Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The canon printer I bought requires the use of a USB cable to connect to the computer, or it can be a stand alone for the picture printing.

Do any of your printers require a dedicated USB connection? If so, is yours built into the back of your computer or the front? We have an USB adapter in the back, but that is about it I think. We had our computer custom built...
    but DH does not think it (the adapter) can handle being permanent or the amount of info going thru... and we definitely don't want to have the front USB blocked with a printer cable.

So how does yours hook in? nobody else made an issue of this in the 100's of reviews I read, but DH is concerned. Can someone here help us out?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The canon printer I bought requires the use of a USB cable to connect to the computer, or it can be a stand alone for the picture printing.

Do any of your printers require a dedicated USB connection? If so, is yours built into the back of your computer or the front? We have an USB adapter in the back, but that is about it I think. We had our computer custom built...
    but DH does not think it (the adapter) can handle being permanent or the amount of info going thru... and we definitely don't want to have the front USB blocked with a printer cable.

So how does yours hook in? nobody else made an issue of this in the 100's of reviews I read, but DH is concerned. Can someone here help us out?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My printers (Epson Picturemate and RX700) both can stand alone to print photos if I use a camera card or a flash drive with my photos on them. Also, my camera has a Wifi connection so I can send my photos wireless to the printers if I want to (my RX700 isn't currently set up for this, but can be). I use the printers with my laptop and usually plug them into one of the USB drives on the laptop. I have two on the side and two on the back. I always have one USB filled with the wireless mouse thing. The other 3 USB drives are for flash drive files I take back and forth to work so I can work at home and my two printers. I don't know if that helps you any.

Stampin' Up! - Please PM me to order
    My Blog

2014 cards(4)
    2013 layouts (0), cards (86), other (3)

2012 layouts (3), cards (188) 7/6, other (51)
    2011:layouts (6), cards (142), other (23)
    2010:layouts (7), cards (139), other (113+)

[IMG]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My printer hooks up to the back of my computer tower with a USB drive. I've never had any problems with it. I also have a USB in the front that I use for my flash drive or my camera. I hope this helps.

Ginny

Senior Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have a photo printer, but I have a regular ink jet and a color laser. And I'm on a Mac, so this might not be relevant, but....

I have a 4 port USB hub plugged into one of my USB ports in the back. That is what I plug almost all of my USB devices into. They aren't very expensive...about $15. If you go this route, make sure you get a POWERED USB port, with it's own power adapter, rather than have it draw power from the computer. And if it is like mine, there is an itty-bitty swith on it to tell it to be in self-powered mode.
    What model printer do you have?

Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my new computer... I just got it this last spring because my old one got hit by lightning and I have a fairly new printer too... that is the only connection that my regular printer uses is a USB cable to connect to my computer and of course it is plugged in all the time. That is the way the new printers come now a days is with a USB cable (or you have to buy one to make your printer work). I have 2 of USB connections in the front and at least one in the back maybe 2 or 3 not sure ...I use the one in the back of my computer for my printer so I can use the one in the front for camera or something else. (I ususally just use my camera card now and not a cable). But I know if I do use my camera with the USB cable I can unplug it or leave it plugged in... it doesn't matter...so I don't see it being a problem unless you need it for something else... I will tell you what I personally would do and then you can judge for yourself... If I only had the one USB plug and I didn't need that plug for my regular printer or anything else that I might use often then I would leave my camera printer plugged into it just because it is in the back of my computer. And only unplug it when I needed the USB plug for something else but if you use a USB CABLE and you need that plug for something else... you might just be able to use the same cable for both items and not have to unplug the CABLE END from the back of your computer but just from your printer and plug that end into your other item you want to use if the cable end will work with the other item, but that is just a thought. Every computer is different. Now for one more thing... just remember the more you have plugged into your computer and there is a storm... the more you can lose if you get lightning hit...just ask me I know... I have all my stuff plugged into a battery backup and I unplug it from the wall if there is a bad storm. I already lost one computer and all my stuff on the hard drive... not going that route again... good luck with whatever you decide. I hope this has helped and not confused you more.
    Nancy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by illinimom:
    What model printer do you have? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I bought the Canon Pixma MP600 all in one. But DH told me NOT to even open the box till we get the details figured out.

Our text-only printer is at least 8 years old. It is a Lexmark Z11 and is still working great- which seems to be unusual these days!, but I have really wanted a scanner/copier/picture one for a long time!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the info everyone.
    I did not realize that most new printers use the usb cables now. Obviously my DH doesn't either, which is surprising- cuz he gets all sorts of cool new stuff at his work.

Senior Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks like another possibility is to get a bluetooth adapter for the printer and put it into the printer's USB port and communicate wirelessly with your computer (assuming it has bluetooth).

And I know for mine, I could plug it into the USB port on my wireless router and share along my whole network.

Here is a link to the Canon support pages for your computer. It has the manuals and start up guides online, so you might want to download those and read through them before you open the box.

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelI...id=238&modelid=13800

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey, there's an idea! THANKS!