Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: photo editing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

photo editing

How do you decide what looks better when you're editing a photo? I'm trying some new techniques & I just can't decide which is better, before or after. Do you just have to develop an eye for it or are there some guidelines to follow?
    Which of these 2 looks better to you? First or second?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Carol
    born & raised desert rat
    The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start. John J. Bingham

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think..other opinions help.. i often go crazy with the photoshop..i just dont know when to quit.. its been years, but i AM getting better
    I think they are both real nice.. i have a hard time deciding which one i like best..there are great aspects to both.but..hmm..
    as for me.. i like the the lightened shadowy areas in the front door area, but think the other shadowy ceiling is a bit bright(above the windows)..the shadow on the ground as well as the brick definition on the ground is lovely.. but i think with that much shadowing on the ground, the foliage shouldnt be quite so..unshadowy.. u know what i mean? I also like the softened bricks in the walls a lot in the 2nd
    the 2nd pic is as shot, yes? id have to say.. sheesh..its tough...but, even with a darker doorway, number 2 pic wins.
    lol but what do i know lol
    Goals for 2011..NOW 2012....now 2013..

Finish DisneyWorld 2008 Scrapbook ..<yep, still haven't done it!
    Finish Alaska 2010 Scrapbook... 8 pages done! <or this..
    Finish 2010 Cruise Scrapbook.. woohoo.. 12 out of 20 completed!!....grrrr

Photobooks -3..yes THREE already
    Cards- 0
    Scrapbook Pages- 4

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yikes, I would have said that I like the second picture best if I had not read what Jen wrote ( I never notice the details she mentioned).

Now I just don't know.
    0---altered items
    0---cards
    0---layouts
    0---recipe pages

Cyndi....

Put "eat chocolate" at the top of your list of things to do today. That way, at least you'll get one thing done.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually think I like the first one best b/c you can see through the entry way more clearly though it may not be as "realistic" as it is in person. The first one also shows great detail in the brick. This is a tough job and you probably will see it this morning and just know which you like best on your own.
    TALLIES 2017
    1. SCRAPBOOK PAGE TOTALS: 6
    2. CARD TOTALS: 3
    3. CARD KITS:

4. MINI BOOK:
    5. OTHER ALTERED PROJECTS: 1

"Dull Women Have Immaculate Houses"

Maria

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking the same thing as Maria. You can see the brick detail much better so it's more realistic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beatlesgrljen View Post
    I think..other opinions help.. i often go crazy with the photoshop..i just dont know when to quit.. its been years, but i AM getting better
    I think they are both real nice.. i have a hard time deciding which one i like best..there are great aspects to both.but..hmm..
    as for me.. i like the the lightened shadowy areas in the front door area, but think the other shadowy ceiling is a bit bright(above the windows)..the shadow on the ground as well as the brick definition on the ground is lovely.. but i think with that much shadowing on the ground, the foliage shouldnt be quite so..unshadowy.. u know what i mean? I also like the softened bricks in the walls a lot in the 2nd
    the 2nd pic is as shot, yes? id have to say.. sheesh..its tough...but, even with a darker doorway, number 2 pic wins.
    lol but what do i know lol
    Actually #2 is NOT as shot. There's a missing garden hose hanging on the wall & the floor bricks on the right have been almost completely replaced because the fountain splashes water everywhere (hid some wet bricks on the left, too, just not as many as the right). That was my problem with the first one, the greenery too washed out. But for the video, if I can't fix the over intensifying going on when I burn it to disc, I may go that way to counterbalance it. Counted & there are 217 shots in the video. Do I want to redo all of them. Sheeesh! What a can of worms I've opened.
    Carol
    born & raised desert rat
    The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start. John J. Bingham

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the first one because there's more contrast and you see more of the textures on the bricks and the vegetations.
    "My mother said, 'You won't amount to anything because you procrastinate.' I said, 'Just wait.'" Judy Tenuta

I'm thankful for piles of laundry. It means my loved ones are nearby.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too prefer the first for a video.I like that you can see the ceiling in the right and more detail. You want them to remeber all the details from their day and that one is more realisitic to how they saw.
    Kerri
    2013 scrappy goal:
    1.) Get Pubmished In Print Magazine
    * submit three times per month til I do!
    completions for 2013:
    LO's:4
    Cards:12
    altered projects: 3
    http://kerrikr8tions.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I prefer number one, too. Just a reminder - most people spend about 5 seconds tops looking at photos in a large grouping. They are not noticing the tiny flaws caught on film. And sometimes snapshots are just what they are. If you were blowing this up to be framed, I'd take the time to tweak, other than that not that necessary - just my opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout View Post
    Actually #2 is NOT as shot. There's a missing garden hose hanging on the wall & the floor bricks on the right have been almost completely replaced because the fountain splashes water everywhere (hid some wet bricks on the left, too, just not as many as the right). That was my problem with the first one, the greenery too washed out. But for the video, if I can't fix the over intensifying going on when I burn it to disc, I may go that way to counterbalance it. Counted & there are 217 shots in the video. Do I want to redo all of them. Sheeesh! What a can of worms I've opened.
    oh.. both are retouched.. ah. i thought you edited one and wondered if you should have left it alone lol wow.. ya you did a lot tho.. that took some time! they both look great.. i agree with Sam with what folks are looking at etc. I wouldn't worry about it!
    Goals for 2011..NOW 2012....now 2013..

Finish DisneyWorld 2008 Scrapbook ..<yep, still haven't done it!
    Finish Alaska 2010 Scrapbook... 8 pages done! <or this..
    Finish 2010 Cruise Scrapbook.. woohoo.. 12 out of 20 completed!!....grrrr

Photobooks -3..yes THREE already
    Cards- 0
    Scrapbook Pages- 4