

"Dull Women Have Immaculate Houses"

Maria

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most commercial egg farms use White Leghorns...They have the highest egg per feed ratio and when they are a year to a year and half old and they are not producing at one egg a day or more, they are used in commercial dog and cat food...Sold as stew chicken or ???

Commercial egg farms keep their chickens in cages, they are forced to lay by way of keeping them under light for 16-18 hours a day and fed, soy based, GMO, feed for fast growth and faster maturing so they lay sooner...They are in wire cages, no nest box, just squat and the egg rolls back or forward and down a shoot to a collection belt...

Most chickens begin to slow down on their laying after about a year and half...Like maybe one less egg a week, so commercial and even good egg farms need to rotate their inventory...I'm not about the mass of eggs I get...It's about the quality of the eggs she lays...Good food, fresh air, sunshine and freedom...If they get old and quit laying, them we'll deal with that then...

LP worked on a chicken farm here in Oroville when he was about 19-20 and even it was not as bad as the some of the commercial farms are not and he said he quit because it was inhumane...

FDA says if a chicken is let out of it's cage for 15 minutes a day, it is cage free...If chickens are all kept in a large area like a big room and they can go to which ever feeder they want to eat, that's free range! Imagine 200-500 chickens in a room trying to find food...That's not free range, that's capitivity...

So a lot of what you see on the egg cartons is very mis-leading and false, but out sweet government allows it...

But then remember there are some good egg farmers out there that do mass production with my care taken for the chicken, but they are just harder to find...
    Karen

The little voices in my head keep saying..."Get more Chickens!"

...The difference between *life* and *living*...When you have someone close, someone special, a *Best Friend*, it's *Living*...When you lose her...it's just *Life*...
    ....Perhaps they are not stars in the sky....But rather openings where our loved ones shine down to let us know they are happy....
    ...FAITH is the bridge between where I AM...and where GOD is taking me...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, you know... I need to go visit our egg guy way more often.
    Thanks for the info and it's too sad.
    TALLIES 2017
    3. CARD KITS:

4. MINI BOOK:

Maria

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It gives all chicken farmers a bad rep...A lot of towns will not allow chickens because they think they are dirty, carry chicken pox (which they do not get or carry) and that they can not thrive in a back yard...They do very good in a small space, some chicken breeds are for this and some are better free rangers...

I wish the government had better control over the treatment of livestock in general, especially at large commercial facilities and processing plants...Some day I hope!
    Karen

...The difference between *life* and *living*...When you have someone close, someone special, a *Best Friend*, it's *Living*...When you lose her...it's just *Life*...
    ....Perhaps they are not stars in the sky....But rather openings where our loved ones shine down to let us know they are happy....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a pictue of the eggs I pulled in this afternoon, I had already put the morning ones away...

My egg basket.jpg
    Karen

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now I am in the mood for spring. It looks like Easter! Gorgeous eggs - no need to color these. I hate the thought of how chickens are raised. It always come down to money and the bottom line.
    "My mother said, 'You won't amount to anything because you procrastinate.' I said, 'Just wait.'" Judy Tenuta

I'm thankful for piles of laundry. It means my loved ones are nearby.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a pretty mixture of colors. Like luann, I think that it looks like Easter.
    0---altered items
    0---cards
    0---layouts
    0---recipe pages

Cyndi....

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love the basket and the beautiful eggs!
    TALLIES 2017
    3. CARD KITS:

4. MINI BOOK: