Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SAHM Schedule

Hybrid View

Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SAHM Schedule

So...sahm's...do you have a daily schedule? How do you get things done?

I've got two DDs...one is 4 and the other is 14 months. I'm trying to decide if I just really need to be more scheduled, or if this is just an age where I've got to just kind of get through...

Messy house. Bored older kiddo, wants to watch tv all the time, which i hate, but it's hard to do projects with the little one around...and i can't trust the older with scissors, etc unless i'm right there. I try to play with them, but it's like I'm watching the house self-implode. I end up trying to clean when DH gets home, but by the time it's bedtime, I want a break too...scrapbook, etc.

So...tips, thoughts, your schedule, etc.

Thanks!

Jess

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was briefly a SAHM when my son was 1st born then really worked only 1 1/2 days so I guess that still applies. I tried to get out of the house at least once a day, however briefly, to go to the park, a friends', maybe the grocery store. That would tire out my dd. I also used to give my dd safety scissors (only cut paper) and crayons and paper and she would go to town which allowed me to get a rest w/DS also. The house was always a mess but with summer and spring, I'd get them out of the house in the yard too (we had a little swing set). Hang in there... your schedule really revolves around how the kids are that day... just go w/the flow the best you can. ((HUGS))
    TALLIES 2017
    1. SCRAPBOOK PAGE TOTALS: 6
    2. CARD TOTALS: 3
    3. CARD KITS:

4. MINI BOOK:
    5. OTHER ALTERED PROJECTS: 1

"Dull Women Have Immaculate Houses"

Maria

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jess, being a SAHM can be a challenge. Keeping kids busy/entertained is hard at times. Summer vacation has been ok so far for us, with the oldest (8) keeping busy at different activities. Since my 5 yo isn't potty-trained or talking (autism), he doesn't get to participate in things his big brother does. My oldest does watch alot of tv and do computer, while the youngest pretty much does his own thing,
    Have some of the kids' friends and parents over for a playdate. It will help your sanity and theirs. Don't have activities/fun places to go every single day--allow the older one to be bored, and when she whines about it, have her clean (baby wipes or a duster, sweep the floor, carry things back to their proper place, etc).
    Library, pool time, park, even going to a different grocery store or Wal-Mart will help break up the days. Does the 4-yo have plans for school in the fall? If so, there's a break in your future. It will get better, promise.
    Oh, have a schedule for feeding, or else you will spend every free minute in the kitchen giving out snacks!
    Laura

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Laura has some great advice. Maybe you should look to see if there's a MOM's group in your area? I never joined but I really should have.
    "My mother said, 'You won't amount to anything because you procrastinate.' I said, 'Just wait.'" Judy Tenuta

I'm thankful for piles of laundry. It means my loved ones are nearby.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LuLu View Post
    Laura has some great advice. Maybe you should look to see if there's a MOM's group in your area? I never joined but I really should have.
    some of my friends joined the mom's club, too, but it didn't work with my work schedule. it's funny, now when I meet some of my kids friends mothers it seems like so many of them know eachother from that Moms group.

Stampin' Up! - Please PM me to order
    My Blog

2014 cards(4)
    2013 layouts (0), cards (86), other (3)

2012 layouts (3), cards (188) 7/6, other (51)
    2011:layouts (6), cards (142), other (23)
    2010:layouts (7), cards (139), other (113+)

[IMG]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wasn't a stay home mom when my kids were that age, but when my kids were young our neighborhood had a playgroup on friday mornings. since I worked from home that day I was able to take them. it was great, the kids played and I had some adult conversation. whoever hosted provided coffee, kids drinks and breakfast snacks. according to my stay at home mom friends, that helped break up the week.
    one of my friends had twin boys and a younger boy. I remember seeing a detailed list on her fridge which was a schedule. certain days even had specific laundry types on it and trips to target. she said it was the only way she could get things done.
    I give stay at home moms SO much credit. I know how I felt after a bad weekend home with my kids sometimes and I was very happy to drop them off ag daycare on Monday morning so I could have some alone time even if I had to be at work to get it! I know I sound like a terrible mother, bit that's how I felt sometimes.

