Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want to be able to "sappy scrap" but I cannot. I don't mean sappy in a bad way either. I mean that some people can pour emotion onto the page and it is tender. I don't journal with my heart, I guess, I journal to record facts and events so my children can read through their books and relive their childhood with me. I cannot "sappy scrap."

So, I read this "sappy scrap" journaling on a page shown on page 123 of Scrapbook Trends, June '07, and I just had to...well, you tell me. Are you like this woman or someone else?

Here's what it says: "This cute little family makes me giggle. I love them all so much. Being a mother is the greatest gift. I smile all of the time just being around their fun little spirits. My family is unique in every way. I am filled with bliss everyday from the experiences that I get to share with them every day we laugh together. My most prized possession is motherhood and I cherish it with a heart filled with passion. Thank you for giving me this gift."

I am wondering about this woman and her outlook and I guess, mine. I love my children but they are exhausting and loud. I am breaking up fights and turning behaviors around on and off all day. I want a lick of this woman's medication because I just don't get it. Plus, I cannot "sappy scrap" anyway.

What do you think?

Laura
    Mother of Two Wild Boys
    "Thank ewe, thank you so much." Brenda Lee Johnson, The Closer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL! I never raised two boys so I can't relate there. I have four girls though and I have truly enjoyed every minute of being a mother. My name is Barb and I am a sappy scrapper. I just can't help myself. I feel that my scrapping is not only about our lives, but about how we feel about our lives too. Hopefully, many years from now, one of my descendants will 'know' me by my writing and I will be more than just a face in the family line. And hopefully, but my writing they will also know the rest of us and who we are as a family. I so ofen look at pictures of my ancestors and I wonder 'who' they were and what they were like. What they loved and were passionate about, what they hated, what their favorite color was. I realize that because I have no written record from them, that they are those family faces that are unknown as people.

I once uncovered a copy of a diary that was written by a woman traveling the Oregon Trail and she wrote about one of my DH's ancestral relatives in her diary, they were in same wagon train. That was awesome!! It made her more than just a name in the family record. In that little bit of someone else's diary I got to know a little about the real woman behind the name and a little of what she was like.

I don't know how old your boys are, but this too shall pass. My girls used to tell me every morning, "Mom, she's looking at me" over breakfast. I finally put a cereal box in front of each child so they couldn't look at each other. Trust me when I tell you that girls can argue a lot too. I knew that it would pass and they are 'best friends' now, inseparable. They see each other every single day and they hang out together. Hang in there- they really do grow up and someday it will seem that it happened much too fast.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well Laura, I have two boys (and a girl) and I am the same as you. One is constantly trying to boss the other around, they fight, they argue and it goes on all day long, lol. I love them dearly, but I guess I'm not a "sappy scrapper" either.
    Cindy
    Independent Beauty Consultant
    www.marykay.com/cynthiaalarcon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Me neither! I raised a son and daughter who were 7 years apart then added two step-daughters who were out to make my life and my children's miserable. There were fights, arguments, downright meaness and I had to walk the fence all the time. At least my DH backed me up 100%. Now my son talks about how special I am and he is a super dad. My DD is a great mom and recognizes how hard I had it. The two step daughters have very little to do with us as they planned all along. ( Doesn't bother me a bit.) My two think my DH is a special person and respect him more than his own. So, I'm not sappy either.
    Judith

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not a 'sappy' mom either. However, I have come to realize how important it is to tell your kids family stories and interesting facts about their lives. I record what I can more in a factual style and include these notes and letters in envelopes and tags on layouts, as I scrap. I do tell funny stories that actually happened but, I don't embellish them to make them sound like I or anyone else was a 'super mom' or some kind of elevated super-wonderful person. I try to keep it all loving and realistic.

Judy
    Judy

A MERRY Heart Does GOOD Like a Medicine!

check out my blogs: http://scrappers.me.com/bitaglitz
    http:judy-forthemoment.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone. I am feeling better about myself now that Dad has been doing most of the parenting for about 18 hours. My boys are 3 and 4, at 17 months apart so maybe that is part of my stress? I guess I get worn out by the end of the week. It will be nice to start a little pre-school after the long weekend and I will be better. Did I mention that we just moved out of the country and away from everything and everyone that we know? CALGON.

Laura
    "Thank ewe, thank you so much." Brenda Lee Johnson, The Closer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Laura, I did a page with the super sappy journaling, and it just felt so FAKE! My boys are 24 months apart, and I feel the same way as you do sometimes. And did I mention they both have developmental delays?? Oldest was nearly 5 when he finally potty trained, and youngest is 2 years, 9 months and only uses a few words when communicating. I love them, but would like a break sometimes! Just hang in there and get out sometimes to meet people, and you will soon make lifelong friends. The Chapel or Family Support Center should have "parent" programs designed to help out families. If nothing else, you could get names of a few sitters to give you a break. I'll be praying for you.
    Laura

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitly not a sappy scrapper. When I journal, I try to include humor. My kids crack me up so I try to convey their individual character. After all it is their SB. The passage you just shared just seems to me to be more about the mother than about her children KWIM?

ETA: I really should avoid posting when I'm feeling crabby...
    "My mother said, 'You won't amount to anything because you procrastinate.' I said, 'Just wait.'" Judy Tenuta

I'm thankful for piles of laundry. It means my loved ones are nearby.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh I'm defintely not a sappy scrapper. I find it difficult enough to just get the basic journaling done. I'm not creative with words at all. I don't think I could write like that, it's not my personality at all.

Stampin' Up! - Please PM me to order
    My Blog

2014 cards(4)
    2013 layouts (0), cards (86), other (3)

2012 layouts (3), cards (188) 7/6, other (51)
    2011:layouts (6), cards (142), other (23)
    2010:layouts (7), cards (139), other (113+)

[IMG]

Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another non-sappy scrapper here but I do relate with the sappy scrapper quoted. I have 2 girls 16 months apart, the oldest turning 3 in a month. They have their moments but I couldn't ask for anything better than being a mother. My problem is I just can't put my feelings into words to scrap and I prefer to use single words or just plain individual facts. I like to think that whether we pour our hearts out or just put the facts our children will know the love that went into their scrapbooks.
    Melissa

To scrap or to cook, that is the question!