Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

User Tag List

Thread: Toddler bed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay ladies, my mother in law bought my son a toddler bed, the race car woo hoo, for his 2nd birthday. We put it all together last night but I still have the crib up.

I need advice on how to switch him and make the transistion smooth as possible. Bedtime I think will be easier but it his his naps I worry about. He sits in there and cries and then plays when he does go down. He still needs his naps he is a very cranky and whiny boy if he doesn't. I am getting another matress from my mom for the toddler bed for now until we switch completly.

By the way he will NOT sit and listen to stories, I have tried my hardest to read to him. He is a very active boy and doesn't sit still well at all. He won't watch anything on TV either, which is a good thing if you ask me!!

TIA!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I were you I would leave his toushy in that crib! My oldest son quit taking naps by one and a half because I had to take him out of his crib and give it to his new baby sister. IT SUCKED! If you are really intent on him sleeping in the toddler bed, you may have to sit with him until he learns to lay in it and go to sleep. Or find some kind of incentive to offer him for staying in it and going to sleep.
    Cindy
    Independent Beauty Consultant
    www.marykay.com/cynthiaalarcon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I made the transition when my son was a few weeks shy of turning 3. I changed him over because he started refusing to go in the crib and that went on for almost 2 months. He had a hard time going in the bed at first, but he was giving me a hard time anyway so I don't think it was the switch...just a phase to go through. I learned with my daughter (who I took out at 2) to keep them in the crib as long as possible. At 2 she kept getting out of bed throughout the night over and over again. I didn't get sleep for a long time. My son gave me trouble for about a week and then stayed in his big boy bed. When you do make the switch make sure you make the switch cold turkey. Take the crib out so there's no choice b/w the bed and crib. Make a big deal out of getting a "Big Boy Bed" and get him excited about it.

Stampin' Up! - Please PM me to order
    My Blog

2014 cards(4)
    2013 layouts (0), cards (86), other (3)

2012 layouts (3), cards (188) 7/6, other (51)
    2011:layouts (6), cards (142), other (23)
    2010:layouts (7), cards (139), other (113+)

[IMG]

Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 2 1/2 y/o was in a single bed at 18 months. We put the bed in her room about a month & a half before we planned to put her in it so she could get used to it in there. She played on it and DH & I would read stories or play with her. By the time we wanted to put her in it she was ready and we never had a problem. My youngest still has 3 months to go before we put her in a big bed (she'll be 18 months), but we have the bed set up in her room already and she loves it so far!

Good luck!
    Melissa

To scrap or to cook, that is the question!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just put my son in a big boy bed 2 weeks ago. He is 2 1/2yo and also very active. My son will let me read to him at bedtime and he too doesn't watch much TV. I too still have the crib up and that is where he goes on the weekends for his naps. (he is in daycare during the week during nap time). At night I lay down with my son in his big boy bed for about 5-10 minutes to get him relaxed, I enjoy the quiet bonding time. He gets upset when I leave but I don't want to start a bad habit of him thinking I will stay there all night like he wants me to. For about the first week I had to keep putting him back in bed like 5x before he actually stayed there. But he is sometimes getting up at about 5am and climbing into bed with me...I'm too tired to get up at that hour to put him back in his own bed, and it doesn't happen nightly. I also put chain locks up high on the doors leading outside since he has recently figured out how to unlock the door knobs and let himself out. I didn't want him wondering the neighborhood at 2 in the morning, then the cops would put me on the news showing what a bad mommy I am cuz my son escaped the house.

I suggest you wait a little longer if you can before putting him in the big boy bed. I had to put mine in a big boy bed cuz he is sooooo tall that he is too long for his crib now. We made such a big deal about him having a big boy bed when we first put it up that he hasn't wanted to be in his crib since...YAY!!

Good luck!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All good advice, I'd stay with the crib as long as you can, but if there's room, put the toddler bed in the room as well. Let us know how it turns out.
    Laura

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For now, with only having the one matress he is in his crib. He has been playing in the shell of the bed and loves it. We put the matress in it but I switched it back. We need to go get some plywood to put on he bottom too to hold the matress in.

I talked to my hubby and we are going to just leave him in the crib for as long as we can. I need to do some rearanging to get both in and not under a window. I have to get the changing table outta there, it takes up so much room and I don't use but for storage of stuffed animals. I see potential scrap storage with it though so I have yet to do anything with it.

Thank you all for the GREAT advice!! It is nice to hear someone else's opinion other then grandmas!

Oh he is not one to like sleeping with us, he threw a fit the one time I tried so I am thankful for that one. We have a baby gate up to his room so he can't out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know I'm behind on this topic, however it was intersting reading, cause I too just went through the transition...My oldest son will b 3 in sept and I had another son born in Feb of this year, so our goal was to have our oldest in his own bed...He slept in bed with mommy till he was over 2, cause Daddy was in Iraq...I know shame on me....Then we put him in his big boy bed in our room next to mommy....and this past Jan he went 2 his own room, bed n all...It was harder on me than him, He still crawls in bed with mommy around 4 or 5 some morn...not always....The bad thing is I'm nursing my youngest still and history is repeating itself....But I will hopefully break him to his own bed sooner...We shall see....LOL
    Come visit my blog.... Highlandeyes