Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

User Tag List

Senior Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With summer winding to an end, and the kids bored out of their little skulls I've got a few ideas for you to get them thru till you can give them over to their teachers. Here they are:

Take a 'penny walk'... Take a walk through your neighborhood - taking a coin along. Each time you come to a corner, flip the coin to see whether to go left (heads) or right (tails).

Become nature detectives.

Take a digital camera along on your walks. Keep an eye out for any unusual items. Take pics, later look up the items on the internet together.

Trail Tote:

Lizette Castano at the Children's Nature Institute came up with this neat idea:

Pack a canvas bag with the following items -

Egg Carton: Paint the bottom of each compartment a different color, then challenge kids to find natural souvenirs in a matching hue.

Magnifying Glass: Encourage your family to take a closer look at things and discover treasures hidden in plain view, such as the silvery veins on a leaf or tiny mites on a decaying log.

Magnets: Run a strong magnet across the soil to see if iron bits are lurking about (they'll stick to the magnet). For an even greater wow factor, bring a paper plate, top it with soil, then run a magnet underneath it to see the iron bits dance.

Water-filled spray bottle: See how a gentle spritz can change the look of things, such as spiderwebs and color shifting rocks.

Homemade soil slides: Cut a 1/2 inch square in a notecard cover and cover the hole with a piece of clear tape. Press the sticky side against the soil, then use a magnifying glass to discover the individual components.

And to keep yourselves amused (tho I would have enjoyed the previous activities as any kid) - why not send a DQ VIRTUAL cake to someone - all the fun with none of the calories LOL! Just click here to send your cake!

http://www.dq.com/cakes/

Senior Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With summer winding to an end, and the kids bored out of their little skulls I've got a few ideas for you to get them thru till you can give them over to their teachers. Here they are:

Take a 'penny walk'... Take a walk through your neighborhood - taking a coin along. Each time you come to a corner, flip the coin to see whether to go left (heads) or right (tails).

Become nature detectives.

Take a digital camera along on your walks. Keep an eye out for any unusual items. Take pics, later look up the items on the internet together.

Trail Tote:

Lizette Castano at the Children's Nature Institute came up with this neat idea:

Pack a canvas bag with the following items -

Egg Carton: Paint the bottom of each compartment a different color, then challenge kids to find natural souvenirs in a matching hue.

Magnifying Glass: Encourage your family to take a closer look at things and discover treasures hidden in plain view, such as the silvery veins on a leaf or tiny mites on a decaying log.

Magnets: Run a strong magnet across the soil to see if iron bits are lurking about (they'll stick to the magnet). For an even greater wow factor, bring a paper plate, top it with soil, then run a magnet underneath it to see the iron bits dance.

Water-filled spray bottle: See how a gentle spritz can change the look of things, such as spiderwebs and color shifting rocks.

Homemade soil slides: Cut a 1/2 inch square in a notecard cover and cover the hole with a piece of clear tape. Press the sticky side against the soil, then use a magnifying glass to discover the individual components.

And to keep yourselves amused (tho I would have enjoyed the previous activities as any kid) - why not send a DQ VIRTUAL cake to someone - all the fun with none of the calories LOL! Just click here to send your cake!

http://www.dq.com/cakes/

Senior Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I needed that at the beginning of the summer Oniska. lol My grandkids have been back in school since August 1
    Lynn