Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

User Tag List

Thread: racoon update!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, here is the latest on the babies!

Mommie never came back, last night, so we found a person who was willing to take the little ones and raise them. She cares for wildlife and then releases them back into safe habitats. And when all was said and done, we ended up with four baby raccoons.

And she said that rabies is not an issue with the raccoons, here. When she saw the babies, she picked each of them up like kittens and loved on them, fed them and cleaned them. She has them in her house with her other animals and said that they looked very healthy except for being dehydrated because they were not weaned, as yet. She has been taking care of injured and abandoned wildlife for years and works through a local veterinary. I was fortunate to find her.

Now this is why the authorities will kill the raccoons, here, in my area. They are not a natural part of the eco structure. They have been brought in by people who thought they could keep them as pets and eventually released them into the 'wild' when they realized that raccoons cannot be tamed.

So the state officials decided to kill any raccoons rather than allowing them to proliferate and upset the balance of nature, not knowing what long-term effect these creatures would have on the wild life and coimmunities. That is why they are seldom seen along the Wasatch Front.

Luckily, this person will take good care of the critters and release them in an area where they can live happy lives and not be threatened with animal control killing them. They will take them far away where other raccoons roam...

I have lots of photos and will share a few of them when I get my new computer.

Judy
    Judy

A MERRY Heart Does GOOD Like a Medicine!

check out my blogs: http://scrappers.me.com/bitaglitz
    http:judy-forthemoment.blogspot.com

Senior Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am so Happy that is a wonderful thing you did.
    can't wait for pictures
    Dalene

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I'm glad that everything worked out for you!

Ziggy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OH that is good news! kudos Judy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a happy ending, TFS.
    bonnie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is wonderful news! I am glad there was someone out there to help take care of them and have to harm the babies. Can't wait to see pictures!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    glad to hear you found a good home for them. THey can be real pains when they get older. We have TONS of them here. There was one that was larger than a cat roaming our area for some time. He even jumped up on my porch while my sister was sitting there, (she thought it was a cat at first) i've even had them try to open my door (yes they stood up and grabbed the knob, drove my dog NUTS) THey are getting really vicisious here though, within the past 2 weeks i've already found one Decapitated Squirrel (saw the raccoons running around my driveway the night before chasing something) and just hte other day found a Rabbit as well just across the street.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So glad the situation turned out well for everyone and everything.
    Now I'm looking for LOs.
    Judith

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love racoons... My dad was a big coon hunter when I was growing up and we had numerous babies. Yes they can be bad when adult and they go into heat... if you have them fixed like a cat or dog they are fine even as adults. (You have to have certain vets in your area willing to do this.) We had one for years that gave us no trouble they make a great pet. We would even open the door and it would climb the tree and then come home later.

I'm so glad that you found someone to take them. Great Job.

Clarinda
    Clarinda

Mom of three
    Nanna of three

Junior Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So glad everything worked out! Looking forward to seeing photos!

Jan