Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In looking at layouts in the scrapbooking magazines and books, I'm always amazed at the way they have credit the various companies for every paper, embellishment, die cut, sticker pen, etc. As we've discussed on another thread, I know that copyright issues are at play here, but how in the world do these folks keep track of the source of every button, doodad, piece of paper, etc., especially if it's a layout they did months ago? Not that I plan to submit any layouts, but I'm just curious.
    Victoria

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I would have a hard time remembering what paper I used if it was from while ago, but I usually keep all the other stuff in the packages they came in so I would just go look in my stuff.

Stampin' Up! - Please PM me to order
    My Blog

2014 cards(4)
    2013 layouts (0), cards (86), other (3)

2012 layouts (3), cards (188) 7/6, other (51)
    2011:layouts (6), cards (142), other (23)
    2010:layouts (7), cards (139), other (113+)

[IMG]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the very reason why I don't submit to magazines - having to keep track of the stuff I use. I think some people just write on the backs of their layouts what they used.
    bonnie

Senior Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I understand what you are saying, and have wondered the same thing myself. I agree with Bonnie...it would take all the fun out having to keep track of every item. At least when I submit my digital layouts, I know where the elements came from and can credit accordingly.
    I almost hate to bring this up, but....seeing how the digital sites are so fussy, I wonder if we are 'breaking' copyright by posting our layouts without credit. Actually, I wonder where 'fair use' comes into all this.

Senior Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried googling and am no less confused than I was. But it seems librarians are as confused as we are. For example, you can compile a scrapbook of clippings from the newspaper for personal use, and even though the clippings are copyrighted to the newspaper, it is legal. BUT if you now SELL the scrapbook, are you breaking the law. Some librarians say yes...others say no. Hmmm.

Here is a link to one persons opinion of copyright and scrapbooking...

http://ezinearticles.com/?Copyright:-Five-Facts-Every-S...ds-To-Know!&id=26773

and here is a cute link that really didn't clarify anything, but the video is cute...
    http://mycrazyinbox.blogspot.com/200...ight-work.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't keep close eye on the items that I use when I scrapbook, but I heard someone on another board say they kept a list of what they used as they use it and even listed the items on the back of the LO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can see where keeping track of every little item would become drudgery. Lisa
    The greatest test of courage on earth is to bear defeat without losing heart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read an article online somewhere from a scrapper who keeps a notebook and writes her supplies down and then puts a small picture of her LO on the page too. She also writes the date and any other information about the LO that she thinks is important. Example may be: where the picture originally came from, who is in the picture, what was going on, where is the original photo stored, etc. Basically, one is just making a bibliography for each LO. I can see where this information would come in handy later on. Maybe it wouldn't be too time consuming if you had an organizational sheet printed out already so you just fill in the blanks as you go.

Didn't someone here post about information that she puts in the back of her scrapbooks? Was it ScrappySam? I thought that was a good idea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When doing LO's or cards for submission, I keep a record of what I've used - those are different from my own scrapbooking pages. Submission work is usually exact in what they are looking for - so the LO's are done especially for the submission, instead of grabbing a LO I've done - It's a bit easier to keep track of what is used - most papers have a trademark somewhere on them (& if I don't know where that button came form it's called: generic button - LOL). Some publications require you to have a "model release" form with the LO's (anyone in the photo must release the right for you to use their image for publication - no crowd shots for me - LOL). PLUS any professional photographer's pictures must have an artist release form. (even the yearly J.C. Penny/Sears kiddy shots) Remember that these publications are hardcopy and they are makeing a profit from what they print - copyrights come into play.

I sign and date each of my LO's on the back - but - the LO is journaled, mentioning the people in the photos. My LO's are albumed by year w/only an added album(s) for trips/vacations. Since I only do 8.5x11, as I've mentioned before, they are all housed in notebooks that I've made to look all alike - like the old-time encyclopedias.

The issue of copyrights in scrapbooking has been ignored for years - but now that more and more SB work is shown online - the online copyrights are finally being addressed. It's not just "the web" anymore, it's considered a publication. I think the word profit is the key for online sites - if there is a profit - it's going to be looked at by the original supplier/designer. It's only going to become more restricted - thank you hardcopy publications! For NOW forums and personal galleries are still soft on "rights" but that may change in the near future. FYI: we're safer at SAS - there's no profit nor advertiser sponsoring this site.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure the "Big Kahuna" could answer some of these questions -- let's ask

sam