Stampin' Up! - Please PM me to order
    My Blog

2014 cards(4)
    2013 layouts (0), cards (86), other (3)

2012 layouts (3), cards (188) 7/6, other (51)
    2011:layouts (6), cards (142), other (23)
    2010:layouts (7), cards (139), other (113+)

[IMG]

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cass17 View Post
    I know I sound like a terrible mother, bit that's how I felt sometimes.
    There's no way you should feel like a terrible mother! Your kids are happy and bright. There is no question in my mind that they will grow up to be very successful.
    "My mother said, 'You won't amount to anything because you procrastinate.' I said, 'Just wait.'" Judy Tenuta

I'm thankful for piles of laundry. It means my loved ones are nearby.

Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the responses.

We have activities, and DD is in pre-school again in the fall a couple of days a week. We're just at an awkward age gap right now...older really needs attention (like mentally, right), but younger wins that war b/c her needs are more physical (food/sleep/diapers).

I don't think anyone that works is a bad mother...I've often wondered if I'd be a better mother if I was out of the house more...the whole missing and appreciating them more thing.

My biggest thing is that I really fight the idea of a schedule...it's just not my thing, but probably would be better for the kids. We have a routine, but it's hard to stick to an actual schedule. More my failing than anything else. I was just hoping someone had some magical solution!

Jess

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jess, if you figure it out please let me know! I have the summer off too and have the toughest time not going to work and getting anything done around the house. DS (just turned 2) is constantly attached and I have the hardest time doing anything. Can't do laundry, washer is in the basement, bedrooms on the 2nd floor, etc. Pick up toys then they are out again.... to top it all off my 9yo stepson is here for the month and my husband took July off of work to "spend time with the kids," it will probably be a miracle if we don't kill each other or get divorced! Don't get me wrong, I love the kids and dh, but I am going crazy!

So, if you find a solution to this madness, let me know. :-)
    Ginny

Senior Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been a SAHM since my kids were born (they're a year apart). I could not have survived w/o schedules. I wasn't rigid about it, but having structure meant I didn't have to think about the little details.

CHORES, I apportioned throughout the week so everything got done at least once: Monday=Mop kitchen & qwik-clean baths (toilet/sink only) Tuesday=dust/vac upstairs; Wednesday=Wash sheets&towels; Thursday=dust/vac downstairs; Friday=Full clean baths. Laundry & general tidy was an everyday thing (or not!).

ACTIVITIES: Monday=flex/get ready for week; Tuesday=grocery shopping; Wednesday=errands/social; Thursday=library; Friday=flex/free

I'm not a very social person and am happy being on my own, but one of the best things I did was get together with two moms who had kids my kids' ages (and whose kids I liked!) and we would meet weekly on Wednesdays. We would rotate whose house. One mom would watch the kids, and the other mom would help the host mom with a project (cleaning, upholstering chairs, painting rooms, assembling furniture, cleaning windows). The kids got social play time, as did the moms, and we all were able to complete a project that we otherwise wouldn't have had time to do. We arrived at 9am, brought our own lunches, and left after the kids ate lunch (for naps, etc.).

MEALS, I scheduled dinners two weeks at a time, so I never had to stop to think about a creative, healthy dinner. It made grocery shopping much easier, too. Breakfasts and lunches were on a rotating schedule - something different every day, but week-to-week was the same (Monday=cereal; Tuesday=scrambled eggs; Wednesday=oatmeal; Thursday=egg sandwiches... etc.)

One more thought: I tried to make my kids (esp. the older one) as independent as possible so I could care for the younger one. Crayons and paper were at a reachable level and could only be used at their special play table. Drink cups were in a low cabinet so they could get water whenever they needed it (also, they could put their own dishes away while I was emptying the dishwasher!).

Finally... keep telling yourself that it will get easier, because it really DOES! Hang in there.
    - Denise -