Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: baby racoons!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi everyone! I hope you are having a great holiday! Don't forget to stop and give appreciation to someone who has served our country to ensure our freedoms, today!

I am finally getting a computer! It is ordered and should be here in two weeks. My hubby is leaving for a two week trip so I will not have a computer to 'talk' with you guys until the new one comes! Wahh!

Last evening, I discovered a baby racoon that had fallen out of his home from the 'attic' space of our shed's roof! He had two other siblings watching him yell and fuss as he tried to get back up the fence to the roof. He never made it. But, he finally settled down on our grape vine that tangles itself through the fence and waited there for his momma to come and help him.

In the mean time, Steve took some really cute photos of him. I will post the layout of him when I get the new computer. You guys will see how cute he is.

This morning, I went to see if the baby racoon was still on the grape vine. He was not. So, I went into the shed to get some garden tools only to find two more baby racoons curled up in a small wastecan. They were sound asleep! So, we got more photos of these little guys. We think that a second baby fell out of the roof and joined the first one and they took cover in the safety of our opened shed. Now we are looking for the third baby. These critters look to be the size of ten week old kittens. I did a 'no-no' and petted one of them as it was sleeping and it started to purr!!! Too cute!

What do we do with racoons? We have called animal shelters, wild animal groups, police, and they all say to have Pest controllers come out and they will 'take care of them'. Apparently, in our area, they do not let them live. We don't want to kill them but know that we cannot have them in the city, here, also. What do you suggest?

Judy
    Judy

A MERRY Heart Does GOOD Like a Medicine!

check out my blogs: http://scrappers.me.com/bitaglitz
    http:judy-forthemoment.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi everyone! I hope you are having a great holiday! Don't forget to stop and give appreciation to someone who has served our country to ensure our freedoms, today!

I am finally getting a computer! It is ordered and should be here in two weeks. My hubby is leaving for a two week trip so I will not have a computer to 'talk' with you guys until the new one comes! Wahh!

Last evening, I discovered a baby racoon that had fallen out of his home from the 'attic' space of our shed's roof! He had two other siblings watching him yell and fuss as he tried to get back up the fence to the roof. He never made it. But, he finally settled down on our grape vine that tangles itself through the fence and waited there for his momma to come and help him.

In the mean time, Steve took some really cute photos of him. I will post the layout of him when I get the new computer. You guys will see how cute he is.

This morning, I went to see if the baby racoon was still on the grape vine. He was not. So, I went into the shed to get some garden tools only to find two more baby racoons curled up in a small wastecan. They were sound asleep! So, we got more photos of these little guys. We think that a second baby fell out of the roof and joined the first one and they took cover in the safety of our opened shed. Now we are looking for the third baby. These critters look to be the size of ten week old kittens. I did a 'no-no' and petted one of them as it was sleeping and it started to purr!!! Too cute!

What do we do with racoons? We have called animal shelters, wild animal groups, police, and they all say to have Pest controllers come out and they will 'take care of them'. Apparently, in our area, they do not let them live. We don't want to kill them but know that we cannot have them in the city, here, also. What do you suggest?

Judy
    Judy

Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know what to tell you, it's quite a predicament! Where is Mommy Raccoon?? She should lead them back to whereever she came from when they can get around. Don't touch them because she may smell your scent and abandon them.
    Nature usually takes care of situations like this one and I would think it best to let nature take it's course and see if Mommy won't lead them to safety.
    Good luck.
    Can't wait to see the LO's. My cousin had one as a pet when we were kids. It was a great pet!!
    Marsha aka fotonana
    life is uncertain, scrap first

Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If their in a wastecan in your shed I'm sure they already have human scent on them. I'm sure the mama will take them back if she can find them. We had a family of racoons come every nite to eat cat food on our porch and I got some really cute pics too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know about your area, but it may be that one of the reasons that they "take care of" the racoons is that they are rabies carriers. Racoons are notorious for infecting domestic dogs and cats with rabies. Please be careful with them, even the babies. Their claws and teeth are sharp, and they are wild critters.

Having said all of that, I can't wait to see the photos! I bet they are really cute.

Pam
    Red Rubber Designs
    www.RedRubberDesigns.com
    ~*~*~*~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Geesh! I keep typing a reply but it keep disappearing!! If I finally send this and you get multiple responses, this will be why!

