Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a burning question to ask. To be honest I hesitate to ask it because it is a bit sad.

Let me start this way. For those old enough do you remember watching TV shows like "Father Knows Best" or maybe "The Cosby Show" and think, "all families are like that but mine" ??

Well, reading scrapbooking magazines and seeing all the themed stuff on families I feel just like I did when I was a kid.

My family growing up doesn't hold fond memories, but I also don't hold anger. It was what it was. My family today is good, but with problems as in most families.

On Mothers Day when my Mother was alive (she died 12/04 at the age of 86), I use to stand in the card aisle and cry reading the sentiments.

So, my question, does anyone else feel this way and how do you scrap people in your family that you don't hold fond memories of, but they are like a mother or father ??

There I asked !!

Michele

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a burning question to ask. To be honest I hesitate to ask it because it is a bit sad.

Let me start this way. For those old enough do you remember watching TV shows like "Father Knows Best" or maybe "The Cosby Show" and think, "all families are like that but mine" ??

Well, reading scrapbooking magazines and seeing all the themed stuff on families I feel just like I did when I was a kid.

My family growing up doesn't hold fond memories, but I also don't hold anger. It was what it was. My family today is good, but with problems as in most families.

On Mothers Day when my Mother was alive (she died 12/04 at the age of 86), I use to stand in the card aisle and cry reading the sentiments.

So, my question, does anyone else feel this way and how do you scrap people in your family that you don't hold fond memories of, but they are like a mother or father ??

There I asked !!

Michele

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't!!!

I haven't spoken to my grandparents on my dads side since I was 7 (for lots of reasons) In fact I only went to my grandpa's funeral so I could see my cousins because our parent's wouldn't let us see eachother when we were little (we have no idea why) but I recently did a family history scrapbook and I left them (my g-parents) out!..they were not a part of my life so I didn't scrap them. But it's up to you...if you want to scrap them don't feel bad about it because they were part of your family tree, but if you don't..don't...it's your book and you shouldn't feel awkward looking at it so do what feels right!

Junior Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes and I don't know...big help huh. Guess that is why I pass things over to find something else to do...like focus on finding things for my heritage album. The more "today" type photos get passed over except for the grandkids. Those I do something with but the others just laid to the side to do "someday" cause I just don't know how to handle them.

Carolyn

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have two step kids in their 20's (who don't live with us) who could really care less about me, so I don't necessarily scrapbook them, because it is hard to do, when they don't care.

For from "Father Knows Best" or the "Cosby Show".
    bonnie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are doing a family heritage albumn, just do a simple page id'ing people you don't want to talk about. You don't need to explain yourself, these are your albums. If someone else wants to do something about these people, then let them.

Michele, I was reading Simple Scrapbooks last night with all the lovey-dovey sentiments from mothers to children and wondered if there was something wrong with me. I love my kids, but the sun doesn't rise and set upon them. I would feel really dopey doing pages wtih sentiments like that--that's just not me.

BTW: My family put the FUN in dysfunctional!
    Laura

Senior Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">BTW: My family put the FUN in dysfunctional!
    </div></BLOCKQUOTE> You kill me Laura.

On a serious note.. Michelle, I don't scrap those i'm not too fond of.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, this is going to be out in the open...I relate to you very well. I come from an abused family life. I understand about the mom thing. I only send cards that say general greetings because all the fluffy-huggy stuff just is not my mom and I.

Scrapbooking mom I have kept factual. The information is done with my kids and grandkids, in mind. They will want to know who my mom was so I record stuff for them. I have also made a few pages with pockets on them with letters inside relating the difficulties and hurts of my childhood with the family. This way, when they get their scrapbooks, they will be able to read about my history and know the story. A family always has some hard things to share about it, it is just part of life.

I have found that scrapbooking has helped to cause me to face some of the memories that hurt. In those memories, I realize that I have the choice to continue to allow the past to hurt me or to forgive those who hurt me and decide to let it go and work on making a better life for myself and family in the 'now'. So, for me it is a great tool in which to deal with life's challenges.

Judy
    Judy

A MERRY Heart Does GOOD Like a Medicine!

check out my blogs: http://scrappers.me.com/bitaglitz
    http:judy-forthemoment.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I certainly remember watching the Cosby Show. LOVED it. But my family wasn't/isn't like that. It's not that I don't have some fond memories or anything, but lets face it ~ we didn't have all the money in the world! But my parents love(d) me and I knew/know it. And all that mushy gushy, lovey dovey stuff isn't really for us either. Sometimes with DH, but that's it!
    Cindy
    Independent Beauty Consultant
    www.marykay.com/cynthiaalarcon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also have two steps that lived with us for several years, but have little contact with us now. When I scrap book, I ignore their existence unless they are in the pics. I even "cropped" them off several with my children. It doesn't bother my spouse. So just put their pics in if you think they NEED to be there and don't elaborate.

Judith
    Judith