Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

User Tag List

Thread: curfews

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have a 16 year old son, who is a jr. in high school, and i want to set up a curfew, instead of saying "well, tonight be home at 10." and the the next time "well be home at 9:30." what would your curfew be for school days, i was thinking 9 pm., if your grades are good. do you think that's too late???
    what about the weekends....friday and saturday (sunday is considered a school night) i was thinking 10-10:30.????
    thanks for your help
    *Mary*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know this isn't very helpful, but it all depends on the kid. Nine on a school night seems fair, but maybe later on weekends. What curfews do his friends have? Are there any special occasions when he can be out later? Does he keep the curfew that you give him now? Maybe try a later curfew for a month, and if he can keep it, extend it. **But if he tells you that you are being unfair, etc., you're doing a good job as a parent.** Good luck.
    Laura

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have teens, but remember as a teen I had a very strict mom. All my friends had a weekend curfew of 11 and I had to be home at 10. So no one wanted to take me with them knowing I had to be home a hour before they did and it was awful. I had to follow everyone instead of enjoying the ride with everyone. So maybe it would be a good idea to check with his friends parents and than set something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What ever you set, there will be friends with a different curfew. We have had so many serious accidents with our teens having late curfews in this area, that I think your curfews are good. There would be times I'd let it be later like prom night, New Years Eve. It also makes a difference if he is doing the driving. Some states have times when kids under 18 can't drive. Good luck with the curfew you set.
    Judith

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you guys have given me some good ideas, i am going to give his friends parents a call and see what their curfews are. and for now,as along as he keeps up his grades , those will be his curfew. thanks for all the advice.
    *Mary*

Senior Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mary, one thing I do with Casey is if she thinks something may be going to make her late, she must call me and I will tell her it ok or not. But if she just comes in late she knows she isn't going out for a while. So far this has worked great. She knows I will listen to the reason she gives and be fair with my answer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is my two cents, I've raised 4 boys (3 of them are in their 20's and the 4th is just 13) We always had a curfew during the week of 10:00 when they were in high school. The exception was if there was a school function or church function that ran alittle later. I didn't go by what other parents did as I didn't want to compromise our standards. We also adjusted weekend curfews based on the child and what activity was taking place. We honestly never really had any conflict as they all knew what was expected. I'm sure you will make the right decision for your family. Lisa
    The greatest test of courage on earth is to bear defeat without losing heart.