Anyway, we have not seen any sign of mama Racoon. But, the babies look well fed and healthy. But, we are wondering if mama has finally left them to fend for themselves and that is why they were trying to get out of the roof 'nest' last night, because she made no attempt to put them back up there. We will see if they are still in the shed, tomorrow
    AM. If so, we will start to put out tins of cat food, to make sure that they are eating.

And these baby racoons are not afraid of us. Eachtime we go in the shed, they just look up at us and make no sign that they are panicked. I think that they are veryused to us becuase they have heard and probably seen us as we have gone in and out of the shed. And we have have BBQ's at the fire ring that is only 10 feet from where they lived. They know our movements and voices.

I know that racoons do adapt to city life but, we are on a very busy road and there are cats and dogs that run free. I just can't imagine them being able to survive well in these conditions!

And the first thing that came to my mind when I saw the racoon, last night, was, "Oh, I want to keep him!!!" My husband's first statement to me when he saw the racoon was, "No! You can't keep him!!!"

We had friends who had a pet skunk and he was so fun. We had many hours of fun playing with the skunk! However, I think that having skunks and racoons as a pet is now illegal.

So, I guess we will just wait and see what happens in the next few days. If they are still here by the end of the week, then I will continue to see if I can find someone who will come take them away to the mountains and away from the city. I will keep you posted.

In the meantime, I will be sure to take lots of photos. Last year, we had a baby robin with hardly any feathers fall out of her nest and we raised her until she flew away at the end of summer. Maybe, we are here to take care of orphaned and displaced critters!

Judy
    Judy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just be careful as was previously posted. Take tons of pics and have fun watching, but they are carriers of rabies and I would hate to think of you having to take the treatments. We had them in our chimney in the Raleigh, NC house and animal control got them out and released them. But that was about 15 years ago and I think most places put them to sleep if they have to get them out for you now. I'm like you and hate to have that happen.

Hope mama comes to rescue them soon so the problem is no longer yours.
    Judith

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know about where you are but in FL you had to have a permit, a licenced person that sold you the skunk and a vet for it and a long form to fill out if you wanted to have a skunk as a pet. Also had to be descented. It was a bit too much hassel and finding the vet was probably going to be the hardest thing. Also, since you can't give them rabies shots if they ever bit they'd be destroyed. It maybe the same with raccoons.

On another site a person was having raccoon problems. These raccoons were grown and distructive! The tore up the garbage and even managed to get into the garage and into their deep freezer! So while they're cute now you might have consequences later for helping them out.

Ziggy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have some knowledge to share that might be helpful.

1) the human scent, mom won't touch them thingy is a myth so that's good news

2)Baby racoons stay in a family unit until they are much larger than what you describe, when I was a camp counselor you would see a daddy racoon come out of the woods, check to make sure everything was clear then a line of "babies" that were half the size of a full grown racoon, then the mommy would break up the end of the line. So that's bad news, somehow these were lost, something happened to parents etc.

3)You can call any vet in the area to see if there is an issue of Rabies. Racoons, fox, and Skunks don't have rabies unless there is an outbreak in your area. And if there is then local livestock and pets are effected so that is why the vets will be aware of it.

4)Get some kitten chow (higher nutritional value than cat chow)

5)look for an animal rescue/animal shelter in the phone book, Vet should also be able to help you find this. Somewhere within a few counties there should be a shelter, that will take them, raise them and release them when they can fend for themselves. You might have to transport them but that is easily accomplished by putting them in a cat or small dog crate. Not a bad idea to put the crate out now with some food in it, so they will get used to it and then won't fight going in when you want them to. They might even start sleeping in the crate.

6)Although they are adorable, as they grow they can get into everything, think perpetual curious toddler, and with opposable thumbs that they have better control over than the average toddler but do get lots of pics in the meantime.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the help. I have just talked to our neighbor and they have lived here all their lives and they don't recall ever hearing of having racoons in this area.

Putting the kitty crate our in the shed with food in it is a wonderful idea. And I have now discoverred that one or more baby racoons are still in the crawl space of the shed. So that means that there are some in the roof and two in the shed. Now, the two in the shed may be too far away for the mom to know where they are since the door of the shed is on the opposite side of the building, away from the opeining that the racoons are using. Unless, momma hears them in there, she may not be able to locate them.

So, this is what I am thinking...lift the wastecan of baby racoons and put it on the ground by the fence where momma has to climb in order to get to her babies. I can do this at dusk, since they are nocturnal. At least, this way, all involved will have a better survival rate. I will also put out some kitty food. Then tomorrow, we will phone around and see if we can get these animals put into some caring hands.

Judy
    Judy