Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TRADITION(S)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In our family, if we do something two years in a row - it becomes a TRADITION. Needless to say we now have lots of them, and my kids never let us forget any of the traditions that have journeyed down our Christmas path.

So, what are some of your Christmas traditions? Here's one I started eons ago, when the kids were small and it lasted over a span of 20 years.

As most kids, mine got very excited and anxious for Christmas to arrive. When the "Christmas Truck" (UPS) would drop off packages from distant relatives, they wanted to open them NOW. So, I started the "twelve days before Christmas tree". A small, green artifical tree with a partridge perched on the top. And 12 small, little wrapped gifts for each child. The gifts could be a pack of gum, a Christmas ornament, a poem I'd write them, a tiny book, a new toothbrush, etc. Starting on the 13th of December, it would be displayed and they would each have a gift to open, ending on the 24th. They loved it and took the anxious edge off their tiny shoulders. They're all grown up now, but still cherish their memories of thier 12 Days Before Christmas tree.

sam

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sam that is a great idea. My boys have been beggin to open a gift all week. I have told them they get to open one a church today and at their school parties Wednesday. That is might be something to try next year.

Something we started since we moving to Alabama is on the last day of school (this year the 19th) we take the boys to Santa's Village to see Santa. It is in downtown Huntsville and it about $12 a family. It is set up like an old city and they make fake snow (since it doesn't snow here) and they go into Santa's house to see him and to Mrs. Cluas kitchen and decorate a gingerbread cookie and get hot cocoa to eat. Than they go to the elf workshop and do a craft and they have real reindeer for the kids to feed and pet. They have people singing and little stuff going on everywhere. The kids have loved it even my oldest who will be 10 in January can't wait to go this week.

I have to go shower and get ready for church. This morning is the big Children's musically and than church Christmas dinner and gift exchange. Everyone have a wonderful day!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was allowed to open my Christmas PJ's on Christmas Eve. My Mom was surprised that I still wanted to do this in my teens. I think my cousins did it a long time too.

On Christmas Day we eat Cinnamon Rolls.

Oh it's a bit late now but I remember one year at Girl Scouts we had an advent wreath and the manger from the Nativty set. Everytime we did a good deed we would put a piece of yarn in the manger so the baby Jesus would have a nice soft place to sleep.

Ziggy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When my kids were little, I started buying each of them a new ornament each Christmas. They each had there own "ornament" box that was stored with all the other Christmas things. Each yr they put their own ornaments on the tree. When they were grown, they got to take their ornament box with them so they had something to start with for their first tree and had memories of home. Now all 3 of my grown children do the same thing with their children so the tradition continues.
    Judy

Check out my scrappy blog at http://scrap-a-doodlestamping.blogspot.com/

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

Senior Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I don't know if this is much of a tradition, but when I worked at the factory I would get off at midnight. So I would always have to work up until the night before christmas eve. I was always awake until 3am anyway, so we started opening our gifts at 1am christmas morning. That way we could sleep a little later and get up go to my Grannies christmas morning at 10am for breakfast.
    This year will be different as she is in the nursing home as of 2 weeks ago. I must say I've not even put up a tree or anything out side. See I took care of my Grannie and now it just isn't the same. Plus side is her memory is coming back. She is at the same nursing home as my other Grandmother. Plus side is I get to see both in one stop and they enjoy being with each other, they go eat together and sit and talk. But still not the same. This is the first time in 39 yrs. I won't be with Grannie on Christmas morning.
    Oh I almost forgot about all the christmas movies, I have all of them and we watch them all through christmas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have several favorite traditions. Our Christmas eve dinner is roast beef sandwiches. Has been for at least 40+ years.

Another one..beginning 40 years ago, I started making my child a handmade ornament each year, then I added my nieces and nephews, now my grand children, and grand nieces and nephews. The oldes recipient this year is 40 and the youngest is 2 and there are 25 of them now. In February, we will add another member to the family, so next year I will make another ornament. As each of them got married, they took their ornaments to their own homes and had enough to decorate a small tree. I guess I'll continue that tradition until I can no longer use my hands. I've already picked out the niece to continue my tradition.

Traditions are what make Christmas so special.
    Judith

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our tradition was sweets. Every year I would make my Mom's famous chocolate candy, potato candy and other sweets and dips and spreads, to munch on and I also made poppy seed rolls, but this year I can't find poppy seeds anywhere. I have searched every grocery store I know of, so guess there will be no poppy seed rolls this year. This year we will go to my DD for Christmas, she will cook and start her own traditions. With 6 kids, she has too. LOL.
    Alabama Cheryl

When God leads you to the edge of a cliff, trust Him fully and let go, either 1 of 2 things happen, He'll either catch you when you fall or teach you how to fly.

The Light of God surrounds me, the Love of God enfolds me & the Power of God protects me. Amen

Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our tradition is kinda strange...
    Since the grirs were young we would wake them to Alvin and The Chipmunks. We put on the Christmas album and crank it real loud on Christmas morning and the girls would come running. Now...we still do it! They expect it and they are almost 20 and 18 years old! I love it and so do they!!
    Strange huh?
    Dorothy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love hearing about everyone's traditions. Here's another from our long list of "must do around Christmas":

We celebrate on Christmas Eve (dress-up, and play games while munching on hor d'ourves with an evenning Christmas Eve dinner) So, Christmas morning - actually all day long - we stay in our pj's and play-play-play. Now that the kids are grown we play board games all day & take a long afternoon hike up the mountain we live on. We have a special Christmas morning breakfast of grapefruit, orange juice, corn flakes with cream & strawberries, eggs benedict with english muffins and your choice of either smoked salmon, honeybaked ham or portabillo mushroom (sp?) for those vegetarians in the family, and pots of coffee and tea. I look forward to the corn flakes every year! My husband's family started this breakfast over 65 years ago.

sam

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a really close family. We see each other all of the time. On Christmas eve we get together at Grandmas house. I have a sister who is 17, 3 sets of aunts & uncles and 7 cousins each have 1-2 children each. Every Christmas I buy each of the kids(18 and below) an ornament. Each kid has a certain theme. one likes angels one dinosaurs, one trains..) All of my cousins has a special thing they buy and they buy the same thing for each kid. example...Dallas Cowboys shirts (new one each year), Underwear/boxers, Socks, knitted hats & scarf's, t-shirts, PJ's,charms for bracelets for girls b-ball hats for boys....You get the idea. There are no toys. we figure they get enough from everyone else..

.The adults(16 and over..) do a $20.00-30.00 Chinese gift exchange. then we all buy something for my Grandmother..

So my grandma doesn't have to cook every one brings something. It is the same thing we bring each year. It has been going on since I was a kid pretty soon we are going to have to go to a banquet hall..

On Christmas day everyone spends that with there family. I open presents at home when my son gets up usually about 7 am...Then we go to my in-laws for presents dinner. We stay all day