Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I came across this and thought I would post it since it's such a hot trend right now.

Doodling on your layouts
    by Pamela E. (whover that is)

Penwork is an easy way to add an inexpensive handmade touch to your work of art. Even if you are like me and do not consider yourself a freestyle artist, you can find ways to work this hot trend into your layouts.

Practice makes perfect. The first step to feeling confident with your pen is to start with some basic lines and loops. Take out a scratch piece of paper and draw a box. In that box, draw some straight lines over and over again. Pay attention to how you hold the pen and the angle of your hand. A hand held to closely to the paper may tend to smudge your pen lines. Don't labor over each line; instead draw aimlessly and quickly. Once you feel confident with those lines, change direction and add some waves to the lines. Move to a new box and draw lines that swirl, curve, zig zag and loop in random patterns. Learn to accept "mistakes" and imperfections, as those are a trademark part of doodling.

Now it is time to go beyond basic lines. You are now ready to combine your lines with some basic shapes like stars, hearts, diamonds, flowers and circles. Start with the simple shape and then add outlines, dots or swirly lines. If you are not confident in your ability to draw the basic shapes, look for dingbat fonts or clip art that you can trace with a lightbox. Instead of drawing a shape, you could use doodles to accent a die cut, sticker or punched shape. Still not confident enough to draw directly on your page? Doodle onto a piece of cardstock and then add that to your layout.

Incorporating doodles into your layouts can be as easy as doodling something at the edges of the photos, to something as complex as an entire doodled background. Here are a few ideas for simple ways to add doodles to your layouts:

Handwrite your journaling on to doodle lines, adding some extra flourishes to a large drop cap letter at the beginning.

Draw doodle lines around your page, adding a few basic shapes in the corners.

Doodle onto a transparency and overlay that on your page.

Use a template to draw an outline letter and then fill in that letter with doodles.

Add doodles to a title or subtitle word.

Doodle on to a pre-made embellishment to make it your own.

Mix pen doodles with other random marks from paint, brads, rhinestones or thread.

Doodle random words around a photo mat or other shape.

By playing a little with your pens, you can find many ways to fit doodling into your personal scrapbook style. Keep it structured or make it totally random. However you do it, just be yourself and have fun!

Stampin' Up! - Please PM me to order
    My Blog

2014 cards(4)
    2013 layouts (0), cards (86), other (3)

2012 layouts (3), cards (188) 7/6, other (51)
    2011:layouts (6), cards (142), other (23)
    2010:layouts (7), cards (139), other (113+)

[IMG]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I came across this and thought I would post it since it's such a hot trend right now.

Doodling on your layouts
    by Pamela E. (whover that is)

Penwork is an easy way to add an inexpensive handmade touch to your work of art. Even if you are like me and do not consider yourself a freestyle artist, you can find ways to work this hot trend into your layouts.

Practice makes perfect. The first step to feeling confident with your pen is to start with some basic lines and loops. Take out a scratch piece of paper and draw a box. In that box, draw some straight lines over and over again. Pay attention to how you hold the pen and the angle of your hand. A hand held to closely to the paper may tend to smudge your pen lines. Don't labor over each line; instead draw aimlessly and quickly. Once you feel confident with those lines, change direction and add some waves to the lines. Move to a new box and draw lines that swirl, curve, zig zag and loop in random patterns. Learn to accept "mistakes" and imperfections, as those are a trademark part of doodling.

Now it is time to go beyond basic lines. You are now ready to combine your lines with some basic shapes like stars, hearts, diamonds, flowers and circles. Start with the simple shape and then add outlines, dots or swirly lines. If you are not confident in your ability to draw the basic shapes, look for dingbat fonts or clip art that you can trace with a lightbox. Instead of drawing a shape, you could use doodles to accent a die cut, sticker or punched shape. Still not confident enough to draw directly on your page? Doodle onto a piece of cardstock and then add that to your layout.

Incorporating doodles into your layouts can be as easy as doodling something at the edges of the photos, to something as complex as an entire doodled background. Here are a few ideas for simple ways to add doodles to your layouts:

Handwrite your journaling on to doodle lines, adding some extra flourishes to a large drop cap letter at the beginning.

Draw doodle lines around your page, adding a few basic shapes in the corners.

Doodle onto a transparency and overlay that on your page.

Use a template to draw an outline letter and then fill in that letter with doodles.

Add doodles to a title or subtitle word.

Doodle on to a pre-made embellishment to make it your own.

Mix pen doodles with other random marks from paint, brads, rhinestones or thread.

Doodle random words around a photo mat or other shape.

By playing a little with your pens, you can find many ways to fit doodling into your personal scrapbook style. Keep it structured or make it totally random. However you do it, just be yourself and have fun!

My Blog

2014 cards(4)

[IMG]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cass, is this your 1st tip of the week? I haven't noticed them before. Great idea to do tips. And you've given us a great tip to start with. I'm a doodler from way back but haven't done any doodleing on my los. I'll have to give this a try.
    Judy

Check out my scrappy blog at http://scrap-a-doodlestamping.blogspot.com/

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, this is the first tip. I was trying to find some ideas for loosening up in my scrapbooking (see my Personal Challenge post under challenges) and I came across this and thought it would be a great idea to try.

My Blog

2014 cards(4)

[IMG]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stamping Up has some AWESOME doodle stamps for anyone who "can't" do it on their own, like me.
    Cindy
    Independent Beauty Consultant
    www.marykay.com/cynthiaalarcon

Senior Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have some acrylic stamps that have the doodling designs on it.. and i love it!!

Senior Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Walmart is carrying a small line of clear stamps and they have a doodle set for less than $9.

Personally I love to doodle, (paisley is my fave)- I do it while I am stuck on a Sudoku puzzle along the edge of the page.

The other day I did one and I thought Crap! wish I had done that on a LO page instead of my puzzle book it came out really cool!

So ripped th epage out of my book and files it with my SB patterns for future reference!

Junior Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love to doodle on pages. Lately I've been using alot of doodles on my LO's I love doing spirals, vines and hearts then coloring them in almost like pen and ink drawings.
    ~~~
    Patty

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've done some simple doodles like squiggly lines that Creative memories showed years ago.
    Now I have the Doodle Genies b/c I AM doodle
    challenged! My dd can doodle and draw free hand anything.. little stinker!! Thanks for the instructions Cass, maybe they will help me!
    TALLIES 2017
    1. SCRAPBOOK PAGE TOTALS: 6
    2. CARD TOTALS: 3
    3. CARD KITS:

4. MINI BOOK:
    5. OTHER ALTERED PROJECTS: 1

"Dull Women Have Immaculate Houses"

Maria

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great tip Cass, thanks for posting! I have been practicing my doodling. I tend to like my scratch pad doodling more than my scrap LO doodling. I think cuz I am tense thinking that I am going to screw up my whole LO.

I think this board needs a seperate thread section for Tips and techniques.