Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

User Tag List

Thread: WARNING BEWARE

Senior Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Posted 14 April 2007 03:56 PM
    Ladies, many of you know me from diy, I'm miss T. Yesterday, on Oprah..they were listing scams, etc. Well I may have been close to being scammed, and I wanted to post this info just in case any of you, have had the same thing happen. YOU may want to read the entire post, if you are active on ebay.

Want to post just in case the same has happened to you. You may want to double you accounts, etc....change your passwords, etc. I notified my banks, and had them adjust my password, etc.)

Sometime around January, I placed a bid on ebay, after not buying anything for several months. I got a notification, from what I thought was ebay with logo and all, asking for the urgent attention to update my account. Well I clicked on the link, they asked me to verify my user account and password.....gave it to them, reply came back..you are now updated.

Well.....sometime in Feb. I received a call from an individuals saying I won a trip....I said okay..send me the tickets....they guy told me are you at the same address..(and told me my address) I said yes..that's right. THE NEXT thing he asked was okay we will send the tickets, I just need your bank account information???? I was smart enough to say %$#%$^$%$^$. I immediately called my bank, credit card co.,and changed my ebay password again.

Yesteday on Oprah....they noted this scam going on.....with someone posing as ebay, send the exact emails out to unsuspecting people.

Misty

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OUCH well good thing you said no!!! I got the same e-mail but I've never done any ebaying so I knew it was fake. Also, ebay and other sites like that usually say they will never e-mail about that kind of stuff or go asking for passwords.

Ziggy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I received an e-mail awhile back that was supposedly from ebay. It said they were going to report me to my local authority because I sold them something and didn't send it. Well, I've never sold anything on ebay. I notified ebay. It was a scam. Ebay sent me a notice back that said to look for your NAME on the emails. Only ebay knows your REAL NAME. If your real name is not on it, it is a scam and you need to forward it to the ebay people. Misty, I am so glad they didn't get you! People are getting so sneaky lately!
    Cindy
    Independent Beauty Consultant
    www.marykay.com/cynthiaalarcon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had those emails before (both Ebay and Paypal) and just with in 3 months of creating those accounts I called both to see what the heck why should I have to update my account when it was fairly new and they said if they emailed me for anything at all they would put "Dear first and last name" and if I got any that did not have that just Dear Ebayer/Paypaler then to report them to spoof and they would be right on it and I have always got an email with in 24 hrs tops say this was a spoof and not from them and they were taking care of it with just a little more detail but that was the jist of the letter they would send me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All really good tips....
    The greatest test of courage on earth is to bear defeat without losing heart.

Senior Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is the reply I posted over at the BBB to Misty- hopefully it will help someone out here,too.

The sort of scam you are talking about is called "phishing", they use spoof (fake) emails to get you to give up your ebay account info and ultimately your bank account info.

The emails will look authentic, ebay logo and everything. But if you follow the URL, you'll see it's not really from eBay.

Forward all emails that appear to be from eBay to: [email protected] , they will let you know if it is really from them or not.

For similar emails from PayPal, forward them to: [email protected]

These "spoof" or "phishing" emails
    may say something like the following:

*your credit info needs updating
    *account info needs updating
    *your credit card is expired
    *some one has tried to break into your account
    *you've won an item you never bid on
    etc...

Subject LInes may read something like:

*TKO account Notice
    *eBay/PayPal Account Suspended
    *Item WOn-Late Payment Notice (and it's an item you know you never bid on)

Always go DIRECTLY to the eBay website on your own to log into your account -
    <span class="ev_code_RED">NEVER FOLLOW A LINK IN AN EMAIL OR OTHER NOTICE.</span>

The best way to avoid this is to use your My Ebay page to keep track of messages- any message that is truly from ebay will show up there as well as in your regular email.

Hope these tips help to keep you safe on ebay.

Misty don't feel bad, my neighbor fell for the same thing, but later that night got thinking about it and called me- I told her all of the info above & she was able to take care of it before anything bad happened.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got the one from paypal and i freekedout and call paypal and they said that they did send it and that they would not send anything and it would have my me at the top.

becareful ladies.
    SAS is 5 years old... please join in the 5day online crop!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the same thing happen to me and it took eight months to clear it all up. The only difference I did not click on an email. Someone had just hacked into my ebay account and paypal account. So I now follow what Javamom has said. I am very careful now when using ebay and paypal. I have a account that is just for that, and there is never very much money in it. Thanks for evryone sharing and keeping us all informed.

Bardie