Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

User Tag List

Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with you Judy. I have my great grandfathers original decleration of intention paper. It's yellow but in good shape being over 100 years old! And I've handled it several times as well. What else am I going to do with it? I was told I should preserve it, but not sure how without destroying it. I can't laminate it. (I wish) LOL. And it's too long to actually put it in my album. I could if I left it folded, but then you wouldn't be able to read it. so I just keep it in it's original envelope in with my genealogy so I don't loose it. :-)
    Lori
    When my memory goes....
    please help me find my
    Scrapbook.

Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you could make a copy and cut it to fit into your scrapbook - then I would contact a museum and ask about how to preserve the original

Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the same problem with a lot of papers that my Mother saved thru the years.
    I found clear pages at Michaels that have flip over folders that normally hold 4x6 photos.
    If I were at home I'd tell you the name of them.
    Anyway, I put that page next to the appropriate scrapbook page with the folded papers inside. This makes them easy to get to and are "person" appropriate when looking back.
    Does any of this make sense??
    life is uncertain, scrap first

Senior Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lori,
    As another genealogist, I will tell you that I would NEVER put original documents in my scrapbook.

I don't have a lot of originals, but the few I do have, I scan and print copies off for any interested relatives, as well as for my 'instant access' genealogy archive. The original goes in a separate box. I want to get some museaum quality boxes and protectors. And it would probably be a good idea to store them in a fireproof box or safe deposit box.

I personally feel they are not mine to alter in anyway, including scrapping. I am just the 'care-taker' for the next generation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just as a side note. I thought I was being so careful in keeping my important papers in a safe. I was always "gonna" scan them and make copies for my scrapbooks. You probably know the rest. In May our home was burglarized and all they took was the safe, nothing else. Nothing inside of any value to anyone but us. But it did have every important paper we owned for the past 100 years. I probably should have kept the key in the safe so the thieves could have seen it was nothing to them. I keep telling myself that it is only paper and, thankfully, no one was hurt. But you might want to give yourself a date and get going on those copies. Now I need to start our paper collection again for the younger set. Good luck.
    Ms. Merry

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is what I told my son the other day. I am going to make back-up CD's of everything pertaining to the family history. Each child will get. I am also going to photograph each page of their scrapbook albums and include all scanned photos, not yet scrapbooked, on another CD. This way, if anyone's house burns down or gets flooded, or have something disasterous happen that would destroy such items, someone in the family will still have all the information needed to replace what was lost or damaged.

And with a digital camera, it really is not the much of an inconvenience to photograph everything considering none of it has to be taken and developed.

Judy
    Judy

A MERRY Heart Does GOOD Like a Medicine!

check out my blogs: http://scrappers.me.com/bitaglitz
    http:judy-forthemoment.blogspot.com