Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Metal Repair Tape Journal

Supplies
    • Composition Book
    • Metal Foil Tape
    • Permanent Ink Refill
    • Extra Heavy Cardstock or Cereal Box
    • 1 Sheet of printed paper
    • Pencil
    • Bone Folder
    • Stylus (Type you use to dry emboss)
    • Fine Grit Sanding Block
    • Stipple Brush (dedicated)
    • Gallon Size Freezer Bag

Step 1
    Draw your design on the heavy cardstock or cereal box. You can also use any die cut machine you have to cut your shapes. If you are using regular cardstock, I recommend layering 2 – 3 pieces together to have enough thickness.

Step 2
    Glue your design to the front of the composition book. You don’t need a lot of glue, as the tape will be going over this and hold everything down.

Step 3
    Apply the foil tape to the cover of the book in sections starting at the black band. Since the tape has a separate backing, cut your pieces off the roll before removing the backing and applying them to your book. Be careful because the tape likes to coil up on itself.

Step 4
    Smooth out the foil tape with your fingers and press it into all the areas of your design. Then take your bone folder and hold it almost flat to the cover of the book and go around all the edges of your design burnishing it in. At this point, you can take artistic license and make textures and small dots all around your design, have fun!

Step 5
    Apply glue to the inside cover of the composition book taking care to get all the edges. Then stick down your printed paper. The best part about this is the metal edge allows you to then tear off the excess paper from around the edges.

The following steps are optional.

Step 6
    Cut the top off of the plastic freezer bag and insert your entire book except for the cover. This will protect your book from the following steps.

Step 7
    Gently sand the whole cover taking care not to press too hard and rip the tape. This gives the foil tape tooth so the ink will stick.

Step 9
    Place 8 – 10 drops of your permanent ink on the cover and brush it all over the book getting it into all the creases and crevices. Let that sit for about 30 seconds, then using a paper towel, remove some of the ink from the cover.

Step 10
    Gently sand some of the high points to remove some of the ink and let the silver show through.

I couldn't find the right ink at Micheal's tonight, so I bought some alcohol inks and used those instead. This is what I came up with. I did not sand the foil for the alcohol inks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    interesting...I can't wait to see photos

Stampin' Up! - Please PM me to order
    My Blog

2014 cards(4)
    2013 layouts (0), cards (86), other (3)

2012 layouts (3), cards (188) 7/6, other (51)
    2011:layouts (6), cards (142), other (23)
    2010:layouts (7), cards (139), other (113+)

[IMG]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool Beans - just one question - what kind of permanent ink - like stamping ink?

Thanks for doing this.
    bonnie

Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah - I didn't want to be brand specific, but something lke a staz-on refill. It has to be the refill.

Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pictures Added!

Senior Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks so much.
    Lynn

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for sharing directions and photos. I think I will have to give this a try, because I can picture making something even smaller and using it as an embellishment on layouts - faux metal embellishments.

Metal Foil Tape - where do you find this? And do you know if it comes in other colors - like copper or gold?
    bonnie

Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sent DH to Home Depot for the tape, he got it in the aisle with the air duct stuff. Its just called foil tape. It was around $3 for the roll. Make sure you get the stuff that is more flat. When you are looking at it you will know what I mean. SInce I didn't buy it i don't know what other colors it comes in. But I can imagine that you can color it with the alcohol inks. I did a little more experimentation on the one pictured above and added a little green color to it, and a little blending solution and swirled it around with a paintbrush. Has a more soft look to it. I did another one with a fairy on it with just the pink color ink and that one looks good too.

(PS - I have GSD files for the butterflies and the fairy)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh brother!!! I should never have looked! This thread of classes and examples is a very dangerous place to snoop through!!! NOW I want to do this journal cover, too!

Thank you for sharing the how-to's. It is easy, just like you said. It looks like you have a lots of fun making this!

Judy
    Judy

A MERRY Heart Does GOOD Like a Medicine!

check out my blogs: http://scrappers.me.com/bitaglitz
    http:judy-forthemoment.blogspot.com

Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See I said it was easy! I made one of these in a larger size and I actually SOLD it on ebay! GO ME! I;m going to list them one at a time to see what I can get for them. Wish me luck!