Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Half Marathon / Marathon

Who was it that ran one? I think it was Carol (Sprout), but not sure.

Or I have questions for anyone that has run one. Thanks.
    bonnie

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't know who it was but anyone who does that has my great admiration and respect.
    Judy

Check out my scrappy blog at http://scrap-a-doodlestamping.blogspot.com/

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My DH has run them so I might have some advice?
    Laura

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did PF Chang's half marathon last Jan. but I didn't run it, I walked it. What do you need to know?
    Carol
    born & raised desert rat
    The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start. John J. Bingham

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your replies. DH and I are signed up for a half marathon in August. DH will run it, I will be jogging it (I am currently jogging about 10 miles a day) so I shouldn't have any problems with jogging it (even if I am walking some of it).

What else did you do to prepare for it? What kind of meal did you eat the day/night before?
    bonnie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're already jogging 10 miles a day you shouldn't have any trouble doing the 13.1. Technically for a half they say you don't have to carb load (for walkers) but I did a little the day before & morning of. Bagels & bananas are good for the morning of, pasta for the night before. I carried with me Gu gel. It's a carb supplement that runners use. Biggest piece of advice I can give you is to try everything you're going to use on race day beforehand. PF Chang's had Cytomax for the electrolyte drink on the course so I used it on one of my training walks & I'm glad I did because it gave me horrible abdominal cramps. I ended up carrying my own drink because doing nothing but water won't work either. Check out any of the training sites, just google "half marathon training" & you'll get all sorts of differing opinions & tips. Just play around with different things to find what works for you.
    I'm signed up for PF Changs again in Jan. Too bad we aren't close so we could train together.
    Good luck.
    Carol
    born & raised desert rat
    The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start. John J. Bingham

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DH's advice is to not to eat anything too unusual a day or two before the race, so you intestinal system doesn't have a bad reaction to it. Be as hydrated as you can be and if you can't run the whole distance, take a walk break before you think you need one. Good luck, and let us cheer you on like we cheered Carol!
    Laura

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Way to go, Bonnie! I'm really happy for anyone that can do it. My knee wouldn't even let me think about it. Let us know how you're doing.
    Judith

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For those of you who are not on FB and have not seen the photos from the half marathon (13.1 miles) - I did complete the half marathon - running the entire time in 2:19:45 (not stopping). I placed 28th out of 46 women in my age group.

I briefly stopped once to try and drink something that was handed to me at a water station (it was not water), and I could not drink and run at the same time (cuz I tried), having it go all over me, so I threw the rest of it away.

My biggest concern was having to make a pitstop (or potty stop) and at mile 11, I saw the honey bucket signs, but never saw the honey buckets, so I just had to keep on going.

My next adventure started this morning with boot camp (I purchased a 30 day membership through Groupon).

I am contemplating a 10k on September 12th, but have yet to sign up for it. There is also another half marathon on September 26th, still contemplating that one as well. They are both flat courses (which is good). In the meantime, I continue to run and am involved in Challenges on the Nike+ (I have a Nike shoe sensor) site which definitely keeps me motivated.
    bonnie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

Bonnie, hats off to you. I could never do that. I'm doing P.F. Changs again in Jan. but only the half & I walk, not run. I've been trying to do more running but am still having trouble with my heart rate. Can I get personal & ask what age group you are in?
    Again, congratulations!
    Carol
    born & raised desert rat